FMJ Steel Case vs brass

Yes, tens of thousands of rounds....no issues and it's plenty accurate enough for range ammo.

I've been buying and using Wolf steel cased .223 and several other calibers since it first hit our shores. I've reloaded the boxer primed "Poly Performance" and use it for winter ammo when there is snow on the ground and good brass would be lost.
Soooo many people poo pooed Wolf ammo relentlessly......yet every single round imported sells. If people had one ounce of integrity and honesty, they'd admit that Wolf steel cased ammo works. These same people will beg for steel cased ammo soon.....and probably won't be able to get any.
My wallet and I thank you!

Hey, thanks for the info! We need some ammo for practice and want to get the best value for the dollar. How were your groupings with Wolf?
I'd say expect 3-4 MOA groups; I shoot without optics. Not match ammo by any account, but at the prices and if it's available, I have no qualms using it as training/practice ammo.

I had some trouble with older Wolf steel case .223 sticking in my AR15 Bushmaster rifle, would get stuck and have to be poked out
with a rod. That was about ten years ago or more. But then I started using the "polyformance" wolf stuff and did not have that problem.

The HK forums say steel is fine to shoot. It only wears out your extractor sooner than brass. It's the aluminum stuff you are supposed to stay away from.

The wolf in black boxes is tula i think just imported under a different name the stuff in the camo boxes is good though.

That was told to me at a gun shop though so... take that for whatever it's worth
Wolf Gold is made in Taiwan, Wolf steel, my understanding, has been sourced from various manufacturers over time. I believe Vympel of Golden Tiger fame might have been the source at one point. Tula probably has made it at one point or another.

Wolf's an importer, so they likely go with the best deals.

I had some trouble with older Wolf steel case .223 sticking in my AR15 Bushmaster rifle, would get stuck and have to be poked out
with a rod. That was about ten years ago or more. But then I started using the "polyformance" wolf stuff and did not have that problem.

The new wolf is meh but that old lacquer coated stuff in an AR? yeah good luck with that... .fully involved dumpster fire. [laugh]

you will need to clean up gun more often and clean the ejector as it will be shit all over. at some point - in my gun it was at 700 something tula - it may stop working properly.
now i clean glocks every 500 dirty rounds and have no issues.

The new wolf is meh but that old lacquer coated stuff in an AR? yeah good luck with that... .fully involved dumpster fire. [laugh]
tavor eats any steel crap just fine and spits it out just fine. +1 for tavor, then.
:)

Wolf Gold is made in Taiwan, Wolf steel, my understanding, has been sourced from various manufacturers over time. I believe Vympel of Golden Tiger fame might have been the source at one point. Tula probably has made at one point or another.

Wolf's an importer, so they likely go with the best deals.
Yeah the stuff in the camp boxes is lacquered like golden tiger does

The black box stuff is just plain old steel case crap

Gold is good stuff too.. wolf makes good ammo I run a lot of it

The HK forums say steel is fine to shoot. It only wears out your extractor sooner than brass. It's the aluminum stuff you are supposed to stay away from.

That's BS too, I've shot like probably at least a good 15-20,000 rounds or more of CCI Blazer AL through various guns, no problems. Used to use a ton of it in .45 ACP and ran it through 1911s, Glocks, HK USP, HK MK23, you name it... no problems. Chronoed about 830 fps out of a 5" gun but it did the trick.

tavor eats any steel crap just fine and spits it out just fine. +1 for tavor, then.
:)

You can run most steel crap through most guns just fine.

The shit me and hminsky were referring to was the old lacquer coated 223, that wolf and others don't even sell anymore. Those cases would get stuck in guns, etc... dumpster fire.

Possibly heavier wear on internals but if you're shooting a commodity gun then the cost of replacing something like an extractor is usually less than the money you will save over time.

But generally the two big downsides are that it runs dirty and has poor accuracy, but those are generally due to components used in "budget ammo" and not because of the case material.
If your shooting enough ammo to wear out your barrels you can afford a new barrel, as long as the steel to brass price margin stays you can almost buy a new gun with those savings
Heck even Hornady tried pushing steel cased match ammo.

the hardness of brass and the steel used is not that much.

If your shooting enough ammo to wear out your barrels you can afford a new barrel, as long as the steel to brass price margin stays you can almost buy a new gun with those savings
Heck even Hornady tried pushing steel cased match ammo.

the hardness of brass and the steel used is not that much.
The difference is hornadys training ammo was actually good and not underpowered shit like most steel case .223 is.....

I used to be a snob. Brass only. Why? Cuz I could afford it.
I was wrong. Don’t be like me. Now I can’t afford anything! Buy whatever the hell you can get your hands on at this point! Now I’m struggling to find steel cased for the one platform I own that’s perfect for it.
You shoot steel with gunsticles? Noice!

I don't shoot it. Not saying I wouldn't if I had to, but the accuracy difference bothers me. If you don't care about accuracy, why bother putting up a target? At that point you are just going to the range to make loud noises.

I don't shoot it. Not saying I wouldn't if I had to, but the accuracy difference bothers me. If you don't care about accuracy, why bother putting up a target? At that point you are just going to the range to make loud noises.

Inside 15 yards, if I can land shots via ‘minute of man’ whilst doing mag changes, draw and fire, and failure drills, that’s fine by me. I’m not looking for tight groups, just recoil control and chest/neck/head shot placement.
Looking to sight in a gun or confirm my shooting ability? Yeah, I’ll go with decent factory ammo and more so, carry ammo since that’s what I’d be actually shooting.

what’s wrong with aluminum? I’d rather shoot alum over steel.

what’s wrong with aluminum? I’d rather shoot alum over steel.
The metal is softer than brass and may have ejection issues. This is what I read on the HK forum. I know the HK owners manual says no steel case, aluminum, or reloads, etc. I was also told steel on steel wears out. Brass on steel will not wear out the steel. I'm sure people have shot steel and aluminum without issue but Hk's are expensive and I prefer to stickwith brass.

The difference is hornadys training ammo was actually good and not underpowered shit like most steel case .223 is.....
I thought we wear talking wear ? Just for fun I reloaded some wolf steel cased ammo with 77 gn nosler CCs. Shot as well as anything else through my match rifle
Regular wolf steel fodder, not so much

The metal is softer than brass and may have ejection issues. This is what I read on the HK forum. I know the HK owners manual says no steel case, aluminum, or reloads, etc. I was also told steel on steel wears out. Brass on steel will not wear out the steel. I'm sure people have shot steel and aluminum without issue but Hk's are expensive and I prefer to stickwith brass.
But a bronze cleaning jag or brush somehow ruins rifle bores.
Rubber will wear out steel. Its more on the lines of the hardness of the materials.

You can run most steel crap through most guns just fine.

The shit me and hminsky were referring to was the old lacquer coated 223, that wolf and others don't even sell anymore. Those cases would get stuck in guns, etc... dumpster fire.
I agree. I used to put oil on the cases!

Lol the ammo is still more accurate than you are if you make a gross shooting error, obviously depending on circumstances. Yeah it's going to be worthless if you're shooting from a rest all
day or something, but in terms of value for practice? it's still good. Let's put it this way the group size difference for the cheap garbage isnt so big that its not going to make good vs bad shooting indescernible.

Let me put it this way- I've shot USPSA matches with tula 9mm, and most of the lost points from that day were not from shitty ammo but from the guy running the gun.... [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom