FMJ or HP for coyotes?

Make sure you tell the responding cop the coyote was going after YOU and YOU were in fear of your life or great bodily harm. You can’t shoot to protect your dog in MA Get pepper spray, it will be more effective and won’t get you a conversation with a cop or ADA.

+1, I've shot a lot of yotes, they can take some damage if you dont hit them right.
Yes, vitals are small
My dad would take shots at coyote , if one showed itself while hunting . Front shot goes just above the space between the legs/between the shoulders.
My dad would tell me to aim for the nose if they have their head down.
Then tight behind the shoulder on a broad side shot.

We would get a few when “hunting” rats at the dump. 22lr from 50 yards to the spot between the eye and the ear would almost drop them instantly.

I've often wondered if coyotes are members of the canine family, would a little distraction be possible... View attachment 704358

73e8db74-513d-44f4-b636-92bac69ef2b6_1.028d014aec66f6cd7cef7af69dcebafe.png
View attachment 704361
I know my neighbor, the farmer, finds stuffed dog toys from time to time, in his field. Definitely from coyotes.

Maybe bullet technology had advanced in the last few decades to the point that hollow points will expand at 380 velocity but I don't know. It's an interesting question and worth another look.

What doesn't make sense is. The .380 recoil impulse is so similar to 9mm. Because of the direct blowback design. The advantages of using a 9mm seem like the easy choice. The hot .380 loads I have fired can sting your hand. Meanwhile, 9mm defensive ammo never had.

Maybe bullet technology had advanced in the last few decades to the point that hollow points will expand at 380 velocity but I don't know. It's an interesting question and worth another look.
Check out some if the lead cast bullet threads. IDK if anyone is doing 380 but I know they seem to get impressive results at lower velocities

What doesn't make sense is. The .380 recoil impulse is so similar to 9mm. Because of the direct blowback design. The advantages of using a 9mm seem like the easy choice.
It seems to come down to size. People are choosing the .380 not because it is more powerful, not because it is cheaper, not because it recoils less. They are choosing it because it is smaller!

Last edited:
What doesn't make sense is. The .380 recoil impulse is so similar to 9mm. Because of the direct blowback design. The advantages of using a 9mm seem like the easy choice. The hot .380 loads I have fired can sting your hand. Meanwhile, 9mm defensive ammo never had.
That harmonic sting, my wife hated shooting any of the 9mm pistols because of that . The 1911 even as big as it is in her very small hands she will shoot better , her complaint is the the grips dig into her hands

Take a look at the tests here. Hornaday Critical Defense in .380 expanded to about half an inch with adequate penetration. Federal claimed .588" expansion for 99 grain HST while pitching 30 Super Carry with less expansion but more penetration.

Generally, coyotes don't find ammunition to be a deterrent. I pointed a gun at a coyote once and he came up a licked it. Was not deterred at all.

If you are asking about actually shooting a coyote. Neither are good for the Coyote. HP is much better for you.

FMJ should be shot at paper or steel only.
Not true... certain critters hp's aren't very effective against the hp will under penertrate the hide... if I'm looking to pop a critter with an underpowered round its bbore hardcast.

It's the recoil. A handgun is definitely my choice pf carry. I've been shooting for over 25 years. Before I hurt my wrist and hand I shot .45 and 9mm. I think I could handle a 9 or a 45 in an emergency situation, but I like to practice, and I couldn't do a couple boxes of either of those. If a coyote ever comes at us, It'd try to wait til it was about 6' to be sure and get a good neck or head shot. That's my plan, but of course, reality could prove different.

No beer spray for me, I don't drink.
Can i ask is a g21 too much for you? Ive had real snappy 380s and those shoot like kittens honestly

Ummm, wait. Isn't this from the person who wants a .22 mag in something light enough to carry in gym shorts? [smile] You could carry a full-sized steel 1911 in 9mm and have mild recoil, but most wouldn't lug something like that around, and least of all in gym shorts only held up with a string. [smile]
My gstring supports my pmr30 no issues when I'm stripping :)

It's the recoil. A handgun is definitely my choice pf carry. I've been shooting for over 25 years. Before I hurt my wrist and hand I shot .45 and 9mm. I think I could handle a 9 or a 45 in an emergency situation, but I like to practice, and I couldn't do a couple boxes of either of those. If a coyote ever comes at us, It'd try to wait til it was about 6' to be sure and get a good neck or head shot. That's my plan, but of course, reality could prove different.

No beer spray for me, I don't drink.
Man, I don't know what to tell you, but that last 6 ft is going to go quickly if you aren't already on the trigger.

We had a simulator with a dog attack drill. Granted it was a B. Malinois, but the 21 foot rule needs a multiplier with a dog.

Unless it is rabid, most wild yotes if they see you they will not come to you. Most are 40-60 lbs, you are much bigger, they want to eat, but they want to live another day, so they don't want to take a chance to hurt themselve. So if you see one from a comfortable distance, just throw some rocks at it. If you miss, it will probably run away, if you hit it, even better, reinforces them to stay away from humans.

OTH, if it sneaks up on you to try to attack you/your dog, as others have said, a stick might be much more effective.

A rabid one is a whole different story.

I concur with Len. Most “tests” of .380 rounds with various bullet types tend to the conclusion that hollow points do not usually expand at all. Based on this “data,” one should conclude: “either, it doesn’t make any difference.”

Bear in mind as well that the immediate disabling effect of a single pistol round is unpredictable, as there are just too many factors involved. It is, in my opinion, better to think of it in terms of probabilities. A bigger caliber – 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP – simply moves the Bell curve in the good direction.

And remember also that the four-legged coyote does not have the same reaction to be shot as a two-legged one is likely to have: “I’ve been shot – I’m bleeding – I’d better break off and get medical help or I may die.”

Unless it is rabid, most wild yotes if they see you they will not come to you. Most are 40-60 lbs, you are much bigger, they want to eat, but they want to live another day, so they don't want to take a chance to hurt themselve. So if you see one from a comfortable distance, just throw some rocks at it. If you miss, it will probably run away, if you hit it, even better, reinforces them to stay away from humans.

OTH, if it sneaks up on you to try to attack you/your dog, as others have said, a stick might be much more effective.

A rabid one is a whole different story.
A stick might work against 1 coyote. If it is 4 or 5, a stick won't do a heck of a lot. If it is a stick you pick up off the ground, chances are it is old and decayed, so could stand a good chance of breaking. I'd take 10 .22's or 7-8 .380's over a stick any day. Maybe grab a stick in one hand and pistol in the other.

Back
Top Bottom