• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Florida-Summerfield homeowner injured, kills 2 intruders with AR-15

I'm not a glock fan boy, but I do keep a few around with pre ban mags as backup to the M1 Super 90 should it be needed. The Virdian, Lazer / light combination on the Glocks is a aid to my aging eyes in the dark. If the Benelli and glock backup aren't enough, I'm in more trouble than I can handle and the point then becomes moot. I am confident however that I'm well armed to deal with most intrusions that may come my way. May I ask what you defend home and hearth with. Did I forget to mention that I have two pre ban Colt AR's and a Colt CCR/ Colt competition rifle. One pre ban Colt is a AR 9mm. The other is a pre ban Colt AR15, With a Stag, flat top upper. It is equipped with a Colt, lazer / light, pistol grip, forend, a Eotech red dot, a flip to the side Eotech magnifier and back up, folding night sights. So you see, it's not that I don't believe in more modern weapons than just shotguns. It's more a case that I believe in choosing the correct weapons for the task at hand.
To address your "we should all spray and pray"comment. I feel we should all do what we think is best at all times. I'm not a fan of spray and pray. Running out out of ammo is not on my to be done list. Been there, done that. I didn't like it then either. It is however, comforting to know, that if need be, I can put down more firepower than most intruders are expecting, or can match. Attitude adjustment is great deterrent.
To address your changing subjects comment, Delete the M1Super 90 and insert Remington 870 Police model, 8 plus 1 capacity, with recoil reducing pistol grip stock for much better control and Eotech and light. Anticipated results are pretty much the same.
You ask me to school you on the U.S.M.C., TTP'S for the M1 Super 90. I'll say that the Corps. doesn't seem to feel the need to confide in me on such matters, but I can tell from experience, what a Marines mindset is when the shit hits the fan. Shotgunner included. It's pretty short and to the point. Gain fire superiority by any means required and eliminate the enemy. Most of the rules don't apply when you're being shot at. It's just you and your brother Marines doing your best to survive.
You ask for German infantry squad tactics or German arms of the day! Obviously in the trenches is where the 1897 shotgun shined. In Nam, in the jungle is where the shotgun shined. When you hear flichette rounds whizzing through the jungle foliage for the first time, you'll never forget it. Lots of steel darts have a sound all their own and a result all their own.

I remember seeing photos of a guy killed by a Homeowner years ago when a few dudes broke into his house. He hit the first dude with a shotgun using buckshot in a back bedroom of the house. The blast sent that mother fvcker to Jesus so fast he was still clutching shit in both his hands. Froze dead like a scumbag popsicle in a instant.

The results close up are pretty gruesome.

The issue isn’t the power, it’s the low round count and slow follow-up for additional shots. Taking one shot at a deer s much different than having to engage multiple targets that might be shooting back at you. I think you may need to get on a two-way range before you speak. Not really, as you’re entitled to your opinion like others, but your point of view seems a little narrowly focused.

There is a little presumption as to what kind of ranges I have been on , but that's ok.
We could have a little fun with it and do a side by side on the range though with the rifle of your choice and my beat up old Mossburg 500. stuffed with buck.
We did it once for fun years ago and it was a hoot.
Milk jugs full of water spread out over 50' at 25 yards.
It would be educational to do it again and video the results
The math of it works out to be 90 30 caliber projectiles in the air in around 4-5 seconds if your good.
Unless I'm engaging an entire squad of heavily armed snackbars or something in my house in the middle of the night I'm pretty sure I would be in good shape.

I love my AR's too , I have a ..few , but they aren't the only means of defending yourself successfully.

That said ,my go HD weapon has always been a handgun for starters anyway.
I'm not wild about tight quarters maneuvering inside with a long gun. YMMV.
If home invasions with dirtbags wearing vests and Kevlar helmets become common I may adjust that thinking.

There is a little presumption as to what kind of ranges I have been on , but that's ok.
We could have a little fun with it and do a side by side on the range though with the rifle of your choice and my beat up old Mossburg 500. stuffed with buck.
We did it once for fun years ago and it was a hoot.
Milk jugs full of water spread out over 50' at 25 yards.
It would be educational to do it again and video the results
The math of it works out to be 90 30 caliber projectiles in the air in around 4-5 seconds if your good.
Unless I'm engaging an entire squad of heavily armed snackbars or something in my house in the middle of the night I'm pretty sure I would be in good shape.

I love my AR's too , I have a ..few , but they aren't the only means of defending yourself successfully.

I'm not wild about tight quarters maneuvering inside with a long gun. YMMV.
If home invasions with dirtbags wearing vests and Kevlar helmets become common I may adjust that thinking.

My thoughts exactly. My favorite go to is a plain and simple Smith model 66, with lazer grips, stuffed with .38 +p gold dots. I think it suits most situations.

My thoughts exactly. My favorite go to is a plain and simple Smith model 66, with lazer grips, stuffed with .38 +p gold dots. I think it suits most situations.

I've done some "Fun House" stuff in the past and one of my favorites was grabbing the barrel of a rifle or shotgun when it came through the door way out too far in front of the guy holding it.

Do you not see the irony? You essentially said that people who disagreed with you should kill something other than a target before they speak. You assumed(or perhaps presumed) about a lot of people. I was hinting at your own presumptions.

...AR15s...aren't the only means of defending yourself successfully.

Of course not, and I never said as much.

I'm not wild about tight quarters maneuvering inside with a long gun. YMMV...

Me as well, purely because of the tight quarters of my house. A semi-auto pistol with a healthy standard capacity magazine is the best compromise for the terrain. If I had wider/longer hallways, or larger rooms, my choice may change.

That said, alluding to your "fun house" comment in another post, a sling and certain training on how to react if your barrel is grabbed goes a long way. Also, a carbine is magnitudes better than a non-SBS shotgun with a stock in tight quarters from a maneuverability standpoint.

Do you not see the irony? You essentially said that people who disagreed with you should kill something other than a target before they speak. You assumed(or perhaps presumed) about a lot of people. I was hinting at your own presumptions.

Of course not, and I never said as much.

Me as well, purely because of the tight quarters of my house. A semi-auto pistol with a healthy standard capacity magazine is the best compromise for the terrain. If I had wider/longer hallways, or larger rooms, my choice may change.

That said, alluding to your "fun house" comment in another post, a sling and certain training on how to react if your barrel is grabbed goes a long way. Also, a carbine is magnitudes better than a non-SBS shotgun with a stock in tight quarters from a maneuverability standpoint.

I really make no presumptions .
When someone eludes that a shotgun is useless , they make it for me.
I had a spirited discussion with a young man here a few years ago who assured me that you simply can't kill someone with a shotgun, it's just a Fudd gun and useless for anything other than bird hunting.
There was no talking to him although some tried.
If that was someone with real world practical knowledge then I don't know what to say.

The deal with the fun house was learning what to do and not.
I always liked being the bad guy [smile]

Back
Top Bottom