• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FN is finally getting their act together!

Is there any trigger in a striker fired gun that doesn’t feel like crap compared to a hammer gun equivalent?

I may be to old to understand this love for striker fired pistols. I own a few, and have shot a ton more but none have impressed me with their triggers.

Whats the value here I’m missing?

(Sorry for the drift op)
I agree. Hammer fired is superior.

Am I the only one who doesn't particularly care if I'm using a Glock trigger or a 1911 trigger? As long as it's not very vague and sloppy with a lot of unnecessary travel, I don't mind it.

.45 is not going anywhere, it's still very popular, especially in competitive shooting.
1. No your not. Even the vague sloppy strikers I can "learn" to shoot well enough. Do I enjoy the trigger on a good hammer gun? Yes. But I can learn to shoot anything "good enough"

2. Agreed. 45acp isn't going anywhere. I know I'll draw some fire and be listed as "fudd factor".....but there are enough guys shooting lswc 45 in bullseye league and pin shoots to keep it going.

Is there any trigger in a striker fired gun that doesn’t feel like crap compared to a hammer gun equivalent?

I may be to old to understand this love for striker fired pistols. I own a few, and have shot a ton more but none have impressed me with their triggers.

(Sorry for the drift op)

The value prop is most striker guns like Glocks dont cost a lot, and the "system" works well and you have a thing with no extranous bullshit. Pull trigger gun goes bang. An ADD addled moron like myself can service a glock with minimal tooling. Parts are everywhere. Lots of mag compatibility and holster compatibility.

The guns like to work. All. The. Time. The guns aren't heavy and lack protrusions to get stuck on things during carry etc.

While I have "traditional" guns (a few 1911, a CZ Shadow, a P226 Legion, Beretta 92X) with the best triggers in my safe I will counter your argument a bit by saying I've seen some bad hammer fired guns, too.... in all of these cases I'm about to drop here, a cleaned up Glock trigger w/OCC or a Glock w/apex trigger = way better than any of these.

-some Sig P series guns produced during the early cohen days. Some of these guns had garbage f***ing sears in them that had a creepy break in SA or a stiff wall in SA that made
"breaking a shot without disturbing the gun" unnessarily difficult. In some cases with the right people these could be fixed, though.

-Most of HK's polymer framed, hammer fired DA/SA product line. The DA on things like a P30, USP, etc, is f***ing horrible unless you have the DA worked over really well. Most stack, have grit or other BS.

-Most stock Beretta 92FS / M9 pistols - the f***ing SA trigger creep that is (usually) on these guns is f***ing intolerable. Thankfully things like the 92X don't have it at
all. But lots of 92FS and M9 etc have that creepy f***ing sear break... that when you feel it via muscle memory it starts messing with your brain.

-Derringer triggers. I know why they do it (likely safety issue) but the sears on things like bond arms derringers are abnormally heavy.

I dont own one right now but the Walther PPK has the worst DA pull on the planet. You can wyatt earp that f***ing thing recklessly if you wanted and it would never ND if its in DA mode. It only takes about 800 lbs of force before it fires. [laugh]

There are plenty of other shittarific hammer fired guns that aren't that great vs a glock either.

The value prop is most striker guns like Glocks dont cost a lot, and the "system" works well and you have a thing with no extranous bullshit. Pull trigger gun goes bang. An ADD addled moron like myself can service a glock with minimal tooling. Parts are everywhere. Lots of mag compatibility and holster compatibility.

The guns like to work. All. The. Time. The guns aren't heavy and lack protrusions to get stuck on things during carry etc.

While I have "traditional" guns (a few 1911, a CZ Shadow, a P226 Legion, Beretta 92X) with the best triggers in my safe I will counter your argument a bit by saying I've seen some bad hammer fired guns, too.... in all of these cases I'm about to drop here, a cleaned up Glock trigger w/OCC or a Glock w/apex trigger = way better than any of these.

-some Sig P series guns produced during the early cohen days. Some of these guns had garbage f***ing sears in them that had a creepy break in SA or a stiff wall in SA that made
"breaking a shot without disturbing the gun" unnessarily difficult. In some cases with the right people these could be fixed, though.

-Most of HK's polymer framed, hammer fired DA/SA product line. The DA on things like a P30, USP, etc, is f***ing horrible unless you have the DA worked over really well. Most stack, have grit or other BS.

