Food Allergies

Just found out that I am allergic to wheat, soybeans, and potatoes along with a few other things. It is funny because my wife is worried about what to eat now and I am thinking I need more rice, corn and oats for our LTS. Potatoes were one of our big survival crops in the plan so now I will look at more squash and jerusalum artichokes as a substitute. The JAs dont have the calories though. Soy is in just about everything.

Also allergic to blueberries and raspberries. Both of which are wild on our property and we get but the bucket. Will be adding more strawberries next year.

Hazelnuts too. PLanted a dozen of them last year. Dont have any other fast growing nut option that I know of. We do have some hickories on the property that are mature but other than that it is the 5 year wait for the walnuts to start producing.

It is making me think about the changes that I need to make to my plans.

Are you sure you are allergic to all those things, or did someone who doesn't take insurance run some tests? I only ask because I've had some first hand experience with the food allergy crowd and they have more than their fair share of snake-oil salsemen. I was told I had a long list of allergies and needed to go on a rotation diet of the foods that wasn't on the list. I am allergic to one of the things on their list, but that's all.

I totally eleminated everything on the list and ate a very narrow diet for 2 weeks. Then, when my body had adjusted to that and I didn't feel crappy, I added back 1 item on the list for a week, working up to big helpings. Only one of them made me feel crappy...corn, my favorite veggie, and is in freaking everything (all the sweeteners, modified food starch, xanthan gum, dextros...).

Hope you are able to shorten the banned list. Good luck.

I'm allergic to seafood - makes my face inflate, turns me red, and I feel like K-rap. My son had a (one) scallop when he was 3 - same thing, and I'm not trying my daughter. My wife loves the stuff.

I just make sure everything I buy (MRE's, food products for storage) are seafood free.

Just found out that I am allergic to -

wheat
soybeans
potatoes
blueberries
raspberries
hazelnuts

Ditto on type of testing you got, that is an odd group of food allergies. If you are allergic to hazelnuts, I would thing you would be allergic to other tree nuts as well? Allergies do get worse as you age, were you noticing health issues leading up to this?

Basically it was joint pain, nausea and just generally feeling like crap. They ran me through all the regular tests and everything came back negative. Someone recommended I take a food allergen test. I talked to several people who had done it and it fixed their problem. Pretty much I dont eat anything on the bad list for 6 weeks and then I can try adding some of these back in one at a time. Fortunately it is not a life threatening type of food allergy. We shall see. If it works and I feel better than it is worth it.

Ditto on type of testing you got, that is an odd group of food allergies. If you are allergic to hazelnuts, I would thing you would be allergic to other tree nuts as well? Allergies do get worse as you age, were you noticing health issues leading up to this?

Tree nut allergies often follow botanical classifications. In other words, someone allergic to hazelnuts might only suffer similar reactions to other closely related tree nuts such as filberts, and not react to pistachios. Google "tree nut families" for more info.

as someone who practices Otolaryngic Allergy (ENT as well as associated ENT related allergy) i would suggest you find a traditional Allergist (non-ENT allergy ie. general, food, etc) for further evaluation if not currently under their care. food allergy can be tricky.

Coastie, this sounds exactly like my "allergy" to corn. Muscle & joint pains and generally feeling like hammered dog$h!t starting 1 day after eating it and lasting for 3-4 days.

I've heard it called a food sensitivity instead of allergy because it's not a normal allergy reaction and not caught with the normal allergy tests. Traditional allergy tests all came up negative for me too. I bet you saw a lot of doctors and suffered for a bunch of years before figuring things out. Good luck with it!

"sensitivity" or intolerance as it were typically represents a digestive response. bottom line is there are numerous idiosyncratic reactions to foods and those sound like yours [wink] hope the elimination diet works! good luck

I have celiac's disease now maybe it is different for you but if you are allergic to wheat it is most likely the gluten protien in it that you are allergic too. If that is the case be careful with oats as they are almost always contaminated with wheat gluten during proccessing. and good luck with the gluten free stuff man it is hard enough to find foods I can eat without the "SHTF" senario playing into it. On another note about the oats, oats do not contain gluten so if you are careful in the wash and proccess of them you should be fine good luck.

Good luck with that. I have many food allergies and sensitivities. Most of them had to be identified by that diet where I add back potential allergens one by one. I still eat a few of the ones I'm sensitive to (like wheat), since if I ate the perfect allergen-free diet all the time, I'd starve. I only avoid the more problematic ones.

And the weirdest ones that I discovered were the nightshades... I absolutely positively must not eat the slightest speck of peppers or potatoes or I will be barely able to walk for 2 weeks. I don't think it is even technically an allergy... the nightshades have toxins such as atropine that for some reason my liver doesn't bother to filter out (or something like that -- it is not well understood).

Anyway, this has had a major effect on what I store. Rice is fine so I have lots of rice and beans saved. What I miss most is not being able to make use of TVP since that is soy... so there goes a major source of protein that I could store. Sure, I can store real dried meats but they cost much more than TVP.

Back
Top Bottom