Flying to Atlanta..then driving to AL

I'm taking a class in Talladega, AL, and wasn't sure about driving down or flying to Atlanta and renting a car to Talladega. I was all set to book flight, when I thought, GA has no reciprocity with Mass LTC. Am I overthinking this? I am not going to be carrying in Georgia, but I AM concerned about flying into State. Anyone's knowledge or potential issues flying into ATL is appreciated. Thanks!

There are airports to fly into in alabama. It'll be more expensive, but you wont need to worry about georgia.

Birmingham is a smaller and very convenient airport if you can find reasonable tickets. No way to avoid a connection for there, however. While I don't have any direct experience flying in/out of ATL with a firearm, friends in GA have done so with no problems. Honestly, flying out of Mass is the bigger concern.

IANAL but... So long as you are not concealed carrying in GA and transporting according to local law, you are not going to have a problem. For example, no reciprocity in Louisiana but I can keep a loaded pistol in the glove box or center console of my vehicle no problema. Most states especially southern states are not like MA at all. Follow FAA and airline guidelines for transport and the local transport laws in GA and AL. Also try contacting one of your instructors in Talladega- I bet they can provide some guidance.

I'm taking a class in Talladega, AL, and wasn't sure about driving down or flying to Atlanta and renting a car to Talladega. I was all set to book flight, when I thought, GA has no reciprocity with Mass LTC. Am I overthinking this? I am not going to be carrying in Georgia, but I AM concerned about flying into State. Anyone's knowledge or potential issues flying into ATL is appreciated. Thanks!
I fly into GA , much more last year then now but never worried and I was driving to Alabama as well. Carrying several firearms , never a problem in 8 years hunting and shooting down there. Well except one time but that was a bar fight so I won’t go into it.

Birmingham is a smaller and very convenient airport if you can find reasonable tickets. No way to avoid a connection for there, however. While I don't have any direct experience flying in/out of ATL with a firearm, friends in GA have done so with no problems. Honestly, flying out of Mass is the bigger concern.

IANAL but... So long as you are not concealed carrying in GA and transporting according to local law, you are not going to have a problem. For example, no reciprocity in Louisiana but I can keep a loaded pistol in the glove box or center console of my vehicle no problema. Most states especially southern states are not like MA at all. Follow FAA and airline guidelines for transport and the local transport laws in GA and AL. Also try contacting one of your instructors in Talladega- I bet they can provide some guidance.
Actually, Delta is a little cheaper by connecting to Birmingham than direct to Atlanta! Car rental is $120 cheaper in Birmingham. Sounds good so far, except the 3hr layover in ATL.

GA does not require a permit for mere possession, only for concealed carry.

Flying in or out of Logan has never been a problem for me. No one has ever asked to see my LTC when I've come back from out of state. Unlike Port Authority airports in NY and NJ, the airlines will not report you when you check a gun in or pick one up.

I've flown into and out of Birmingham with firearms, it's also no problem.

Actually, Delta is a little cheaper by connecting to Birmingham than direct to Atlanta! Car rental is $120 cheaper in Birmingham. Sounds good so far, except the 3hr layover in ATL.
Go figure! Actually, I'm not surprised that Delta does that- they all rip off passengers on direct flights. All the years I lived outside Nashville, I was often coming to Worcester meetings via TF Green but also flying once or twice a month to work near Charlotte. BNA to PVD was $190, while BNA to CLT was usually ~$800, and the PVD flight always connected via CLT.

Going to TMP for the training?

In my experience, Delta is terrible when checking in guns. I would fly Southwest, Manchester NH to Atlanta, put your guns in the car and drive to Alabama. I don't buy air tix based on price, I buy based on which airline is easiest to check guns in

Go figure! Actually, I'm not surprised that Delta does that- they all rip off passengers on direct flights. All the years I lived outside Nashville, I was often coming to Worcester meetings via TF Green but also flying once or twice a month to work near Charlotte. BNA to PVD was $190, while BNA to CLT was usually ~$800, and the PVD flight always connected via CLT.

Going to TMP for the training?

I used to book those connecting flights and just bail on the last leg to get the cheaper fair, but every airline clamped down on this practice years ago and would go as far as to threaten blacklisting for doing it. They would also cancel your return flights if you did it on the outbound. They claim it is for safety and accountability, and while there might be some truth to that, I'm sure the big money on direct flights is a motivator.

This doesn't answer your question. But the car rental area at atl is pretty convenient for getting on the highway. A small tram ride

In my experience, Delta is terrible when checking in guns. I would fly Southwest, Manchester NH to Atlanta, put your guns in the car and drive to Alabama. I don't buy air tix based on price, I buy based on which airline is easiest to check guns in
I was also looking into southwest BOS, I'll checkout NH. thanks for tip on Delta. Flying with firearms(this is my 1st time) is a real PITA, along w shipping ammo. I ALMOST want to drive!

