Food storage vacuum systems

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use the food saver. I would suggest that you buy the best one that you can afford. Get the one that has all the bells and whistles that you think you might want or could use in the future.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Food Saver. In addition to making bags, there are many accessories. I use the mason jar vac a lot, there's canisters and other containers fitted with the lid vac system.
Not just for food, seal up a waterproof supply bag, matches, gauze, aspirin, etc. I've made freezer gel packs in different sizes using dish liquid detergent. Maybe a shower gun......

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Like others have said, depends on how much you want to spend and how much you use it.

From my posts in the other thread someone shared:
The new ones seem to last less than 2 years old. I had one for years and it was great. Went missing in a move and bought a new one, done within about 15 months. I bought a chamber sealer. The huge advantage is that the bags make up for the cost of the machine very quickly and it's a workhorse.
Foodsavers, in my experience, It overheats. the heating element gets too hot and the machine will shut down.
I used to get about 3 bags sealed and then have to stop and wait. Not a problem with the chamber sealer. Oh, and depending on how much you use it, you easily make up the difference in cost with the chamber bags (about 6 cents each, versus what was costing me at least 3 times that much with food saver).

VP 215 is what I own and use. also seals small canning jars. DOES NOT REPLACE CANNING. I use this feature for either dry things or sealing and refrigerating things like salsa or sauce.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the NESCO VS-12. Currently around 100 bucks with starter rolls. Haven't tried it for anything wet yet, but it works good so far.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've got this one:

Had it for a few months, use it regularly. No complaints.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this one:

Had it for a few months, use it regularly. No complaints.
I've got the 15", no issues. If it dies I'll be going with a chamber setup.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Damn, you don't mess around..I would love to own that.
considering how fast I burnt out the previous food saver, and how slow it was because I tend to buy "in bulk" I figured I would spend as much in 3 years on machines as what I spent on the VP 215. The bags being cheaper by so much, and not having to make my own, was an extra bonus. Makes the packaging that much faster. And fewer seals made by me is less chance for seals to fail.

Example: When italian sausage goes on sale for $3.99 per pound, I buy usually 60 links. I seal them 3 to a bag, that's a meal per week for 20 weeks. This sausage is usually $6.99/pound and the only one I like that has no extra crap added into it. I also grind my own pork so I buy a pork loin at $1.89/$1.99 per pound, usually about 10 lbs per loin, grind, package a pound per bag and freeze until ready to use. Have you ever bought plain ground pork at a market? It's easily $4.99/lb and up. I can't remember how much we spent on the grinder but for a while there every time I would grind up a loin I would announce something like "just saved us $40!"

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn, you don't mess around..I would love to own that.

My FoodSaver won't stop vacuuming, I have to manually stop then seal the bag...2 years old.So shopping for a new one currently, not urgent because it still works most of the time.
That sucks! Or not.... I have my mom's, no idea how old it is. She passed in '15 and I know she had it for many years.
Most newer appliances both small and large don't last long.

Twigg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Another vote for the food saver machine. We use the mason jar sealer adapter also when I'm making broth. The only things going into bags are fresh caught fish and fresh picked / frozen berries. Pretty much everything gets canned.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Food Saver user but only because of the ease. It’s our 3rd or 4th unit. Heater bar fails.
I would have dug deeper for a better unit but I needed this one right away.

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Like others have said, depends on how much you want to spend and how much you use it.

From my posts in the other thread someone shared:
The new ones seem to last less than 2 years old. I had one for years and it was great. Went missing in a move and bought a new one, done within about 15 months. I bought a chamber sealer. The huge advantage is that the bags make up for the cost of the machine very quickly and it's a workhorse.
Foodsavers, in my experience, It overheats. the heating element gets too hot and the machine will shut down.
I used to get about 3 bags sealed and then have to stop and wait. Not a problem with the chamber sealer. Oh, and depending on how much you use it, you easily make up the difference in cost with the chamber bags (about 6 cents each, versus what was costing me at least 3 times that much with food saver).

VP 215 is what I own and use. also seals small canning jars. DOES NOT REPLACE CANNING. I use this feature for either dry things or sealing and refrigerating things like salsa or sauce.
In terms of the cannisters, you put the food in the jar with the lid on, put that in the chamber, apply vacuum, take it out and the canister/jar is vacuum sealed?

That should work if one had a lab vacuum chamber just as well, yes?

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You don't need to MANUALLY stop the machine and then seal it if it won't stop sucking. Just press SEAL. I do this often to things I don't want compressed into a pancake.

I had a Sears knockoff for years. It barely worked right. It wouldn't get a good seal. It was like a clarinet player after an all-night blues marathon. Just couldn't seal! Wound up replacing it with a FoodSaver 2 years ago. Oh. This works! LOL

What off-brands of bags are people using??? Roll-of-tube or individual bags??? I like roll-o-tube.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Mine is about 4yrs old and just starting to do this.
Took mine a bit longer than 4 yrs. I actually think it was partially a blessing. Could really manipulate whatever i was sealing to get all the air out before sealing.
Bought a Weston this year and it seems to pull a bit more of a vacuum. So far so good.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Unrelated but related - I picked up a Cabela's 1/2HP meat grinder this afternoon. Grinding hamburger in my Kitchenaid is getting old. It's an hour process just to grind 20-30lbs. Allegedly this will take less than 10 minutes. On sale.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
In terms of the cannisters, you put the food in the jar with the lid on, put that in the chamber, apply vacuum, take it out and the canister/jar is vacuum sealed?

That should work if one had a lab vacuum chamber just as well, yes?
Mine can only do pint sized jars and I think just 2 at a time. IIRC you put the lid and ring on (finger tight only). And yes, any vacuum chamber large enough to hold the jar would work. I do pretty much all my sealing on a 30 sec evac and 10 sec seal cycle. But I use a 6(?) mil bag so it takes a little longer for a seal.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Unrelated but related - I picked up a Cabela's 1/2HP meat grinder this afternoon. Grinding hamburger in my Kitchenaid is getting old. It's an hour process just to grind 20-30lbs. Allegedly this will take less than 10 minutes. On sale.
I have a meat grinder. The "biggest" part of grinding is having to cut up the meat small enough to go through the feeder. Other than that it's AWESOME. Next time, I will get one that has a larger feeder/hopper/whatever they call it. Maybe.

Top Bottom