Food, Ammo and Gold

Finding a group of like-minded people is key to making and post-SHTF scenario work. In our house, it is just 3 of us, and my son is six. Pooling resources is great.

- Make sure that all of the folks are on the same page
- Make sure that there is a similar level of commitment (not everybody has the same amount of $$$, but they can make up for it in enthusiasm)
- Make sure that skill-sets are complimentary rather than redundant. (e.g. if you have a plumber in your group, see if you can find an electrician or a GC. Our group has a doctor)
- Keep in touch with F2F meetings, rather than email. You can never tell how a person will be F2F. Remember, this guy might be in a foxhole with you...
- Share the responsibility of pooling resources (I am our "guns and ammo guy"). Others are looking at gathering food and planting.
- Go to church/synanagogue. God is your friend
- Remember that you are here to make sure that your loved ones and children see a better world.

Another thing to remember to pre-purchase that I had forgotten: clothes for kids. One of the members of our group is buying inexpensive clothes for her kinds in the next 5 sizes. Now that is planning...

not to steer the subject of off TP, but what about tobacco as currency? I am not a tobacco user myself, but was thinking that keeping some cans of chew or cartons of cigarettes may be good for bartering. any thoughts?

Here is a good read along the lines of what is being discussed in this thread:

The Alpha Strategy:
http://www.biorationalinstitute.com/zcontent/alpha_strategy.pdf

It talks about accumulating goods as a way of keeping your wealth. Especially in relation to an inflationary economic environment.

The book does mention tobacco and certain types of alchohol as effective stores of wealth.

I would think in today's climate any sort of tobacco products are probably not quite as important as they used to be - smoking rates have gone way down.

Plus if you are going to buy tobacco I would suggest trying some other states. We were down in Florida a few weeks back and noticed that a carton of cigarrettes were probably about half the price of what you would pay for them up here.

Back
Top Bottom