Flying to Tennessee. Advice / Tips wanted.

I'm flying to Nashville on Southwest Airlines from Logan. Please let me know if my steps are correct. I just want a double check.

1) Do not carry to airport.
2) Lock unloaded pistol and ammo into the same hard container with key only I have access to.
3) Place locked hard container into my luggage. Lock luggage with TSA lock.
4) Declare firearm at the check-in counter.
5) Fly.
6) Pick up luggage in Tennessee from the carousel.
7) Leave airport.
8) Carry gun.

Same thing for return flight

https://www.southwest.com/html/cust...ge_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_10_scroll
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Tennessee

Any other tips about Nashville and Memphis in general?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't have any advice to offer. It looks like you have things covered. I did read the links. The TN gun laws make me want to relocate permanently.

Go to the Southwest website and print the pages outlining their Firearms policy, bring it with you to the airport and keep it handy. The SW clerk you deal with might not know them.

I've done this with SW a number of times. You will have to go to a special area to pick up your declared luggage and they will probably ask for ID before they give it to you. Once returning to Logan, my firearms luggage came to the main carousel so pay attention.

I'm flying to Nashville on Southwest Airlines from Logan. Please let me know if my steps are correct. I just want a double check.

1) Do not carry to airport.
2) Lock unloaded pistol and ammo into the same hard container with key only I have access to.
3) Place locked hard container into my luggage. Lock luggage with TSA lock.
4) Declare firearm at the check-in counter.
5) Fly.
6) Pick up luggage in Tennessee from the carousel.
7) Leave airport.
8) Carry gun.

Same thing for return flight

https://www.southwest.com/html/cust...ge_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_10_scroll
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Tennessee

Any other tips about Nashville any Memphis in general?

Thanks
Your location is not shown. Are you flying from NH?

If you have a NH P&R, you have reciprocity with TN--at least for now.

Nashville is a gun prohibitionist city. You can carry there, but neither the Nashville PD nor the Davidson County Sheriff's Department will like it. Nor will any of the people who detect you are carrying there.

Your location is not shown. Are you flying from NH?

If you have a NH P&R, you have reciprocity with TN--at least for now.

Nashville is a gun prohibitionist city. You can carry there, but neither the Nashville PD nor the Davidson County Sheriff's Department will like it. Nor will any of the people who detect you are carrying there.

Nashville is a gun prohibitionist city? Sounds like Boston?

Leaving from Logan airport.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html
This website says TN recognizes MA CCP

You can carry at Logan now. You just have to wear a CCW sash.

- - - Updated - - -

also: Obligatory flying sucks, I'll never fly anywhere shitpost.

Two optional things I do.

1. After the Counter rep gives me the firearm form, I place it in the container and then take a picture of the form in the container, alongside the gun so if there's ever "You didn't follow procedure/fill out the form," I have proof.
2. I tape a card to the outside of the case with my name and cell phone number in big letters so if TSA ever opens the suitcase, they know how to reach me. I have no faith in those "Please pick up a white courtesy phone" pages.

8. Run steel cable through magwell or cylinder opening of gun, through side of hard case and attach it to the larger outside suitcase to make it harder to pilfer from the luggage.

8. Run steel cable through magwell or cylinder opening of gun, through side of hard case and attach it to the larger outside suitcase to make it harder to pilfer from the luggage.

How about just through the handle of the hard case to the frame of the luggage? I'd hate to drill a hole thru my waterproof/resistant pelican case.

??
can you elaborate on that or is this sarcasm and I did not understand?

yeah MassPort issued a new rule that you can carry anywhere in Logan if you wear one of these:
58603d1335805623-saw-idiot-ccw-permit-badge-mall-p_080000833_2.jpg

[troll]

You can carry at Logan now. You just have to wear a CCW sash.

- - - Updated - - -

also: Obligatory flying sucks, I'll never fly anywhere shitpost.
If you haven't received your CCW sash from your local PD, I find it just as effective to scream "I am currently carrying a loaded firearm!" inside on Logan just to let everyone know I'm carrying...
*The above poster takes no responsibility for being tazed by State Police inside of airport*

Just remember one thing if your flight for any reason gets redirected to a place like New Jersey don't take possession of your gun.Make the airline transported to your next flight.

I flew to Texas a couple of weeks ago. My checked luggage was a hardsided gun case. In it was an unloaded firearm, ammunition in manufacture's packaging, empty magazines, and my Benchmade. I had to open it at the counter when I declared it. Signed a form, tossed the form in it, snapped a photo, locked it and handed it over.

When preparing to fly I checked TSA current regs and the specific airline's regs, which included the bit about ammo in manufacturer or cases, (not in mags). Airline also required me to check in at special counter and to pick up baggage from office, (not from carousel).

Check the laws in TN, specifically the airline you're landing at regarding carry. I grabbed a cab from the airport in TX, went to my destination, then headed for a men's room to put my firearm on because I wasn't sure about the airport itself. Some airports, (such as Savannah), allow firearms to be carried in the terminal, but not in secure areas; while others forbid them in the entire terminal.

Everywhere has better BBQ than NH.

My sister lives in Nashville. Better BBQ in Memphis.

All New England BBQ is transplanted Southerners (like myself) trying to bring some joy in the hellhole of shitty food and ******* people that is New England, the literal opposite of the South...although the fresh seafood is ok.

What about "no guns allowed" signs on businesses? I dont even see those in MA.

This should help.

Places Off-Limits Even With a Permit/License
 Any room in which judicial proceedings are in progress.
 *Any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.
 It is not an offense for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if such firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by such adult, or by any other person acting with the expresses or implied consent of such adult, while such vehicle is on school property.
An individual, corporation, business entity or government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by this subsection, at meetings conducted by, or on premises owned, operated, managed or under control of such individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of such prohibition shall be posted in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom