• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FNG - Recipe Question

Okay, so I took Eddie Coyle's class already and I'm at the point where I want to make some ammo (duh)

I have two books, Lyman's 49th and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee 2nd edition.

I also have
Powder : Titegroup
Projectile : Hornady 9mm 115gr FMJ RN ( http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-.355-115-gr-FMJ-RN/ )
Brass : Mixed, but all inspected
Primer : CCI Small Pistol Primer

The books don't have anything specific on what the recipe should be for this combination of powder and bullet.

Lee has titegroup listed for 115 gr XTP, 115 gr lead
Lyman has titegroup listed for 115gr JHP

and of course, the jug has it's data on it as well, but for 115gr Spr GDHP

Researching this online, I've seen a starting point should be 3.9gr of Titegroup with a OAL of 1.100 to 1.125.

Does this seem reasonable?
Anyone have a book that lists this combination?

My apologizes for being a nervous nelly, but I'd rather not have this blow up on me :)

For most pistol applications, bullet profile is less important than weight. I personally am not a fan of Lee's 'borrowed' data. I would use the Lyman data for the 115gr JHP to start and call it a day.

I would probably go with the longest COL that cycles well in my gun. The Hodgdon website lists 1.169" for a 115gr FMJ bullet. I'd start at the high end of the lead FMJ load or about 4.2gr

I would probably go with the longest COL that cycles well in my gun. The Hodgdon website lists 1.169" for a 115gr FMJ bullet. I'd start at the high end of the lead FMJ load or about 4.2gr

For a 115 Lead RN they recommend 1.100"

For a 115 GR. SPR GDHP it is 1.125

1.169 is very long for a 115

some people in that thread are talking about loads for berry's too, but remember plated bullets are not the same as jacketed.

What is the general consensus about loading a high pressure auto cartridge for a first time reloader? I ask this because Titegroup has very narrow min/max load data. Not much room for error.

Call or email hornady. They will give you data for specific bullets.
Hornady 7th addition page 798 list Col as 1.100 the 35557 bullet.
No powder data for titegroup.

Last edited:
What is the general consensus about loading a high pressure auto cartridge for a first time reloader? I ask this because Titegroup has very narrow min/max load data. Not much room for error.

Not a problem. I've loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm w/Titegroup, including at values a few tenths higher than book max, no problem. The load I ended up with though was still below max in some data I found. You'll discover that there is a lot of variance in handgun load data. At that point you just have to make informed decisions, etc...

And if you don't have a chronograph... buy one!

-Mike

One of the most enjoyable reloading purchases I have made.
Yes.....its also fun to run factory ammo over it and see just how inconsistant it is.
I did a lot of wolf 223 testing and it was all over the place. Non exceeded 3200fps
In one box of wolf milclasic I had a low of 2567fps and a high of 3139fps
Ohh the joy.

Noxin - I was pretty happy with the Hornady 115gr FMJs over 4.6gr of Titegroup and CCI SP Primers, with a C.O.A.L. of 1.100"

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions everyone. I need to grab a couple more books and a chrono to make my life easier

I use the manufacturers data for specific bullets. Not so much for cast. For those I go by weight and profile and start low. For auto pistols I load as long as will feed reliable in magazines.

Back
Top Bottom