Flying with Firearms - Rerouted to NYC

I think that's a little off the mark I knew a few people that owned their own planes and it was basically like owning another house... with what they had invested in their plane, storage, the ongoing maintenance and all that stuff....

I have one friend who has ATP license (he can literally fly anything fixed wing, barring type certification of course) and probably could easily afford his own aircraft but still won't do it. When he wants to fly for fun he just rents something. That's pretty telling..... this ain't like owning a boat or a sports car, it's a whole other planet.
Just means your friend doesn't fly for fun much. The cheaper to rent vs cheaper to own math depends on the type airplane and how many hours a year. If nothing else, consider that flight schools need to show a small profit and their maintenance costs are higher than owner flown.

I know I have posted this before but traveling through Logan with firearms is cool. My son shot for the local rifle team here and we literally would go to check in with 8 - 10 rifle cases. Only once did a gate agent kind of make a puddle on the floor when we opened the case. She went and got her supervisor who walked her through the procedure and wished my son good luck. Only once did my sons rifle case get picked for extra screening and the screening showed gun powder residue. I was very proud when my son looked at the TSA agent and said “Duh it’s a rifle”. Let him through no problem.

Last edited:
Wow. What a smokin' deal.

Nashua (ASH) to Friendly, MD (VKX) (Near DC) is only $4520 round trip, if you go both ways on the same day. Stay a day or so, and the fare jumps to the low, low, price of only $7900.

I'm pretty sure for that amount of money, I can fly First Class, and even spring for a Flight Attendant to fly face down in my lap for the entire flight.

Not to mention Wx delays; re-routing to alternate because minimums at destination are too low for pilot/aircraft capability. Of course, it might be worth it if you get to "go down in flames with the flight attendant (sic) face down in your lap."

Just means your friend doesn't fly for fun much. The cheaper to rent vs cheaper to own math depends on the type airplane and how many hours a year. If nothing else, consider that flight schools need to show a small profit and their maintenance costs are higher than owner flown.

My point was you gotta want it badly enough to set the cash on fire. ;) There's nothing practical or inexpensive about it, you have to want it, badly.

-Mike

I think that's a little off the mark I knew a few people that owned their own planes and it was basically like owning another house... with what they had invested in their plane, storage, the ongoing maintenance and all that stuff....

I have one friend who has ATP license (he can literally fly anything fixed wing, barring type certification of course) and probably could easily afford his own aircraft but still won't do it. When he wants to fly for fun he just rents something. That's pretty telling..... this ain't like owning a boat or a sports car, it's a whole other planet.

My numbers were lifted from the article I linked and are in line with NHKevin's personal estimate of $130/hour.

100 hours a year doesn't sound like much until you notice that means flying at least a couple hours every week. If he flies for fun just "once in a while" it would be very expensive to own his own pleasure plane.

RV4-01.jpg

I'm a pilot. I used to own my own plane. Believe me, you don't want to own a plane, or even join a plane share if your only desire is for transportation.

Flying requires a lot of commitment. It needs to be something you crave. Something in your belly. To be safe requires time and money. A pilot who flies once a month is generally not nearly as safe a pilot as he would be if he flew once per week. Flying is a very perishable skill. You need to do it to stay proficient.

Before I had kids I used to fly 2-3x per week. When people asked me if I was a good pilot, I'd tell them that my decision making could use some improvement but that I was a "good stick" simply because I went up and practiced at least once per week.
That means not just taking off and flying somewhere. It means doing stalls, turns around a point, power off landings, etc. These are drills that force you to operate at the edges of an airplane's flight envelope. They build skill.

Imagine if you shot 2-3 times per week and about once per month you went up to Sig and did a day class with them. Same thing.

Back to the original subject.

This is a typical example of Mass people making up a problem where one doesn't exist. Fly with your guns. If you happen to land in NY for some reason, do not retrieve your guns, explain it to the airline and they will see that they are taken care of. End of story. close the thread.

Last edited:
I'm a pilot. I used to own my own plane. Believe me, you don't want to own a plane, or even join a plane share if your only desire is for transportation.

Flying requires a lot of commitment. It needs to be something you crave. Something in your belly. To be safe requires time and money. A pilot who flies once a month is generally not nearly as safe a pilot as he would be if he flew once per week. Flying is a very perishable skill. You need to do it to stay proficient.

Before I had kids I used to fly 2-3x per week. When people asked me if I was a good pilot, I'd tell them that my decision making could use some improvement but that I was a "good stick" simply because I went up and practiced at least once per week.
That means not just taking off and flying somewhere. It means doing stalls, turns around a point, power off landings, etc. These are drills that force you to operate at the edges of an airplane's flight envelope. They build skill.

Imagine if you shot 2-3 times per week and about once per month you went up to Sig and did a day class with them. Same thing.

Back to the original subject.

This is a typical example of Mass people making up a problem where one doesn't exist. Fly with your guns. If you happen to land in NY for some reason, do not retrieve your guns, explain it to the airline and they will see that they are taken care of. End of story. close the thread.

I don't believe you. I use my plane almost exclusively for transportation - I pretty much never just go bore holes in the sky. To each his own.

View attachment 262839

Actually, a NH resident. Y’all from MA get me scared about crossing our borders.

Megan is my parrot. How did you know that? Anyway, I don't have her wings clipped and she has the run of the house when I'm home. She does good two point landings. Jack.
(I think you named her in the Avian Pedicurist Wanted thread).

When she wants to get to the floor,
does she ever lean over the edge of the table and leap like a bridge jumper,
and then poof her wings out at the very last second?
The Bride's cockatiel used to do that routine - quite an act...

I don't believe you. I use my plane almost exclusively for transportation - I pretty much never just go bore holes in the sky. To each his own.