I was also looking into southwest BOS, I'll checkout NH. thanks for tip on Delta. Flying with firearms(this is my 1st time) is a real PITA, along w shipping ammo. I ALMOST want to drive!
Depending upon how many guns and how much ammunition it may be better to just rent a car and drive. Whatever course you’re taking, bring a spare gun.

I have flown in and out of Atlanta many times and checked a firearm. Not complicated to do but I was forced the last couple of times to go to a separate counter to have the firearm “checked”. Bring two cases - one for the pistol and the other for ammo. Plenty of opinions on the rules and if you want to avoid any “experts” at the check in counter, bring two lock boxes. I used a hard case metal box for the pistol and a small plastic plano pistol box for ammo. No one cared and no one asked any stupid questions.

Depending upon how many guns and how much ammunition it may be better to just rent a car and drive. Whatever course you’re taking, bring a spare gun.
Maybe 3 Pistols; 12- 1400 rounds ( I'd have to ship 1000). I didn't think of a rent & drive, but why put the wear & tear on my vehicle, good point

I have flown in and out of Atlanta many times and checked a firearm. Not complicated to do but I was forced the last couple of times to go to a separate counter to have the firearm “checked”. Bring two cases - one for the pistol and the other for ammo. Plenty of opinions on the rules and if you want to avoid any “experts” at the check in counter, bring two lock boxes. I used a hard case metal box for the pistol and a small plastic plano pistol box for ammo. No one cared and no one asked any stupid questions.
Any particular airline, or was this just dealing with Atlanta?

Maybe 3 Pistols; 12- 1400 rounds ( I'd have to ship 1000). I didn't think of a rent & drive, but why put the wear & tear on my vehicle, good point

I attended UA in Tuscaloosa for a semester and thus did the drive from RI to AL a few times. Its doable. Ideally, you'd want to drive with someone else in shifts, or book a hotel in a 2A-friendly state like WV or TN as a midway stop.

If I was transporting x3 pistols and 12-14k rounds of pistol ammo, I'd probably drive, but I'd be very careful and would take it easy, especially in Mass, NY, NJ (if applicable, I usually took 84 to go around NJ), and VA.

I attended UA in Tuscaloosa for a semester and thus did the drive from RI to AL a few times. Its doable. Ideally, you'd want to drive with someone else in shifts, or book a hotel in a 2A-friendly state like WV or TN as a midway stop.

If I was transporting x3 pistols and 12-14k rounds of pistol ammo, I'd probably drive, but I'd be very careful and would take it easy, especially in Mass, NY, NJ (if applicable, I usually took 84 to go around NJ), and VA.
Unfortunately I'd be solo. I would take 84 and/or stay away from NYC and NJ.
I've driven cross country twice 20 and 31 yrs (ages ago). Sometimes driving (even solo) just seems simpler. Also, the thought of ammo getting delayed and not getting there on-time!

Unfortunately I'd be solo. I would take 84 and/or stay away from NYC and NJ.
I've driven cross country twice 20 and 31 yrs (ages ago). Sometimes driving (even solo) just seems simpler. Also, the thought of ammo getting delayed and not getting there on-time!

In that case, I'd plan on a hotel stop midway, say PA or WV.

What I usually do, like when I drove to AL or last year when I drove to IL, is to wait until around 4-6pm, then drive as long as possible, which is usually around the PA border before I get tired. PA is a long, pretty boring drive. But, VA is worse because speeding is a no-go. So, I'd stop either at the NY/PA border or WV panhandle.

If you do get a rental, you'd have the advantage of better MPGs if you go with something like a hatchback. If you keep the driving aspect as economical as possible, you can get away with three or four tanks of gas and minimal amounts on food. Packing food and drinks is even better.

If you use your own car, obviously you'd want to change the oil before leaving and upon getting home and bring stuff like an air compressor and other tools.

Any particular airline, or was this just dealing with Atlanta?

Delta and I believe Jet Blue. The airline doesn’t really matter from my experience.

I once flew out of Ft. Lauderdale and the guy at the service desk told me I couldn’t have the ammo in the same box as my pistol. I told him I flew down with it and passed in Logan and he said that wasn’t the correct process. When I asked what to with ammo he said just hide it in my clothes. I didn’t argue and said ok. He watched me do my thing and I zipped up the luggage, he put the tags on and a few hours later I had my bag at Logan.

There is no consistency between airlines and staff. Just put the pistol in a locked case. I latch the cable around the luggage frame to my lock box and don’t worry about it.

In that case, I'd plan on a hotel stop midway, say PA or WV.

What I usually do, like when I drove to AL or last year when I drove to IL, is to wait until around 4-6pm, then drive as long as possible, which is usually around the PA border before I get tired. PA is a long, pretty boring drive. But, VA is worse because speeding is a no-go. So, I'd stop either at the NY/PA border or WV panhandle.

If you do get a rental, you'd have the advantage of better MPGs if you go with something like a hatchback. If you keep the driving aspect as economical as possible, you can get away with three or four tanks of gas and minimal amounts on food. Packing food and drinks is even better.

If you use your own car, obviously you'd want to change the oil before leaving and upon getting home and bring stuff like an air compressor and other tools.

The other option that I have preferred is leave ~3 to 3:30am which for me is easier to wake up with a Red Bull or two rather than try to stay awake late at night. Cuts out most of the East Coast traffic but more importantly all my passengers konk out and don't ask to stop and take a pee within the first couple hours. No complaining either and the sunrises are nice. We periodically make the drive to see family in Louisiana when there's a lot to haul and/or we're taking (big) dogs for a longer stay. We'll stop as close as Bristol for the overnight or go as far as Chattanooga.

Southwest and American haven't given me any problems over the past few years. Last I knew Jet Blue required the ammunition and firearm to be in separate suitcases. Also, the FAA limits ammunition to 11 pounds.

Ammunition can be in the same box as the firearm according to TSA. So can magazines. What you can't do is load the magazines with ammunition. I've traveled with the ammunition in the locked case and with it not in the locked case depending on the circumstances.. Right now, I'd put it in a locked case because while they might not be able to steal a firearm out of a locked case, they can steal ammunition out of an unlocked box.

Whatever airline you fly check their websites for their firearms policies. Also, check the TSA regulations. Usually they are identical, but not always. I carry printouts of the applicable section of the airline Contract of Carriage and the TSA regulations in case there is an issue.

As NorthShore mentioned, there is no consistency on how either the airline or the TSA regulations are applied. And they will tell you that EVERYONE else does it wrong, and only their airport does it right.

Once you've done it a few times, it's really easy to fly with firearms. I've found it's much easier if you are nice to the counter agents and even the TSA people. Snark will get you nowhere.

The other option that I have preferred is leave ~3 to 3:30am which for me is easier to wake up with a Red Bull or two rather than try to stay awake late at night. Cuts out most of the East Coast traffic but more importantly all my passengers konk out and don't ask to stop and take a pee within the first couple hours. No complaining either and the sunrises are nice. We periodically make the drive to see family in Louisiana when there's a lot to haul and/or we're taking (big) dogs for a longer stay. We'll stop as close as Bristol for the overnight or go as far as Chattanooga.
Wow, you making it to Chattanooga is making time!
I was thinking leaving 3am, so I don't have to drive all night. I'd plan it to hotel it Thursday night; arrive Talladega Friday afternoon.
Driving would be trouble if a snowstorm is along the way, so Booking a flight is option plan A or B

You’re overthinking this. I flew into ATL two years ago with 4 very large rifle cases and a medium sized case with pistols (thankfully I was still military and BS’d that I was on orders so they flew for free) and probably close to 600 rounds of hand loads. As soon as I got off the flight I went straight to the baggage carousel and realized that they took my rifles to the ‘oversized baggage’ area right behind it instead.

rolled my rifles over to car rental and got in my new hooptie and I was off to Talladega (CMP Marksmanship park).

nobody blinked an eye in either state.

...until I flew back in to Hartford with the same set of guns, lol...whatever, f*** them.

You’re overthinking this. I flew into ATL two years ago with 4 very large rifle cases and a medium sized case with pistols (thankfully I was still military and BS’d that I was on orders so they flew for free) and probably close to 600 rounds of hand loads. As soon as I got off the flight I went straight to the baggage carousel and realized that they took my rifles to the ‘oversized baggage’ area right behind it instead.

rolled my rifles over to car rental and got in my new hooptie and I was off to Talladega (CMP Marksmanship park).

nobody blinked an eye in either state.

...until I flew back in to Hartford with the same set of guns, lol...whatever, f*** them.
I have news for you my friend- It wasn't the rifles that the Hartford folks thought was sketchy! [devil]

GA does not require a permit for mere possession, only for concealed carry.

Flying in or out of Logan has never been a problem for me. No one has ever asked to see my LTC when I've come back from out of state. Unlike Port Authority airports in NY and NJ, the airlines will not report you when you check a gun in or pick one up.

I've flown into and out of Birmingham with firearms, it's also no problem.

GA does not require a permit for mere possession, only for concealed carry

That's not exactly how I understand the law here. In Georgia you may have a loaded firearm in your home, on your property or in your car without any permit. You may have an unloaded, cased firearm anywhere without a permit.

Georgia is an open carry state, your weapons permit lets you carry open or concealed in public - with some exceptions - police stations, courthouses, schools, polling stations, etc.

So, if the OP wants to fly into Atlanta after checking firearms at source, all he has to do is pick them up at destination and walk out to car rental with them, with them still cased.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, GA has reciprocity with the multi-state issuers - VA, UT, AZ, PA & FL plus a host of others. MA is NOT on that list. I would venture a guess that MA isn't on the list because agreements are usually bi-directional - and MA refuses to honor GA's permit - but that's only a guess.

Back
Top Bottom