Flying out tomorrow

Producer

NES Member
Been a while since I flew out of Boston Logan with a firearm. Any current issues with American Airlines? Leaving tomorrow. Flying to Texas.

Logan is generally not a problem. The baggage screening is not always out in the open as is the case at TF Green in RI. The ticket agent will generally direct you to a TSA baggage person. If they simply accept your bag, I'd suggest asking where you can find TSA baggage inspection and take it yourself. I've had TSA/Logan enforce a non-existant "no ammo in the same piece of luggage" requirement but, other than that, have not had any difficulty with the process.

Thanks for the heads up. No problems on American Airlines.

I wonder; when they do that swab for explosives, why doesn't it pick up on the ammo?

It depends on the type of smokeless powder, concentrations and both the sensitivity and discrimination of the machine. Single base smokless powders use nitrocelluose as the propellant, whereas double base generally use nitrocellouse and nitroglycerine (the later typically in lower concentration than the former).

While smokless powder is indeed a "propellant" rather than an "explosive", it is very possible that some detection systems might consider nitroglycerine to be an explosive regardless of it's contextual usage.

Back
Top Bottom