I used it for transportation. But didn't own it primarily as a transportation tool. It was a toy. When I planned to use it for transportation, I needed to be very flexible on schedule. We went to NH, VT, the cape, teh islands, OH, MS. Shoot, I even flew my little RV4 into Dulles once to go to the Udvar Hazy museum. But it was done with a mindset that we would reschedule if things didn't look good.

Did you have an instrument rating?? I do not. That makes a huge difference. But in that case all the dollar estimates people are using need to increase.
I'm not going to fly in the clouds in a rented 172 with 35 year old steam gauges.
To put it in perspective. A crappy 172 with steam gauges may rent for 125/hr wet. A decent 172 with a Garmin panel is 180/hr wet.

Actually, a NH resident. Y’all from MA get me scared about crossing our borders.

Well, its nothing to worry about. A couple of years ago I offered $100 to anyone who could come up with a single instance of someone being arrested and prosecuted in MA while traveling in compliance with the safe passage portion of FOPA.

I still have that $100. Its safe. Period.

I used it for transportation. But didn't own it primarily as a transportation tool. It was a toy. When I planned to use it for transportation, I needed to be very flexible on schedule. We went to NH, VT, the cape, teh islands, OH, MS. Shoot, I even flew my little RV4 into Dulles once to go to the Udvar Hazy museum. But it was done with a mindset that we would reschedule if things didn't look good.

Did you have an instrument rating?? I do not. That makes a huge difference. But in that case all the dollar estimates people are using need to increase.
I'm not going to fly in the clouds in a rented 172 with 35 year old steam gauges.
To put it in perspective. A crappy 172 with steam gauges may rent for 125/hr wet. A decent 172 with a Garmin panel is 180/hr wet.
Gotcha. I've got my commercial single/multi/instrument. It is extremely rare for me to cancel a flight for weather. Ice is the only thing that is a problem for me in my current plane.

About 1 in 500 flights is rerouted in total. Of those a majority are a temporary stop for something like a medical emergency, and the flight then resumes.

This type of event is actually rather rare.

About 1 in 500 flights is rerouted in total. Of those a majority are a temporary stop for something like a medical emergency, and the flight then resumes.

Exceedingly rare. Which is why MA folks like to worry and debate it like its the norm.

Gotcha. I've got my commercial single/multi/instrument. It is extremely rare for me to cancel a flight for weather. Ice is the only thing that is a problem for me in my current plane.

Oh shoot. We're not even in the same league then. Thunderstorms, TFRs and Ice are all that can stop you. Ha.

When I got my RV, I did some IFR training. The problem is that the RV is not a good instrument platform, even though I have an EFIS and could have made it IFR legal by replacing the VFR GPS with an instrument rated one. Its neutrally stable in roll and yaw and marginally positively stable in pitch.

Agility and stability are opposite ends of the same set of traits. My plane is agile. What makes it fun also makes it a piss poor instrument platform.

This is when I decided to become the best VFR pilot I could be and began flying formation with 2 ex-Air Force instructor pilots. It was great fun. I was working on getting my flying up to the practical test standards for a Commercial ticket (they do issue VFR Commercial tickets) when my wife got pregnant and I gave up flying for the most part.

formation 01.jpg

Last edited:
Fact: NY ignores FOPA. NY also considers a firearm to be loaded even if it is completely disassembled, with each piece locked in a separate container, magazines disassembled, locked in separate containers and ammunition locked in separate containers if all those containers are locked inside the same suitcase. Same applies to the trunk of a car. The outer most container is still considered in the "same container" and thus "loaded." More than a few travelers have been arrested at a NY airport for having a loaded gun that way.

I did not read this whole thing, but I have been in this exact circumstance. I travel often for work, and sometimes bring a carry weapon along if I'm going somewhere with reciprocity. On one trip home, I got delayed overnight at LaGuardia. The airline (Delta in my case) knew from my initial declaration that there was a firearm in my luggage, and they actually told me before I had to ask that my bag would go into secure storage for the night and would be checked in for my morning flight without my involvement.

1 in 500 odds does count as rare, but OTOH one has to consider the consequences of coming out on the wrong end of those odds. Considering all the stories I've heard of people who did what they thought was the right thing regarding traveling through NY with a firearm and came out of it with an undeserved criminal record and a destroyed life, I can see why the original poster wants to figure out what to do well in advance. Just In Case.

Oh shoot. We're not even in the same league then. Thunderstorms, TFRs and Ice are all that can stop you. Ha.

When I got my RV, I did some IFR training. The problem is that the RV is not a good instrument platform, even though I have an EFIS and could have made it IFR legal by replacing the VFR GPS with an instrument rated one. Its neutrally stable in roll and yaw and marginally positively stable in pitch.

Agility and stability are opposite ends of the same set of traits. My plane is agile. What makes it fun also makes it a piss poor instrument platform.

This is when I decided to become the best VFR pilot I could be and began flying formation with 2 ex-Air Force instructor pilots. It was great fun. I was working on getting my flying up to the practical test standards for a Commercial ticket (they do issue VFR Commercial tickets) when my wife got pregnant and I gave up flying for the most part.

All types of flying for different folks. I loved flying acro - been years - if I hit powerball I'd have an Extra 300. I can't swing multiple airplanes financially, so an airplane that is suited to going places is the best thing for me.

(I think you named her in the Avian Pedicurist Wanted thread).

When she wants to get to the floor,
does she ever lean over the edge of the table and leap like a bridge jumper,
and then poof her wings out at the very last second?
The Bride's cockatiel used to do that routine - quite an act...
I dated a bird expert once,she told me she’s had a cockatoo.

Back
Top Bottom