Food storage vacuum systems

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In my Kitchenaid I can cut it 1x1x2 and be fine. I'm hoping not much smaller for this. If it runs right, I'll be chugging to keep up. I'm at teh point with the KA that if I do a LOT, I've got to do it in batches b/c I'm afraid I'm burning out the motor. It gets hot.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Well that sucks. ;)

(Had to look it up. $900. Weighs 84lbs. I’m sure I’d never get my money back on that. Wow!)

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not able to allocate a grand for a vacuum sealer, but recognize the advantages.

Understanding the < $100 food saver devices don't last forever and probably don't do as good a job, can you recommend a (good-ish) vacuum sealer that can bag foods like meat and also seal mason jars with an attachment, that won't break the bank?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm not able to allocate a grand for a vacuum sealer, but recognize the advantages.

Understanding the < $100 food saver devices don't last forever and probably don't do as good a job, can you recommend a (good-ish) vacuum sealer that can bag foods like meat and also seal mason jars with an attachment, that won't break the bank?
I have heard good things about Cabela's sealers. try the "sportsmans" line from what I hear.

brain_8972

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn, you don't mess around..I would love to own that.

My FoodSaver won't stop vacuuming, I have to manually stop then seal the bag...2 years old.So shopping for a new one currently, not urgent because it still works most of the time.
This is likely due to a leak somewhere, either in the seal or the actual vacuum mechanism. If you feel adventurous you could probably remedy it. We used to use consumer-grade food savers when I worked in the restaurant business, and they obviously wouldn't last long but would have similar issues.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Messing around with the Food Saver Quick Marinating Canister today. Using the v2244 with the hose attachment. I think the VacMaster VP215 should come with an accessory port. Then again, its kinda heavy to bring out for a simple task.
0F8D9420-0589-4E6B-844F-CEEBC0258325.jpeg

Last edited:

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Missing around with the Food Saver Quick Marinating Canister today. Using the v2244 with the hose attachment. I think the VacMaster VP215 should come with an accessory port. Then again, its kinda heavy to bring out for a simple task.
View attachment 332987
until yesterday I had a handheld for jars. It died. Also, I realized I don't need it as I only seal small jars now. So I tossed it.
One of these things.
View: https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FSFRSH0051-P00-FreshSaver-Handheld-Rechargeable/dp/B006L8C4W2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3FS9TQBV52G33&keywords=handheld+vacuum+sealer+for+jars&qid=1582155238&sprefix=hand+held+vacuu%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-4

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Does it work with jar attachments? The quick marinater? Do I need special bags?
Sorry, my Godamn Amazon account was hacked. Story for another day. :rolleyes:

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Foodsaver is old, probably close to 20 years, and works fine. It was my Mom's. As true with most appliances they don't build them to last anymore.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have one of the Cabala's Commercial Grades sealers that we bought a few years back when they went on sale for a really good price. We packed up half a beef with it a week after it was purchased. Didn't miss a beat then, and has kept on chugging ever since. Even took it back home t the midwest with me a few times to loan out for packing up a couple elk, some mulies and countless deer as well as fish fillets when I've been headed that way and knew it would be handy to have.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Does it work with jar attachments? The quick marinater? Do I need special bags?
Sorry, my Godamn Amazon account was hacked. Story for another day. :rolleyes:
It works with the jar attachments. No idea if it works with the other things. Mine died and like I said, I tossed it. Still trying to decide if I will replace it. We are doing a lot of down sizing but I will keep the jar attachments for now and see if i get tired of using the chamber sealer for my small jars or if I actually need to vacuum seal large jars. My guess is that in the near future y'all may see them up for grabs though.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Question for you guys. I'm new to this and I tend to jump into things without doing research. Long story short I vacuum sealed a ton of stuff with oxygen absorbers. Then after reading realized you should be using mylar bags for long-term storage. They say FoodSaver is only good for a couple of years. I really don't want to have to start opening these bags up to dump them into new bags. Can I just put those vacuum sealed bags into mylar bags with absorbers and still get the extended shelf life?

Top Bottom