FN Browning HP Discontinued. Rumor? Maybe

So is the 1911 and a large percent of many guns are old browning designs still being pumped out.

The difference is like 90% of the 1911s being sold today at least they bothered to modernize them- FAR better sights, better safety levers, front strap checkering, flat MSH, etc. Most of the BHPs you see, outside of the rare custom job, are basically the same pile of mediocrity that existed back when the model was introduced.

-Mike

The difference is like 90% of the 1911s being sold today at least they bothered to modernize them- FAR better sights, better safety levers, front strap checkering, flat MSH, etc. Most of the BHPs you see, outside of the rare custom job, are basically the same pile of mediocrity that existed back when the model was introduced.

-Mike

I read a theory somewhere that that's because the HP caught on in Europe and the 1911 caught on in the US. At a time when US gun companies and entrepreneurs were figuring out how to customize and "improve" the 1911, Europe was busy de-gunning itself.

Ergo, there was no real firearms aftermarket in the time and place where the HP was most often found. That's not the gun's fault, but the result is the same as if it was.

Not surprised. They are great guns.. but they never really caught on aftermarket/customization wise.

If I wanted a heavy low cap all steel 9mm Id buy a 1911 in 9mm. There are millions of 1911 parts, accessories, holsters, sizes etc.

I love me a 1911.. I have two full customs. The HP never appealed to me.

Low cap? The HP is called the HP because it's not low cap.

I read a theory somewhere that that's because the HP caught on in Europe and the 1911 caught on in the US. At a time when US gun companies and entrepreneurs were figuring out how to customize and "improve" the 1911, Europe was busy de-gunning itself.

Ergo, there was no real firearms aftermarket in the time and place where the HP was most often found. That's not the gun's fault, but the result is the same as if it was.

Low cap? The HP is called the HP because it's not low cap.

Its cool that they call it HP because its not low cap..

Guns nearly half the weight hold 15,17,19 rds etc. for its size and weight IT IS low cap.

In 1935, 13 rounds was high capacity!
I have an FN marked High Power in 40 S&W. Now that's a high power![rofl]

The Browning High Power is an old design. It's trigger leaves much to be desired by today's standards. As well as it's weight!

There are much better designs out today than ever before. With less parts, lower weight, higher capacity and greater reliability.

Just like the 1911, time has brought better, more reliable designs to the market.
Compare a Glock 21 to the 1911 and you will see which is a more capable handgun.

Old guns are cool. But you have to give credit to the new guns in terms of weight, capacity and reliability out of the box.

Last edited:
BHPs and 1911s have style. Glocks are classless pieces of pressed cereal boxes. Also, the
BHP was service weapon in over 50 countries. Someone must've thought it ain't that bad. I know mine will follow me to my grave, for sentimental values. It was a gift from a brother (from another mother) and will be my last handgun I own. I don't sweat it when my Glock gets a scratch, but I get my panties in a serious twist if that happened to my Browning.

Guns nearly half the weight hold 15,17,19 rds etc.

Yes. But they're ugly and classless.

14 rounds might not be enough to take the other guy down. But if you can't do it with that many, what makes you think the next four or so will help?

Old guns are cool. But you have to give credit to the new guns in terms of weight, capacity and reliability out of the box.

The reliability of my P-35 has been stellar, and it'll still work even if it's left on a hot stove or if a dog uses it as a chew toy.

c443088d8eafc3cef7d9e4b05baa86a5.jpg

Yes. But they're ugly and classless.

14 rounds might not be enough to take the other guy down. But if you can't do it with that many, what makes you think the next four or so will help?

Listen.. I run a 1911. For competition, CC, and work.. so your preaching to the Choir here. I love the platform and I have 10s of thousands of rounds behind them so it makes sense for me. That however is not the norm.. most people shoot a couple times a year and for them a modern polymer gun makes the most sense. I would never recommend an new or average shooter run a 1911 or HP for CC or work.

If you like the weapon system and its proven then run it. But you can't argue that a 1911 or a or HP is the best choice for most people. If I had minimal experience like say a police academy Id want a G17 or the like. They are lightweight, minimal maintenance, durable, reliable, have huge aftermarkets and pack a lot of firepower.

Fair enough.

Plastic guns have clearly "won," but I don't mind if that means fewer folks competing with me for all the metal ones.

Its cool that they call it HP because its not low cap..

Guns nearly half the weight hold 15,17,19 rds etc. for its size and weight IT IS low cap.

And they are ugly.

If I'm buying a gun to carry......and defend myself and my family of course I'm carrying the m and p or Glock plastic gun for the weight reduction and higher cap.

It's already been said here that there are gun owners that don't buy every gun with the plan to make it their CCW. Some.of us have some class. [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough.

Plastic guns have clearly "won," but I don't mind if that means fewer folks competing with me for all the metal ones.

Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom