• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fly Fishing vs. Tenkara vs. sticking with Ultralight Spinning Rod

I have some money coming in (couple hundred bucks) and am trying to figure out how I want to spend it on possibly getting some new fishing gear (translation: I want to buy more things) .

I want to look at trying to fish with some flys as a way to have some artificial lures to fish with. Took up fishing this year, and have had plenty of sucess with worms but it would be nice to try some alternatives. In going after bluegills they haven't been biting at much besides worms and they would likely be the primary target for when I am initially practicing with fishing flys.

I have an ultralight rod, but casting out anything super light doesn't go all that far so I would probably need to get a water bobber in order to try out any flys. Can easily cast stuff that is heaver, but for example a hook and a bit of worm doens't go all that far unless I put a big enough split shot on. This would lead me to believe using the ultralight rod would be less than ideal.

Have been looking around at lower end fly fishing rods and saw a bit about Tenkara rods. Not sure if this would be a good next step to purchase, or if it will just yield a need to buy more accessories to tool up in fly fishing while being unclear how enjoyable I find fly fishing.

I fish myles standish in the spring and fall. One of my favorite setups - st croix untralight 6'6" one piece rod with a shimano stradic 1000 series spooled with 10lb braid and 4 foot fluorocarbon leader with a fly and a casting bubble. Catch a bunch trout and bluegills.

I fish myles standish in the spring and fall. One of my favorite setups - st croix untralight 6'6" one piece rod with a shimano stradic 1000 series spooled with 10lb braid and 4 foot fluorocarbon leader with a fly and a casting bubble. Catch a bunch trout and bluegills.

Well that is good to know. I currently have a 5' 6" ultralight rod. Would be short money to buy a casting bubble and some flys to try it out.

Of course then I have to find something else to spend money on. [smile]

I started fly fishing last year, it’s a fvcking expensove rabbit hole, and a lot of work needs to be put in regarding casting. I’m just finally getting the hang of it. I’d recommend renting some gear or trying out a buddies first.

I always bring my 4’6” ultra light when I go. Always good to have multiple options.

My very first fly fishing setup was a 7wt St Croix with an Orvis reel 25 or so years ago. Still have it.
My favorite ultra light rod is also a St Croix spinning.

I need to get out for some fall fishing on the West Branch.
Do you ever fish the Penobscot for smallies? We used to fish near Millinocket, lots of fun catching those smallies.

Back
Top Bottom