FN FAL

I've always wanted an FAL, but whenever I had the money, I couldn't find one in my budget, or whenever I saw one, it was out of my budget at the time. Well, recently, I was in one of the many awe-sum shops near my home and I came across an FAL at a price I couldn't pass up so I snagged it.

Here's where the confusion sets in. I only have a very limmited knowledge of these beautiful rifles, and now my head is spinning from inch vs metric, inch receivers with metric barrels, dust cuts, open ears and gas settings!!!!

I need to renew my green membership so I can post pictures so bear with me in my descriptions

Its marked L1A1 sporter on an Imbel receiver. My research tells me that Imbel receivers are metric rifles. My receiver has the pronounced rectangular cut for the magazine and it has a clearly inch magazine provided with the rifle. The bolt has the sand/dust cuts to it, the gas plug is clearly inch, every part that can be identified as an inch rifle is so. The selector markings are marked for safe, semi and full auto but the selector lever has an "ear" on the opposing side of the pivot pin that contacts the upper, preventing it from rotating to the auto position, this I have read, is also a feature of inch rifles. The muzzle brake is the original elongated slotted style ala "M14 style" for lack of better terms and is retained with the doughnut and rivet fixture.

From my brief research I think I have an inch patterned rifle or a "commonwealth rifle" she is in excellent condition with no signs of use or wear and tear, bore is shiny and excellent and everything nice and tight.

I'd like to find out what it is so I can add the correct accessories to it and keep it "correct" ie: bayonet, sling, oiler, cleaning kit ect.....

What says the NES braintrust?

Odds are that is one of the Century Frankenstein rifles that they were building a while back. Inch kits on modified Imbel metric receivers. There are no "correct" accessories for it.

Ive read that Imbel did make inch pattern receivers, some built by others and distributed by Century. Or would that be a rarity and wishful thinking on my part? Also, with correct accessories, my main concern isnt the purity of the rifle, but rather what will fit. I see a lot of varying bayonets out there. Id hate to order one and it not fit because mine is an "XX" and the bayo for for a different variety of FAL

Ive read that Imbel did make inch pattern receivers, some built by others and distributed by Century. Or would that be a rarity and wishful thinking on my part?...

While Century built rifles were distributed to and sold by other dealers, I don't believe that the reverse is true. I don't think that Century ever sold rifles built by another builder. Also if it was built by a different 07, their info would have to engraved on the receiver as the MFG of the rifle.

They were the actual importers of kits and receivers and employed their own "builders" (that used to be referred to as the century monkeys)
For them to sell the kits and receivers to builders and then turn around and buy back finished rifles for resale, makes no sense.

You will see their name (CAI) as the importer on lots of Imbel receivers as Century and Pacific armament were the two main importers of the those receivers.

Thanks fellas. New Guy, I read that exact thread and it is largely where my conclusions came from. I figured I'd ask around here before I start digging into specifics. I could head over to the FAL files as they're the largest source of FAL enthusiasts but I hate joining different of forums for one specific interest.

I know these rifles moderately well. Used to own one too.

For all practical purpose, it's an inch rifle.

And, it's one of the better FAL's. It's ironic that Centiry built it, yet it's good. But, it has an Imbel receiver, and they are one of the companies that were licensed by FN to build FAL rifles.

So you know, stay away from Hesse, Coonan or DCI receiver rifles. Many weren't made right, and can't be zeroed.

A place to do some digging on them is the FAL Files forum, if they're still in existence.

Back
Top Bottom