• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Foam for gun case

I am going to build a carry case for a rifle. Finding foam for the case is an issue. Internet searches reveal places I can get foam but I don't know how to tell if the foam is the right density (stiffness). A trip to Jo-Anne Fabrics was disappointing. They have foam but it is too soft and a hideous green color. Do you know of a dealer in central MA that has foam?

http://www.foamerica.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21 try here or call pelican case for replacement foam. either way its a bit $$$

There is/was a fabric store in Whitman mass corner of rt 18 and 14. They had a down stairs filled with all sorts of foam and rubber. Would go there for replacement foams for boat,hunting seats. have not been there or by there in many years.

There is/was a fabric store in Whitman mass corner of rt 18 and 14. They had a down stairs filled with all sorts of foam and rubber. Would go there for replacement foams for boat,hunting seats. have not been there or by there in many years.

Its called Saflers and is still there. And still has tons of foam in all types, colors and density.

The stuff you want is commonly called "camera case foam", and it's not cheap.

When you do find the stuff you're looking for, you'll want to cut and fit it as professionally and nicely looking as possible.

There are several methods... putting it in the freezer first, using an electric carving knife, buying or making a hot wire foam cutter, using a long bladed utility knife, etc.

Foam Rubber Discount Center 169 Brighton Ave., Allston, MA

They have all sorts of different types and are great to deal with.

Keep in mind that alot of foam absorbs water/moister. At one point safflers had a section for "storage case foam" last time I went 15 years ago it was just a mess of foam piled every where

I've been thinking about replacing the foam in a Dosko case I have. The case still works great and locks, but the foam inside is starting to go I think. Everytime I take a rifle to the range in it, its covered in foam dust when I take it out.

You can also try looking for a place that reupholsters furniture. I had to get several densities of open and closed cell foam for a project, and the couple of furniture places I went to had a pretty wide variety. Unfortunately, these stores weren't around here, so I can't recommend any specific store.

Not entirely off the subject, but I am looking for some "ethafoam", which is normally used for packing crates for delicate instruments. I need it for an archery target I want to build. The beauty of ethafoam is that it is "closed cell" and self sealing. Shoot an arrow into it, and then pull it out. The hole seals back over rather than leave a hole.

Ethafoam comes in various densities, and I need the really dense type, and enough to make a block 3 feet square, and 2 feet thick.

Someone suggested that there was a place in NH where I could get that, but I'm lost.... any ideas????

Old Colony Foam Pack
47 Mellen St.,
Framingham, MA 01702
(508) 872-8523

The only place I know of that sells ethafoam, its not cheap last time it was cheaper to buy the archery targets pre made.

Have you tried compressed carpets ? or even a thin piece of ethafoam 2 or 3 " backed with rags or card board/carpet.
I have not shot my bow in many many years.

Back
Top Bottom