• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying to Tennessee. Advice / Tips wanted.

Tennessee's BBQ was nothing special. I mean it's, "fine" and better than the Northeast, but Texas blows it out of the water six ways from sunday. Monell's was where we went (with a local). There is another place that serves family style that was supposed to be off-the-chain but I didn't make it there.

Also, Nashville's specialty is, "Hot Chicken" and not BBQ. I had it one place...didn't thrill me.

I prepared myself for some country music ass country music going down there. We saw this bluegrass band at Pucketts and I was like, OK...I'm down with this. Another night I tried to go out to the bars on Broadway and couldn't even get through the door of a single bar. Shit ass pop-country bullshit...absolutely unlistenable. Granted, I'm not the world's biggest country fan but I was really trying to get myself in the spirit.

Even though Pucketts is a chain, I recommend it, by the way.

The pedestrian bridge over the cumberland river was pretty rad, the Bicentennial Capital Mall State Park was REALLY rad. I found the parthenon a bit underhwelming, but it's something to do.

The state prison down there is where they filmed the green mile and some other movies. I tied to drive by...unfortunately you can't get close enough for it to really be cool unless they have it open for one of the races.

I also took a drive out into the country and had some fun with that. I had a goal for some pictures I wanted to take, so I'm not sure it would appeal to others. My intent was to make it to Knoxville, stay overnight to see Knoxville, and hit the Smokeys for a few hours, but it just didn't work out.

Next time I want to try and get to Oak Ridge.

Apparently, I don't seem to have posted all my Nashville pictures to my website. I know I processed a bunch of them...I can't seem to find them online. If I get a chance I'll post a few.

My sister lives in Nashville. Better BBQ in Memphis.

All New England BBQ is transplanted Southerners (like myself) trying to bring some joy in the hellhole of shitty food and ******* people that is New England, the literal opposite of the South...although the fresh seafood is ok.

People in the South scare the shit out of me. Everyone is too friendly. It doesn't come across as genuine to me at all. I fully acknowledge that I am an ******* Northeasterner, though. ;) I don't say this as a real criticism...just an explanation of my own hangups.

Midwest hospitality I can deal with. Love people from Michigan. I swear random strangers would throw themselves in front of a train for you if it came down to it.

Unpopular opinion, but one of the things I like best about California is the people. Their politics are ****ing wacked, no argument, but they're sort of like people from the Northeast in that they're very direct. They don't beat around the bush like down south. But at the same time they're much more friendly than the Northeast. I'm not really one to initiate conversation with strangers, but every time I go out to CA I wind up meeting tons of interesting people.

Especially when they close blocks of downtown and turn it into one giant BBQ pit.

Too bad Nashville apparently canceled the Dance the District nights where they blocked off four blocks along the river for live concerts. That was great.

As for TN vs TX BBQ, I like both. They are just different.

Centential Park is nice, the farmers market there is a great place for lunch. I like the way they did the amphitheater and they way they worked the train line into the design.

Now I am heading to Redbones for lunch as this talk is making me hungry.

like the way they did the amphitheater and they way they worked the train line into the design.

I have a picture or two I need to post. I LOVED that train line and how it works with the park and amphitheater. It was honestly one of the coolest parts of the city for me.

I'm not really one to initiate conversation with strangers, but every time I go out to CA I wind up meeting tons of interesting people.

Generally agree, though it also depends on where in CA. Too many people in Los Angeles seem to base their personal status on how rude they can be to others and get away with it. I will still go there if only for LACMA and the Peterson Automotive Museum. San Diego and San Francisco are full of interesting people, though I have to remember not to talk politics with random people from SF.

If you hear someone tell you you have purty mouth,or a banjo playing run like a son of a bit^h.

Generally agree, though it also depends on where in CA. Too many people in Los Angeles seem to base their personal status on how rude they can be to others and get away with it. I will still go there if only for LACMA and the Peterson Automotive Museum. San Diego and San Francisco are full of interesting people, though I have to remember not to talk politics with random people from SF.

Yea, I do agree about LA. I can't say I didn't like it there, but it was more the proximity to so many cool beach towns than LA itself. Hollywood was ****ing unbearable.

Somehow I wound up talking about guns and concealed carry with an Uber driver in SF. No idea how it got started but I was just like, oh no...here we go. Luckily he turned out to be ex-military who actually owned guns and lived in SF. Our opinions on concealed carry were a little different, but luckily we managed to talk more about stuff we agreed on.

Totally agree, though, I try to stay away from politics out there. The people are interesting for other reasons...the only reason to go there is to make yourself not have a good time.

Yea, I do agree about LA. I can't say I didn't like it there, but it was more the proximity to so many cool beach towns than LA itself. Hollywood was ****ing unbearable.

Somehow I wound up talking about guns and concealed carry with an Uber driver in SF. No idea how it got started but I was just like, oh no...here we go. Luckily he turned out to be ex-military who actually owned guns and lived in SF. Our opinions on concealed carry were a little different, but luckily we managed to talk more about stuff we agreed on.

Totally agree, though, I try to stay away from politics out there. The people are interesting for other reasons...the only reason to go there is to make yourself not have a good time.

If you are in SF again, be sure to stop by TAD Gear, they have two locations.

When we were breaking up, my EX moved to Westwood in Los Angeles. She needed new plates and flatware, the only Crate and Barrel is in Beverly Hills. Had a total Pretty Woman moment, we could not get waited on. Guess we did not look rich enough to shop there.

