FMJ or HP for coyotes?

I've got wrist and hand issues which limit the calibers I can comfortably shoot. So I carry .380 in case I run into coyotes while walking my dog. Would Hornady HP or FMJ be a better deterrent?
thanks!

(actually, I'm carrying .38spl now, but plan to switch to a 380's that will fit 10 rounds)

Last edited:
Generally, coyotes don't find ammunition to be a deterrent. I pointed a gun at a coyote once and he came up a licked it. Was not deterred at all.

If you are asking about actually shooting a coyote. Neither are good for the Coyote. HP is much better for you.

FMJ should be shot at paper or steel only.

Either will do for coyote.
They are not all that physically rugged .
I've shot or seen shot a fair number of them and they tend to go down far easier than say a deer.
A lot of them have gone down and stayed down from .22's

I'd go with JHP. Even if both will put down a coyote, do you really want it to suffer more than need be? Use the JHP to put him/her out sooner.

10rd .380? Going to trade the .22 LCP II for the .380 Max? Just test your ammo first. Hornady Critical Defense fed fine. Tried a little Sig V-Crown, and one of the rounds didn't seat all the way. Might just need more breaking in, but CD has been fine even from round one.

Hollow Point... But FMJ will work too.

federal-ammunition-hydra-shok-deep-380-1800.jpg
federal-ammunition-hydra-shok-deep-expanded-1800.jpg

Or, 50-round box of Gold Dots

be2aecbf985bfc345ee9a43852916a34_4.jpg
064a82616c6b97acc2ed85d129452537_1_2_3.jpg

Last edited:
Hollow points are always better regardless of caliber as it will cause the biggest internal wound, even if the coyote doesn't go down there, it will soon enough.
+1, I've shot a lot of yotes, they can take some damage if you dont hit them right.

I've got wrist and hand issues which limit the calibers I can comfortably shoot. So I carry .380 in case I run into coyotes while walking my dog. Would Hornady HP or FMJ be a better deterrent?
thanks!

(actually, I'm carrying .38spl now, but plan to switch to a 380's that will fit 10 rounds)

Well, if you intend to keep the pelt, which is not usually the intent when dog walking, a hollow point might hit a shoulder and blow up, causing a lot of superficial damage where a FMJ would penetrate more. I'm not really sure though, since this is a .380, it is likely to be pretty close up, and in that case, should be a pretty solid hit.

Really wondering about pistol caliber carbines for coyote though, since something like a 9mm has much more power than a .22LR. Rifle cartridge like the .223 or .204 Ruger are probably the most popular, and 22-250 if you want something a bit bigger.

Back to your wrist and hand issues. Can you carry a full size 9mm, or is that too heavy? The recoil on a decent big gun might be the same or better than a small light .380 is what some people say. That is, if you have no issues carrying a full size around. So many factors.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide on.

+1, I've shot a lot of yotes, they can take some damage if you dont hit them right.
Hollow points. Yotes are rugged animals. Even with an AR FMJ is basically useless.
My neighbor put a slug through one, and I had to help him track it about 3/4 of a mile through streams and swamps, dragging its guts all over the place. Was pretty horrible. I've heard other similar stories about how tough coyotes can be. They have an intense survival will.

Back to your wrist and hand issues. Can you carry a full size 9mm, or is that too heavy? The recoil on a decent big gun might be the same or better than a small light .380 is what some people say. That is, if you have no issues carrying a full size around. So many factors.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide on.
Ummm, wait. Isn't this from the person who wants a .22 mag in something light enough to carry in gym shorts? [smile] You could carry a full-sized steel 1911 in 9mm and have mild recoil, but most wouldn't lug something like that around, and least of all in gym shorts only held up with a string. [smile]

Coyotes haven't signed the Hague convention, so by all means carry hollow points (or Hornady flex-tips) that you've tested in your .380. If it's good enough for Rick Perry . . .

That said, unlike in Texas, in Massachusetts you can only legally shoot a coyote that is threatening your pet if you are on your own property.

Ummm, wait. Isn't this from the person who wants a .22 mag in something light enough to carry in gym shorts? [smile] You could carry a full-sized steel 1911 in 9mm and have mild recoil, but most wouldn't lug something like that around, and least of all in gym shorts only held up with a string. [smile]

Um, hello? It's Winter now. And it's an elastic, not a string! [laugh]

Mjk3OTc.gif

Last edited:
thanks!

Is it the physical use of the pistol that is trouble some or the recoil ?
I will say this. If your having physical difficulties handling a handgun you might be better off walking with a long walking stick.

Coyotes and animals in general IF they are out to get you your unlikely to see them coming.

Might be better off with beer spray.

No ad far as what bullet. ?

Maybe there are cast bullets like these for 38 or 380

Last edited:
My neighbor put a slug through one, and I had to help him track it about 3/4 of a mile through streams and swamps, dragging its guts all over the place. Was pretty horrible. I've heard other similar stories about how tough coyotes can be. They have an intense survival will.
I spent my youth watching one get blown up, run over by a truck, even surviving falling off a cliff. Absolutely indomitable.😜

Is it the physical use of the pistol that is trouble some or the recoil ?
I will say this. If your having physical difficulties handling a handgun you might be better off walking with a long walking stick.

Coyotes and animals in general IF they are out to get you your unlikely to see them coming.

Might be better off with beer spray.

No ad far as what bullet. ?

Maybe there are cast bullets like these for 38 or 380

It's the recoil. A handgun is definitely my choice pf carry. I've been shooting for over 25 years. Before I hurt my wrist and hand I shot .45 and 9mm. I think I could handle a 9 or a 45 in an emergency situation, but I like to practice, and I couldn't do a couple boxes of either of those. If a coyote ever comes at us, It'd try to wait til it was about 6' to be sure and get a good neck or head shot. That's my plan, but of course, reality could prove different.

No beer spray for me, I don't drink.

Do hollow points expand when fired from a pocket .380?
Not in my experience. I used to hand-load hot rounds with Sierra JHPs and none deformed going thru 3-5 1-gallon milk jugs filled with water. I then reloaded some of them for a second try! I was shooting a PPK/s (German mfr) and this was back in the 1980s. It's a good part of the reason I abandoned the idea of carrying a .380 once the 9mm handguns came down in size.

Back
Top Bottom