• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying home with ammo?

I'll be going to AZ for about a week on business, and while I'm there I was going to look for some ammo I can never find around home (MA). I'll especially be watching for Federal bulk 22lr at any Walmarts I happen to pass. I've never flown with ammo before, but from what I can tell, if I keep it in its original container, I can put it in my checked baggage (in a locked box?) and just tell the person at the counter when I check it for the flight home. I'll be flying into TF Green, which is why I'm putting this in the RI forum.

Is this all correct? Is there any limit on how much ammo I can travel with? Is this not worth the trouble? Thanks for any help!

I would contact the airline you plan on using and see what the requirements are. They know all the rules, and will tell you how much it will cost in over size bag fees.

Check regs of TSA and the airline. I usually fly AA and I believe the limit is 7 lbs for ammo. They are all slightly different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Every airline has it's policies posted online. It's a really simple process, especially if it's just ammo. Where will you be in AZ?

I'll be going to AZ for about a week on business, and while I'm there I was going to look for some ammo I can never find around home (MA). I'll especially be watching for Federal bulk 22lr at any Walmarts I happen to pass. I've never flown with ammo before, but from what I can tell, if I keep it in its original container, I can put it in my checked baggage (in a locked box?) and just tell the person at the counter when I check it for the flight home. I'll be flying into TF Green, which is why I'm putting this in the RI forum.

Is this all correct? Is there any limit on how much ammo I can travel with? Is this not worth the trouble? Thanks for any help!

Firearms and Ammunition
Traveling with Special Items

<http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition>

Most airlines permit it, provided it is packaged to their (as well as the TSA) minimum standard.
Most airlines stipulate a maximum weight of ammunition per passenger.
Check with the airline(s).

TSA is base rules. Usually the airlines further restrict.

Here is AA http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/firearms.jsp which is 11 lbs for ammo (thought I remembered 7 lbs)
Here is UA http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx also 11 lbs
Here is Jetblue http://hola.jetblue.com/enes/sdhelp...00000055950352,K=1283,Sxi=1,Case=obj(2228)#s1 which is 10lbs

Just use google and do "ammunition site:aa.com" changing aa.com to your airlines and you will get what you need quickly

Also note that AA allows ammunition in the same locked box as the firearm (i always bring my EDC in a stackon cable locked to the suitcase, unloaded with the populated magazines inside the same lockbox) and jetblue requires ammunition to be in a different container. Everyone airline is different.

Firearms and Ammunition
Traveling with Special Items

<http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition>

Most airlines permit it, provided it is packaged to their (as well as the TSA) minimum standard.
Most airlines stipulate a maximum weight of ammunition per passenger.
Check with the airline(s).

It's definitely less hassle and might be cheaper (you can ship more and avoid huge fees for overweight bags) to ship it UPS/FedEx Ground to yourself here from AZ. It just needs to be marked "ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition" on the outside, no Haz-Mat fees or anything special other than hitting up a depot (not Kinkos/Mailboxes etc) to ship it.

I've done it, the limit on my airline at the time was 11 lbs. Ammo in original boxes in ziploc bags in my locked suitcase (next to my Sig Sauer at the time).
If you're going to check the bag anyway, why not bring back the ammo?

Anything else, it certainly makes sense to ship. Protip: ask the place where you buy the ammo for the blue ORM-D "cartridges, small arms" sticker. You can cut it off a shipping carton in they received and stick it to your shipping box with packing tape. It just has to be there.

Thanks everyone for the quick input. I guess I'm more concerned with any RI laws about importing ammo than I am with the airlines. I just don't want to land in PVD and have the police meet me as I step off the jetway :)

I think I'll go the shipping route if possible. Seems less likely to be an issue and I can get more ammo that way if I find a deal.

I'll be around Phoenix. Any of you AZ folks have any recommendations of places I should check out? I will probably be working almost the whole day (8am to 6-7pm), so unfortunately my free hours probably won't coincide with the 9am-5pm hours that a lot of gun shops seem to adhere to (at least in my area).

Can anyone verify of the 525 bulk pack of fed 22lr is often available in AZ? Almost every Walmart in New England seems to be out if it perpetually.

Last edited:
what about ups or DHL or fedex? USPS isn't the only way to ship something

Read what I was responding to carefully. The ONLY "flat rate boxes" for shipping that I'm aware of are from USPO.

UPS/FedEx Ground is fine for shipping ammo. But it is by weight and zone unlike USPO Flat Rate Shipping by Priority Mail.

Back
Top Bottom