FN 5.7 Pistol, Private sale $$$ MASS

mpd61

NES Member
Just wondering,

Is $1800.00 crazy for a NIB (private party sale) here in Mass? They ARE near impossible to get correct? What price does the market here bear?
[thinking]

It depends on how you look at it.

There was one for sale in the classifieds here for $3500 (I don't think it sold for that though).

If you really can't live without it, I guess $1800 isn't too crazy.

Keep in mind that it is nothing more than a glorified .22 Magnum (You can look it up).

EDIT: I'll look it up for you:

CCI .22 WMR Maxi-Mag 30gr JHP
Muzzle Velocity: 2200 fps
Muzzle Energy: 322 ft/lbs
Price - $435.99/2000

FN SS195LF Ammunition 5.7x28mm FN 28.5 Grain Lead-Free JHP
Muzzle Velocity: 2133 fps
Muzzle Energy: 288 ft/lbs
Price - $699.99/2000

It's about as reloadable as .22 WMR as well. While technically reloadable because it is centerfire, the 5.7 cases have no taper; so factory ammo has a coating to ease extraction. When you tumble the cases, you tumble off the coating, causing (you guessed it) extraction problems with reloads.

Last edited:
I have an out of state friend who bought one of these. He said it's a well-made gun, pretty accurate and reliable. But for practical purposes it would not make a good self defense gun, for it's tendency to over-penetrate.

It was designed to be on a soldier's hip in a warzone, where you don't give a flying F what's beyond your target as long as it's not one of your own.

This is just what I've gathered from researching this gun. YMMV.

I have personally witnessed two obsessed individuals pay $2500, and $2250 respectfully. If you fall into the same category then $1800 seems pretty good.

I have both a PS90 and an AR57 upper, they are both great fun to shoot and not purchased for their ballistic abilities, that said I would not purchase a 5.7 pistol at a Massachusetts price.

Don't forget the high cost to feed the it, not to mention its hard to find ammo in Massachusetts.

Ammo is actually easy to find, I pay as little as $18.50 per 50 rounds to as much as $21.00. I don't think it's pricing is that far off from many other calibers out there.

as opposed to $8.00 for 100 .22 mag that is available at every place that sells ammo?

just a thought.

seems a bit pricey given the specs...

for that price you could get one hell of a target shooter in .22

hell for that price you could buy a really nice preban AR and still have money for some preban Mags and possibly a case of ammo if you really shop around...

$1800 is a ripoff of the highest order. The only reason they ask for that kinda money is they know that the "FiveSeven Fanboi Krew" buyers will pay that much for it. [laugh] That being said, it's your money- just be aware that you're getting screwed by about a grand or so, which is pretty severe, but I guess if you gotta have it you gotta have it. Most "hard to get" guns only fetch $1-300 over normal state prices.

I'd have issues with paying anything more than about $2.25 for one, and even at that, I'd only be doing it for resale profit, and I'd probably turn it around and sell it for $500. [laugh]

-Mike

I remember seeing one on here earlier this year - it was listed at $2,000 I think and the ad was gone within 24 hours, suggesting it sold quickly.

I'd love to own one - light, accurate, huge capacity. I'm not sure if you could use hi-cap mags in MA though, as I don't know if they were for sale for that gun prior to our AWB.

There was one for sale in the classifieds here for $3500 (I don't think it sold for that though).

I'm willing to bet that the one going for that price in last week's Want Ad is the same guy. The remainder of my hair nearly fell out when I saw that. I'd be interested in seeing how it hits ballistic gel. Also, I forget which it was but on the way to work tonight I saw a magazine in 7-11 with both the 5.7 and the P-90 on the front with a blurb about reloads. Didn't get to see more than the cover but it gave the impression of being positive.

Lots of good info out here! Thanks to all! I did notice them going for about $950 in New Hampshire. Just trying to figure if it's a good investment here in Massland

I keep toying with the idea of buying one since my PS90 keeps asking me to buy something else that shoots 5.7x28mm. Just haven't brought myself to it yet.

I'm a bit confused why anyone would either want one, or why anyone would pay that much for what is essentially a .22 mag, as previously mentioned. Help me out, maybe I'm missing something........[hmmm]

I have one and they are actually really fun guns to shoot. I didnt buy one at the the mass price but for what I paid it was def worth it.

