FMJ Steel Case vs brass

Thats a lot of training ammo tho... we all remember the perfecta crap Walmart used to sell

Barely. I bought a few boxes of the 9mm and I think I either gave or sold some of the rest of the shit on the cheap and never touched it again. God that stuff was weak.

Lol the ammo is still more accurate than you are if you make a gross shooting error, obviously depending on circumstances. Yeah it's going to be worthless if you're shooting from a rest all
day or something, but in terms of value for practice? it's still good. Let's put it this way the group size difference for the cheap garbage isnt so big that its not going to make good vs bad shooting indescernible.

Let me put it this way- I've shot USPSA matches with tula 9mm, and most of the lost points from that day were not from shitty ammo but from the guy running the gun.... [laugh]

Like I said, I would shoot it if I had to. Luckily, that day is a loooong way off because I took your advice years ago and slowed firearms purchases in favor of ammo.
We are going to have to disagree about this, much the same as we disagree about cleaning. I admit I am a little OCD. I shoot, I clean em and store em. It's a ritual.

I look at steel case ammo, like a cheap shoes. Yeah, its better than walking barefoot over the rocks, but not ideal. Sure, if I had no other choice I would buy steel case, but to date, I have never purchased a box of steel case ammo.

With copper prices climbing we just might see another increase in ammo prices and companies like hornady reintroducing steel cased ammo again. IIRC horndy was getting thier steel from tula?

Like I said, I would shoot it if I had to. Luckily, that day is a loooong way off because I took your advice years ago and slowed firearms purchases in favor of ammo.
We are going to have to disagree about this, much the same as we disagree about cleaning. I admit I am a little OCD. I shoot, I clean em and store em. It's a ritual.

I look at steel case ammo, like a cheap shoes. Yeah, its better than walking barefoot over the rocks, but not ideal. Sure, if I had no other choice I would buy steel case, but to date, I have never purchased a box of steel case ammo.
For some platforms that’s all there is but that’s good otherwise, it means you’re stocking well....

Yes, tens of thousands of rounds....no issues and it's plenty accurate enough for range ammo.

I've been buying and using Wolf steel cased .223 and several other calibers since it first hit our shores. I've reloaded the boxer primed "Poly Performance" ammo in .45acp and .223 and use it for winter ammo when there is snow on the ground and good brass would be lost.
Soooo many people poo pooed Wolf ammo relentlessly......yet every single round imported sells. If people had one ounce of integrity and honesty, they'd admit that Wolf steel cased ammo works. These same people will beg for steel cased ammo soon.....and probably won't be able to get any.
Yup , also wolf is an American Co. Also has a 100% satisfaction guaranty. They will even pay shipping.
Steel cased ammo ends up on the range and rusts and looks awful. If clubs/ranges like to sort and sell spent brass its easier to do so with out steel and aluminum mixed in.

Clubs often ban anything that attracts a magnet because they cant tell if its actually steel core , bi metal jacket or the case .
Bi metal jacketed bullets are soft as shit and IMHO no more of a ricochet danger as copper jackets.

This isn't directly related to the OP, but FWIW, Lapua (VPT) and m67 Yugo 7.62x39mm are brass cased, but still berdan-primed. There are several brass cased 7.62x54R rounds on the market, such as Prvi (usually "nny", I think) and Albanian surplus; both berdan primed. The Albanian cases use the standard .217" diameter berdan primer, so it can be reloaded easily, if you have the LRB or KV-7,62N primers. Most 7.62x54R cases use the extra large 6,49mm primer which I've never seen available as a component in the US.

Back
Top Bottom