• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fly fishing questions

Twigg

NES Member
I'm getting back into into fly fishing as Santa brought me a 9' 5wt rod & reel combo last Christmas. I'll be fishing mostly lakes and ponds with this. Sales guy at the shop I visited for terminal tackle recommended a 4X tippet and 3X leader. He couldn't answer my questions though. [thinking]

Last time I had a fly rod was thirty years ago.
Can't remember much other than I liked to fish dry flies. [laugh]

My questions are:

Do I have the right tippet & leader ?

How long do I make the tippet and what knot is best for joining to the line ?

Pretty much the same question for the leader.

Line is weight forward, floating.

I've been watching the Orvis video's for casting technique, and other recommendations ?

I can almost taste the trout now.
hungry.gif~original

I prefer a 9ft leader tapered to 5x for trout, but will bump up to a 4x or 3x if im throwing heavier flies. Im lazy so I dont screw around with tippets, its a hassle and cuts into my fishing time...when it gets too short, tie another leader on. I use a loop to loop for fly line to leader, if i do tie a tippet on i use a barrel knot. As far as casting, take a class it will speed up the learning curve to have a certified casting jnstructor to teach you.

I was a guide in Montana outside of Yellowstone in the mid-90's.

It really depends on the situation. If you are trolling wooly buggers deep (from a canoe or stripping from a belly boat), you probably want 2x or 3x, as the flies (and likely the fish) will be bigger.

If you are dry fly fishing for small (< 12") trout, 5x - 6x is sufficient, provided you aren't trying to cross their eyes when you set the hook like when you are bass fishing.

It all really depends on the situation. I have a 2wt rod with 12x tippet and size 32 flies I use on the Swift River below the Quabbin, which in the summer is required for the midge hatches.

Leader/tippet size gets larger as the numbers get smaller. 7X is about 2-2.5lb test. Go from there. It depends what your fishing for. 3-4X is not what I use for trout, but is quite suitable for bass.

Last edited:
Learn to tie a nail knot for leader to fly line. There was a cool pocket tool that made it easier but I forget who makes it. I bought it at a sportsmans show years ago. Are tou planning on tying your own flies?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Thanks guys !

Knots I'm good at, thanks for the suggestions !
Fly tying ? Prolly not. Sam's in Swanzy has a great selection and cheap too.

Between work, reloading and canning I really don't have much free time.

Time on the water with my son is my priority.

5x for trout will be fine I fish a 7.5 ft leader just what I like loop to loop makes everything easy but nail knot for leader to fly line and I use a blood knot for leader to tippet

Leader/tippet... If, for example, you're going to fish a 5x leader, tie in a couple feet of 5x tippet. That way you're just shortening the replaceable piece every time you change flies. You can also tie in 6x if you need to. You can use a simple surgeon's knot to tie the two together. Make sure you moisten the knots before you snug them up.

You may want to try a furled leader. Try Zen Outfitters online. I recently got a couple and they are great. They have a small ring on the end that you tie your tippet material directly in any length you choose. I usually go about 5'-6' of tippet. The leader is 4.5'. I use a clinch knot on the tippet to leader and tippet to fly. They have great energy transfer from your fly line to the fly and lays out nicer than any mono/flouro tapered leader I've ever used. It also has no coil memory which helps casting tremendously. A good rule of thumb for tippet size take your hook size and divide by 3. For example you're using a size 18 fly you'd start with a 6x tippet, a size 12 go with 4x. I try to go a little heavier to say 3x or even 2x if I'm throwing big streamers or buggers because fish tend to hit them a lot harder than nymphs or dries.

All rigged up and practicing casting in the yard to strange looks from the neighbors. Gonna walk down to the lake tonight and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom