• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FN Hi Power - It’s Back!

If it doesn't have something special I think it will go the same route, as the new SIG 210.

When you say "leaked" you mean "announced publicly because they want to take back their business". Leaking something implies they were trying to keep it secret and someone blabbed.

Can’t find anything when searching for a public announcement. Just the picture I posted. I’m sure they are announcing soon, just doesn’t seem yet.

The HP is an outstanding pistol. But there are LOTS of them roaming the earth, ranging from genuine commercial FNs at a half-dozen levels of fit, finish, and price, to war-surplus Israeli weapons at bargain prices, to vintage examples by Inglis or FN (with and without Nazi provenance), to knockoffs by FEG that work exactly like the originals.

The used market and the aftermarket define the word “robust.” I’m not sure how much of a market there is for new versions that offer scant real improvement over the old ones.

JMO.

If it has a magazine disconnect safety it will bomb.

Having a dog shit safety lever is a bigger problem because that’s not as easily changeable assembly removing a little bar or whatever it is you have to remove to get rid of the mag safety.

I would buy the gun in the below video simply for the bling factor. I own a 2015 or 2016 production BHP Mark III Standard and it fills the niche for me. Other clones or modern adaptations have zero appeal.

The fundamental problem with the BHP is that its an about ninety year old design. It was great in 1935. It was great in 1945. It was great in 1975. But now? A Glock 17 does everything the BHP does but better.

Recently leaked from the Shot Show setup. FN is once again starting up it Hi Power line after a lengthy hiatus.

I’m guessing they didn’t like how Springfield Armory was making a clone.

EAA has recently begun importing a Turkish made P-35 clone under the Girsan name, and it's priced to sell at around $400.
Functionally it's closer to the original Browning design because it doesn't have the improvements of the Springfield SA-35.
However, a major way it differs from the Brownings, Springfields and FEG's is the frame, theirs is alloy while the others are steel.
I can see how a lighter and less expensive P-35 will appeal to a lot of people.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJPkH34cWl8

This really isn't BHP and thank god.

Big ups to FN for actually redesigning the pistol rather than reproducing a copy. The Hipower died because of virtually no innovation in 80 years.

Major new features:
Take down lever
Ambi slide release (looks like non-ambi mag release tho)
New recoil mechanism and barrel design
Possibly modular backstrap and beavertail
17 round mag

Not sure what the role this new gun fills, but it's a bit odd that this modern version doesnt offer a light rail or optic capability. In addition to the other new features that would certainly differentiate it from the other two commerically available clones and the +1.5 million originals.

This really isn't BHP and thank god.

Big ups to FN for actually redesigning the pistol rather than reproducing a copy. The Hipower died because of virtually no innovation in 80 years.

Major new features:
Take down lever
Ambi slide release (looks like non-ambi mag release tho)
New recoil mechanism and barrel design
Possibly modular backstrap and beavertail
17 round mag

Not sure what the role this new gun fills, but it's a bit odd that this modern version doesnt offer a light rail or optic capability. In addition to the other new features that would certainly differentiate it from the other two commerically available clones and the +1.5 million originals.

Exactly lol, the two things the BHP needs to keep it relevant, well, three, are light and optic mounting capabilities and extended mag. They got 1/3 right.

The trend I notice is that people want the BHP to be a 9x19 1911. I don't like that.

Exactly lol, the two things the BHP needs to keep it relevant, well, three, are light and optic mounting capabilities and extended mag. They got 1/3 right.

The trend I notice is that people want the BHP to be a 9x19 1911. I don't like that.
It's been really funny to see people getting new SA-93's and realizing that not only is a BHP very much not a 1911, but also that they really dont like BHP's. [laugh]
[laugh][laugh]

Recently leaked from the Shot Show setup. FN is once again starting up it Hi Power line after a lengthy hiatus.

I’m guessing they didn’t like how Springfield Armory was making a clone.
Remember that this new version is a HIGH POWER, not a HI POWER.

I guess Browning still owns the trademark "Hi Power"... [thinking]

Being marketed in Japan as Hai Power...
o.87364.jpg

Not that I immediately disagree, but for argument sake: if you put a rail and optic cut on it, then one could argue its in the same class as their 509, and the 509 is the better option (depending on how you feel about striker vs hammer). The 509 is cheaper, lighter, and there is some aftermarket support for it already. Not much, but not zero. Should the classics, even slightly updated classics, stay classic?

Not that I immediately disagree, but for argument sake: if you put a rail and optic cut on it, then one could argue its in the same class as their 509, and the 509 is the better option (depending on how you feel about striker vs hammer). The 509 is cheaper, lighter, and there is some aftermarket support for it already. Not much, but not zero. Should the classics, even slightly updated classics, stay classic?

The question is who FN is trying to target as customers.

Military and police customers built the BHP's reputation. There are some .gov clients out there who I think would prefer a new, modern FN HP over another pistol. If FN kept the HP updated ten, twenty, thirty years ago, then I think more countries would've stuck with it over time.

Purpose-minded consumers are probably going to pass on a modernized HP regardless of what FN/Browning do. The ratio of Glock versus modern BHP sales will still greatly favor the Glock. A steel handgun is a liability these days in comparison to polymer ones when it comes to weight and long term durability - polymer is lighter and doesn't rust.

Nostalgia-based consumers are a split. A lot of people want a HP that's more like a 1911, and that's what Springfield is marketing to. Purists want a HP as a HP, and they'll probably try and buy a surplus or used HP over a new one. At least I would if I wanted one for the Nostalgia.

"Better" is a subjective perspective based on various factors. And there's a vast difference between the perspectives of say the British military, a guy looking for a concealed carry pistol in Florida, and a surplus collector.

Back
Top Bottom