-Most stock Beretta 92FS / M9 pistols - the f***ing SA trigger creep that is (usually) on these guns is f***ing intolerable. Thankfully things like the 92X don't have it at
all. But lots of 92FS and M9 etc have that creepy f***ing sear break... that when you feel it via muscle memory it starts messing with your brain.

-Derringer triggers. I know why they do it (likely safety issue) but the sears on things like bond arms derringers are abnormally heavy.

I dont own one right now but the Walther PPK has the worst DA pull on the planet. You can wyatt earp that f***ing thing recklessly if you wanted and it would never ND if its in DA mode. It only takes about 800 lbs of force before it fires. [laugh]

There are plenty of other shittarific hammer fired guns that aren't that great vs a glock either.
That should be FN’s sales pitch…”so simple an ADD addled moron can do it”.

(Sorry for the drift op)
I'm a fan of berettas's apx.
As well as my most recent purchase of an arex delta gen 2

FN is often tone deaf. Like I'm sure it might be better now, but 6 months ago the 509? whatever has literally the shittiest trigger ive ever used on a striker fired handgun, only thing worse is a smegma or something like that, although that Beretta APX or whatever it is is pretty close. It's literally crunchy and breaks poorly. And worse yet, you can't easily fix it yourself like with a Glock, M&P, etc. The right thing would have been for them to recall it and fix the guns.

The real curses though.... Poor / nonexistent aftermarket support. (Recoil spring breaks 2 days before a competition? Good luck getting a replacement. ) Poor parts/accessories support. If they really wanted people to buy those things in droves they need to "coat the earth" with stuff and make sure dealers have it. And get magazines that arent retarded in cost or obscure etc. I can go into a gun shop and find personnel who will tell you in depth knowledge of a glock, sig, or even SW M&P trigger system and get you to an outcome
you like. The same cannot be said for FN. Part of the staying power of bigs like Glock or Sig is that their stuff is EVERYWHERE and people to work on their stuff is everywhere. I can make a few phone calls and get glock parts locally if I needed them rapidly. Sig not as good but its at least possible. Want to grab a few extra mags while hitting up gun shops? Glock and Sig- people will have their shit in stock. You can just buy it off the peg. Even CZ stuff is easier to get. (like I know 2 or 3 shops I can nearly be assured I'll find P10 magazines in, not so much with FN. )

Also holsters. I can find a wider variety of holster manufacturers that will make holsters in a half dozen or more styles for a glock or sig product. FN? good luck with that.

Of course some skinflint going to go "but myke you can just buy it onlyne" when you needed it yesterday that doesn't work out so hot.

Also there is another thing, which shouldn't matter but does. How committed are they to a model? You look at the bigs, they dont dump product or very slowly. The fact that FN
dumps something like the FNS in like what, 10 years? tells me they don't believe in their own product. It's a bad look. From a marketing POV they obviously suck at that
too. They get like one PD to use their handguns (I think its in SC somewhere) but they literally have to just give them the guns because nobody will pay for them. This speaks
volumes.
I think the 509 is the worst trigger I've ever shot on a modern striker fire.

I agree. It's like they took an mp trigger and challenged themselves to make it suck more

(Sorry for the drift op)
The Walther PDP has a really nice trigger

(Sorry for the drift op)
Glocks.
Most SIG.

Up to this post, I was thinking it WAS HK!

(a two letter name is a two letter name, and anything new could be any brand at this point)
How anyone who has frequented a gun forum for more than a week could confuse FN and HK is beyond me.

HK P7. Maybe not as nice as the trigger on the nicest hammer guns, but it’s better than most strikers.
It's a thing of beauty. Can't really compare it to another striker fired gun. It's so unique. I bought one around 20 years ago and still have it. It's 12 lbs to push the safety lever in and I thing 2lbs to hold it. The trigger is around 3lbs and crisp. I haven't fired it in years.

Last edited:
So.........
From the website-

Operation: DOUBLE ACTION, STRIKER FIRED
Thats a tough sell. Odd considering its a striker fired.
I see a slide release and a takedown lever. So how does the striker not lock back after loading a mag and chambering a round?

Trigger Pull: 5.5 - 7.7 lbs
I'm guessing the 7.7 is the first d.a. pull?

Primary Features
18+1 rounds of .45 ACP
Interesting. Hasn't Glock been doing 12-13 rounds of .45 since it came out? And the old Para's held like 14?
Not a groundbreaking feature.