Thread-Drift.jpg

How about just through the handle of the hard case to the frame of the luggage? I'd hate to drill a hole thru my waterproof/resistant pelican case.
Insufficient, since the TSA has to be able to open the hard case to inspect the gun. The idea is to prevent anyone from removing the gun which is easier to sneak out than the entire luggage.

I have a nice pelican case, but I use a much lower end hard case inside my luggage. Mutilating a Pelican case goes against the laws nature.

This idea can also be used to secure a gun to the interior of a car's trunk if you are traveling and cannot bring the gun in with you, or have too many to do so. I know of cases where parking lots were targeted while an "after shooting event" dinner/ceremony was being held in a hotel.

Insufficient, since the TSA has to be able to open the hard case to inspect the gun. The idea is to prevent anyone from removing the gun which is easier to sneak out than the entire luggage.

I have a nice pelican case, but I use a much lower end hard case inside my luggage. Mutilating a Pelican case goes against the laws nature.

This idea can also be used to secure a gun to the interior of a car's trunk if you are traveling and cannot bring the gun in with you, or have too many to do so. I know of cases where parking lots were targeted while an "after shooting event" dinner/ceremony was being held in a hotel.
I thought TSA is NOT supposed to handle my gun case/gun without me around. Only after I unlock the case.

You are never supposed to give up your key. If they take it from you, they are doing it wrong.
I was required to give up the key in Phoenix so they could open the case in some back room (nothing was taken). Good luck getting them to follow the finer points of the policy.

If this is what is recommended, can I just use my cheap walmart case with only 1 padlock? It can be opened with the padlock installed but the cable should prevent any theft. What cable do you recommend?

1z3uqh0.jpg

15zmnag.jpg

All New England BBQ is transplanted Southerners (like myself) trying to bring some joy in the hellhole of shitty food and ******* people that is New England, the literal opposite of the South...although the fresh seafood is ok.

Well, lack of freedom and nasty people - yes, I will give you that, but shitty food?

Cambridge may be a commie s***hole but they have some of the best restaurants in the country (Oleana, Craigie on Main, also Sarma in Somerville). Boston has some exceptional restaurants.

- - - Updated - - -

Is risk of theft really that high?
Makes me want to reconsider flying with my guns next week.

Is it documented somewhere not to give up your key? You obviously need to be polite to TSA and generally bend over for them, but I would also not tend to drift out of compliance with documented policies on this for my own sake. I would at least ask if I could discuss it with a supervisor.

I was required to give up the key in Phoenix so they could open the case in some back room (nothing was taken). Good luck getting them to follow the finer points of the policy.

I showed them the printed copy of the policy where I'm not supposed to give them the key at the St Louis airport and the fat a$$ inspector had to walk from the special room and inspect my case in public. It was hilarious watching him inspect the case, checking every little corner and pulling up the foam packing. What are you looking for a gun? It was already declared. Security theater at its best

...can I just use my cheap Walmart case with only 1 padlock?
http://i68.tinypic.com/1z3uqh0.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/15zmnag.jpg

The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm flying from Logan to Nashville next Wednesday on Jet Blue. I don't check any thing and when my buddy picks me up at the airport he hands me one of his firearms and off we go. We are planning to fish at Watts Bar and Chickamaughga Lakes for a week and spend the last night having a good time in Nashville. I'm sure there will be some adult beverages involved so I won't carrying there. We do the same when he comes up here. I hate waiting in lines or having to talk to airport people, this is so much easier.

Just go straight south to Murfreesboro and see if Barrett will loan you something to carry while you are there.
[smile]

2. Ammunition does not have to go inside the locked case. It does have to be in a box designed for ammunition. That can be the box it came in or an aftermarket box.

3. DO NOT use TSA locks. Use a quality lock. I use a keyed lock and bring two keys, just in case.

As of this morning, the declaration card is being taped on the outside of the case if it's inside a suitcase. That's so TSA knows what's in the box. TSA really only cares about the box if it alarms. Other than that they don't routinely ask to open them. It's up to the airline to make sure it's unloaded.

This morning in Austin the SWA folks asked me ir the gun was unloaded, but didn't ask me to open the box. At Logan last week they did.

I don't know if having Pre Check makes a difference in this or not.

I recommend using a cable to tether the box to the frame of the suitcase. There is no benefit to running a cable through the firearm itself.

Enjoy Nashville, it's a great city.

2. Ammunition does not have to go inside the locked case. It does have to be in a box designed for ammunition. That can be the box it came in or an aftermarket box.

3. DO NOT use TSA locks. Use a quality lock. I use a keyed lock and bring two keys, just in case.

As of this morning, the declaration card is being taped on the outside of the case if it's inside a suitcase. That's so TSA knows what's in the box. TSA really only cares about the box if it alarms. Other than that they don't routinely ask to open them. It's up to the airline to make sure it's unloaded.

This morning in Austin the SWA folks asked me ir the gun was unloaded, but didn't ask me to open the box. At Logan last week they did.

I don't know if having Pre Check makes a difference in this or not.

I recommend using a cable to tether the box to the frame of the suitcase. There is no benefit to running a cable through the firearm itself.

Enjoy Nashville, it's a great city.
did they change something with the declaration card going on the outside in the past ~3 years? I've always had it shoved right inside of the bag..Seems like a bad idea to call that out to the baggage handlers who already have a reputation of thievery..

did they change something with the declaration card going on the outside in the past ~3 years? I've always had it shoved right inside of the bag..Seems like a bad idea to call that out to the baggage handlers who already have a reputation of thievery..

Taped to the outside of your gun case which goes into your checked bag. Delta had me do this about 6 months ago when I went to Atlanta.

That is different from past instances.

Back
Top Bottom