I'm a bit confused why anyone would either want one, or why anyone would pay that much for what is essentially a .22 mag, as previously mentioned. Help me out, maybe I'm missing something........[hmmm]

Well, we gun nuts usually consider "want" rather than "need". You have probably noticed that when we decide that we "want" a particular gun, nothing else is important. I am as guilty of this as anyone else. Why did I buy that Python so many years ago just because it was available in the Coltguard finish? I just HAD to have it. Hardly ever shoot it, but the urge was satisfied! Jack.

I'd love to own one - light, accurate, huge capacity. I'm not sure if you could use hi-cap mags in MA though, as I don't know if they were for sale for that gun prior to our AWB.
You can't; they are all post ban. There goes your advantage. Why not get an Automag II? .22 Mag is much cheaper and it still looks like a very cool and fun gun.

Ross

You can get one of these in new or like new condition, blue or stainless for $300-$400 and you'll get a 22lr cyl and a .22mag cyl so you can use it whatever way you want.

Btw, after shooting it as a .22lr, pulling the trigger on it as a .22mag is a real different experience !

left2%20800x401.jpg

Hi Dennis, I have one of those. Fun to shoot, cheap to shoot. Oh yeah, don't forget hearing protection when shooting .22 mags. (don't forget them anytime when on the fireing line)
Chuck

I bought one right after the AWB sunsetted (here in NC) just because I wanted a higher capacity handgun and I shot a friend's gun and thought it was pretty cool. I think I only paid 850.00 for it and picked up a 10 shot extention (for a total of 30 rounds) along with some reloading dies. You NEED to get a small base sizing die otherwise you will have feeding problems and the factory primers are crimped/staked in so you will need a primer pocket reamer. You also can't tumble the cases because it will remove the laquer coating and will cause the cases to split and rough extraction. The novelty wore off for me and I sold all of my 5.7 stuff. The AR-57 upper looks pretty cool though.

The unfortunate reality is that, realistically speaking, S&W, Walther, Seecamp and Sig produce a high quality version of just about any pistol you are going to need.

S&W has a good Glock clone (M&P), 1911, .22LR target pistol (Model 41) and enough revolvers to make your head spin. Any by the way, the trigger on the M&P is easily modifiable to be virtually identical to a Glock trigger.

Sig makes great home defense pistols like the P220 and P226.

As far as pocket guns, you still have the S&W J-frames and the Lewis Seecamp.

So from a practical standpoint, there isn't anything you can't get in MA that isn't (1) high quality and (2) fully sufficient for the need/purpose. Besides, most of these options are the ones I would end up going with anyway since they tend to be the best quality/price value.

S&W has a good Glock clone (M&P

So from a practical standpoint, there isn't anything you can't get in MA that isn't (1) high quality and (2) fully sufficient for the need/purpose.

Give up the ghost please... The M&P is ANYTHING but a glock clone!

From a practical standpoint you're right on this point!

So from a practical standpoint, there isn't anything you can't get in MA that isn't (1) high quality and (2) fully sufficient for the need/purpose. Besides, most of these options are the ones I would end up going with anyway since they tend to be the best quality/price value.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. While those companies certainly make good guns, and they fit some peoples needs, they don't in a lot of other cases. Not having choice frankly sucks. I refuse to rationalize the "compliance" BS in this state. It's unhealthy.

-Mike

The unfortunate reality is that, realistically speaking, S&W, Walther, Seecamp and Sig produce a high quality version of just about any pistol you are going to need.

S&W has a good Glock clone (M&P), 1911, .22LR target pistol (Model 41) and enough revolvers to make your head spin. Any by the way, the trigger on the M&P is easily modifiable to be virtually identical to a Glock trigger.

Sig makes great home defense pistols like the P220 and P226.

As far as pocket guns, you still have the S&W J-frames and the Lewis Seecamp.

I get your point but there is one big hole and that is concealable guns. Nothing sold in this state is really great for concealment except a j-frame.

Besides, what you're saying doesn't excuse the idiocy that is our AG.

Back
Top Bottom