Barrel
Polished feed ramp and chamber for feed reliability
Can I load 255's in it?

Frame
Target-grade trigger breaks clean at approximately 6lbs
Its 5.5 or 6 make up your mind. Neither is target grade. 3lbs is target grade.

SHIPS WITH
Premium zippered case
Well I'm sold on it. The case was the deal breaker.

So.........
From the website-

Operation: DOUBLE ACTION, STRIKER FIRED
Thats a tough sell. Odd considering its a striker fired.
I see a slide release and a takedown lever. So how does the striker not lock back after loading a mag and chambering a round?

Trigger Pull: 5.5 - 7.7 lbs
I'm guessing the 7.7 is the first d.a. pull?

Primary Features
18+1 rounds of .45 ACP
Interesting. Hasn't Glock been doing 12-13 rounds of .45 since it came out? And the old Para's held like 14?
Not a groundbreaking feature.

Barrel
Polished feed ramp and chamber for feed reliability
Can I load 255's in it?

Frame
Target-grade trigger breaks clean at approximately 6lbs
Its 5.5 or 6 make up your mind. Neither is target grade. 3lbs is target grade.

SHIPS WITH
Premium zippered case
Well I'm sold on it. The case was the deal breaker.
Zip, thud.

It's a thing of beauty. Can't really compare it to another striker fired gun. It's so unique. I bought one around 20 years ago and still have it. It's 12 lbs to push the safety lever in and I thing 2lbs to hold it. The trigger is around 3lbs and crisp. I haven't fired it in years.

The best striker fired gun to compare the P7 to would be HK's own VP70.

Here's a company who has managed to make a striker fired handgun with the worst trigger in history, and a striker fired handgun with the best trigger in history all within the same decade. vp70.jpg h-k-p7.jpg

Attachments

• h-k-p7.jpg
    h-k-p7.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
  • vp70.jpg
    vp70.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • h-k-p7.jpg
    h-k-p7.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
FN is often tone deaf. Like I'm sure it might be better now, but 6 months ago the 509? whatever has literally the shittiest trigger ive ever used on a striker fired handgun, only thing worse is a smegma or something like that, although that Beretta APX or whatever it is is pretty close. It's literally crunchy and breaks poorly. And worse yet, you can't easily fix it yourself like with a Glock, M&P, etc. The right thing would have been for them to recall it and fix the guns.

The real curses though.... Poor / nonexistent aftermarket support. (Recoil spring breaks 2 days before a competition? Good luck getting a replacement. ) Poor parts/accessories support. If they really wanted people to buy those things in droves they need to "coat the earth" with stuff and make sure dealers have it. And get magazines that arent retarded in cost or obscure etc. I can go into a gun shop and find personnel who will tell you in depth knowledge of a glock, sig, or even SW M&P trigger system and get you to an outcome
you like. The same cannot be said for FN. Part of the staying power of bigs like Glock or Sig is that their stuff is EVERYWHERE and people to work on their stuff is everywhere. I can make a few phone calls and get glock parts locally if I needed them rapidly. Sig not as good but its at least possible. Want to grab a few extra mags while hitting up gun shops? Glock and Sig- people will have their shit in stock. You can just buy it off the peg. Even CZ stuff is easier to get. (like I know 2 or 3 shops I can nearly be assured I'll find P10 magazines in, not so much with FN. )

Also holsters. I can find a wider variety of holster manufacturers that will make holsters in a half dozen or more styles for a glock or sig product. FN? good luck with that.

Of course some skinflint going to go "but myke you can just buy it onlyne" when you needed it yesterday that doesn't work out so hot.

Also there is another thing, which shouldn't matter but does. How committed are they to a model? You look at the bigs, they dont dump product or very slowly. The fact that FN
dumps something like the FNS in like what, 10 years? tells me they don't believe in their own product. It's a bad look. From a marketing POV they obviously suck at that
too. They get like one PD to use their handguns (I think its in SC somewhere) but they literally have to just give them the guns because nobody will pay for them. This speaks
volumes.
This post is full of wisdom.

The best striker fired gun to compare the P7 to would be HK's own VP70.

Here's a company who has managed to make a striker fired handgun with the worst trigger in history, and a striker fired handgun with the best trigger in history all within the same decade. View attachment 708491View attachment 708492

What, you don't like a 15# trigger that you have to pull for a mile before it fires?

Back
Top Bottom