FN FAL Broken Shell Extractor - Is Stuck

MaverickNH

NES Member

I had a torn 308 case stuck in the chamber of my FN FAL so bought one of these extractors. It pulled the torn case out but is itself now stuck in the receiver. The extractor appears to be a two part tool that has an inner plunger and outer expander tube - the total length is now so long the rear is clamped under the bolt extractor and tip still inside the chamber, so it’s too long to eject. I can’t push it back in nor can I open the receiver.

Any ideas on how to get it out? Maybe I need an extractor extractor? 😳

You might want to email or message on Facebook/social media Arizona Response Systems. I'm sure he's seen similar issues before. He - Mark - is generally helpful when asked a technical question.

Is there enough room to tap it out by placing a dowel down the muzzle? I had a 303 case extractor that wouldn't grab the extractor of my bolt so I pushed the case puller in far enough to grab the neck of the broken case and then used a dowel and a mallet to tap it out from the muzzle.

Or, ask Mark @ ARS like @C. Stockwell suggested.

I had a torn 308 case stuck in the chamber of my FN FAL so bought one of these extractors. It pulled the torn case out but is itself now stuck in the receiver. The extractor appears to be a two part tool that has an inner plunger and outer expander tube - the total length is now so long the rear is clamped under the bolt extractor and tip still inside the chamber, so it’s too long to eject. I can’t push it back in nor can I open the receiver.

i had a similar problem with an m1 carbine larocca gun works worcester fixed it.

Qualified Gun smith. Buy once, cry once.let them do it right.

Right idea, wrong tool! I'll try a few tips and tricks and ask ARS, thanks. I'm on the waiting list for the gunsmith already.

That UTG tool is a pos, much like alot of UTG stuff.
The UTG tool is threaded to make it shorter and longer as needed.
Fabricate a long screwdriver and inserter down through the muzzle and try to screw the extractor until its “shorter” if that does not work you should be able to “unscrew” the extractor parts and take it out in 2 halves

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom