• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Florida Senate permanently removes Scott Israel as Broward sheriff

mikeyp

NES Member
Florida Senate permanently removes Scott Israel as Broward sheriff

After hours of debate filled with gripping, emotional details about the Marjory Stoneman Douglas massacre and soaring rhetoric about constitutional rights and the weighty responsibilities of elected officials, the Florida Senate voted Wednesday to permanently remove suspended Broward Sheriff Scott Israel.

The 25-15 vote was mostly along party lines with Republicans, who are a majority in the Senate and loyal to the Republican governor, generally supporting removal while most Democrats voted to reinstate the Democratic sheriff. All five Broward senators voted for reinstatement, despite the wishes of Parkland parents.

Israel, whose leadership was seen as so flawed by the governor and family members of Parkland victims that it contributed to some of the 17 deaths and 17 injuries, has been out off office since Gov. Ron DeSantis suspended him in January.

“I hope the outcome provides some measure of relief to the Parkland families that have been doggedly pursuing accountability,” DeSantis said in a statement after the vote.

State senators had the authority to deliver the final verdict on whether to permanently remove or reinstate him. Wednesday’s outcome was seen as likely, especially after a vote Monday in the Senate Rules Committee, which recommended removal after 10-hour hearing.

A handful of senators split with their parties. Three Democrats — Randolph Bracy of Ocoee, Darryl Rouson of St. Petersburg, and Annette Taddeo of Miami — voted to remove Israel.

“Our job today is to arrive at our own conclusion based on all the evidence that exists,” Rouson said. “The policies created by the sheriff shape the actions of the deputy,” adding that “I make this decision today not based on a primary opponent. Not based on the next election. But I make it because I believe that it’s the right decision."

Taddeo said she needed to listen to the voices of the Parkland parents. “I am taking the call of the parents,” she said.

State Sen. Tom Lee, R-Brandon, voted against removing Israel.

Lee said he had serious concerns about the fairness of the process — and said Israel has as many rights as the school shooter will enjoy during his trial — and he had concerns about the precedent set that could lead to future sheriffs being suspended for the actions of one deputy.

"Based on the acts of an individual deputy on an individual day," Lee said prior to his vote, "We are establishing new law."

“You can’t have confidence that justice is being conducted here when things are being added on the fly,” Lee said, adding that neither Israel nor his attorney could adequately counter the new information.

But Senate Republican leader Kathleen Passidomo, R-Naples, rejected the complaints from Israel supporters that his due process rights were violated.

“Sheriff Israel received a full and thoughtful hearing in the Senate Rules Committee,” she said.

And Republican Sen. Rob Bradley, R-Fleming Island, said Israel had had plenty of opportunities to present his case. “Mr. Israel got his day in court,” he said. “Due process has been served and justice has been served.”

He added, “Mr. Israel — if he is removed today — is not being removed due to the acts of a single deputy. ... The institution failed and he was its leader.”

“Mr. Israel’s stunning callousness in some of his statements” in the days after Parkland shooting, and his refusal to accept accountability “only made a horrible and tragic situation worse and that’s part of leadership too,” Bradley added. “Today is the day for accountability.”

Sen. Perry Thurston, a Democrat who represents parts of Broward and sits on the Rules Committee, voted for the second time in the week to reinstate Israel.

“I can stand here and I can tell you how I empathize with the Parkland parents,” Thurston said. "I'm not disregarding them. None of us would."

But “95% of Broward County feels differently about the attempt to remove the sheriff.” He said that sheriffs across the state should be worried about precedent being set if Israel is removed.

“We have credibility here in the Senate. We are the Florida Senate,” Thurston said. “But we are being judged too. The whole world is watching.”

Sen. Kevin Rader, a Democrat who is based in Palm Beach County but whose district extends into northwest Broward — including the Stoneman Douglas campus — said the high standard for proof for removal had not been met.

"We are tasked between deciding about how we feel and the dangerous precedent we leave behind," Rader said.

"After much thought and soul searching,” he said as he announced his intention to support reinstatement, "the vote I take today is one of the most difficult I’ve been faced with and certainly the most personal to my district in all my years as a legislator."

As the vote inched closer, South Florida Democratic Sen. Gary Farmer made impassioned statements about the massacre and the vote.

“Because of the horrendous and ghastly nature of that event, it’s easy to be moved by the emotion and the pleas of the parents who are still grieving and who forever will be grieving for the loss of their children," Farmer said. "But if senators were interested only in heeding pleas from Parkland parents, the Legislature would have enacted a ban on assault weapons.

“We are a country founded on rule of law. We cannot base our decision on emotion,” Farmer said. Israel “soiled his own performance. I am not going to defend his performance ... but again, that is not a sufficient reason to ignore the will of Broward County voters and remove him from office.”

Though the ultimate outcome was expected, especially after the Rules Committee recommendation on Monday against reinstatement, Parkland parents weren’t leaving anything for chance. Many were in the halls of the Capitol and Senate office building on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, meeting with as many senators as they can to press for Israel’s removal.

Although Senate President Bill Galvano didn’t want senators to comment about the case before voting, the Senate had allowed private, one-on-one conversations with senators urging them how to vote.

DeSantis beefed up his effort with a new attorney and the governor’s team and Parkland parents had been lobbying senators, an effort that intensified as this week’s special session got closer and after a special master appointed by the Senate president to examine the case recommended reinstating Israel.

Special Master Dudley Goodlette said the governor’s office didn’t offer sufficient justification for removing Israel.

Israel’s lawyer, Benedict Kuehne, has portrayed the Senate process as more like a judicial proceeding and said no one representing the suspended sheriff has been lobbying. The Israel camp has hinted that it could go to federal court and pursue a claim that Israel’s rights have been violated during the suspension proceedings.

qijhdpvh94h01.jpg

noroqdq20gi01.jpg

Even though my job can be mind numbing(to the point I show up everyday with 2 Rockstars and a 5 hour energy), I know I'd be shit canned if I were caught napping.

Politicians answer to voters. How many voters actually pay attention to state politics and state legislative hearings?

Hell, how many voters pay attention to anything other than the (D) or (R) next to the option on the ballot?

Doesn’t excuse that fat slob from sleeping in the middle of the floor though.

The one decent thing the Chief Coward of Broward could do is suicide. The tone-deafness of that newspaper, too, endorsing a politician that’s proven to be as much of a spineless pussy as his deputy that hid outside and allowed children to be murdered.

The one decent thing the Chief Coward of Broward could do is suicide. The tone-deafness of that newspaper, too, endorsing a politician that’s proven to be as much of a spineless pussy as his deputy that hid outside and allowed children to be murdered.
Rope, bridge-jump or poison. If he uses a firearm, it will just be one more statistic for the anti-gun liberals to use against us.

View: https://twitter.com/odonnell_r/status/1288270033387487235

Kind of hard to back any of these fraternal police organizations when they keep protecting utter garbage officers and department leadership.

Really, guy lets children get molested by his officers and mass murdered on his watch under his orders and he gets an endorsement? I sure hope these bribes are worth getting raped by the barbed cock of Satan in Hell for going along with this.

Back
Top Bottom