Florida police: Self-described 'survivalist' on meth shoots and kills 4, including baby clinging to mother

Reptile

NES Member

Bryan Riley allegedly told a detective, 'They begged for their lives and I killed them anyway'​

A former Marine who was taking methamphetamine and described himself as a "survivalist" allegedly went on a shooting rampage in central Florida early Sunday morning, killing four members of a family and wounding an 11-year-old girl, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said.

The alleged shooter, 33-year-old Bryan Riley, then barricaded him in the victims' home and got into a shootout with police before eventually surrendering.

Judd said that Riley originally went to the home in Lakeland, Florida around 7:30 p.m. Saturday night and allegedly told one of the eventual victims, "I’m here to talk to Amber, you see, God sent me here because she’s going to commit suicide."

The man and another person at the house told Riley to leave then called 911, who searched for him in the area but couldn't find him.

Riley returned to his home in Brandon, Florida, roughly 30 minutes away, and got into a brief non-violent argument with his girlfriend, Judd said.

About nine hours later, Riley returned to the home of the victims in Lakeland. A sheriff's deputy in the area heard "two volleys of automatic gunfire" around 4:30 a.m.

When the deputy got to the house, he noticed a truck on fire in the front yard and a trail of glow sticks leading from the road to the home, leading police to fear that the property could be booby-trapped. The first deputy at the scene also saw the suspect outside of the house in camouflage.

"The suspect runs into the house and then there’s another volley of gunshots and they could hear a woman crying and a baby whimpering," Sheriff Grady said Saturday.

Continues...

WTF. And why was this vet doing METH??

“Police entered the house and found three deceased victims: 40-year-old Justice Gleason, a 33-year-old female, and a 3-month-old infant boy. A 62-year-old woman, who was believed to be the grandmother of the infant, was also found deceased in the apartment next door. The family's dog, Diogi, was also shot and killed.

Riley did four years of service in the Marines, deploying to Iraq in 2008 and Afghanistan in 2009 and 2010, Judd said. He was honorably discharged then served three years as a reserve.”

Once Riley was taken to the emergency room, he allegedly jumped up and tried to grab a Lakeland police officer’s gun. He was then sedated and is expected to be treated and released from the hospital. He then will be booked, and exact charges are pending.

Would have been the perfect time to take out the trash...

Death penalty is an option in Florida.

It's what holding up the Parkland killer's trial- he has offered to plead guilty if he gets life, the county is aiming for death.
I would like them both to get death.

However - "Life" would be a good deal from their perspective.

The glow stick thing is kind of weird….Who Sees a trail of glow sticks and thinks improvise explosive device. Wouldn’t the whole point be for it to be a surprise?

I keep flares and large glow sticks under my seat, the tow truck driver the other week gave me the hardest time about the glow sticks. I wasn’t in a wrecked vehicle. But a smashed vehicle and a flare can be a real bad idea. Especially if you put the flares down hill

This is why I answer the door with a loaded firearm as well as have them ready to go in many places, also why I dont live in MA anymore. Disgusting POS, vet or not, no free pass because you served, there are animals all around us that need to be put down!

The glow stick thing is kind of weird….Who Sees a trail of glow sticks and thinks improvise explosive device. Wouldn’t the whole point be for it to be a surprise?
A lot of people. If you’re trained for it. I didn’t bother reading the story, it always ends badly anyway. But sounds like he was playing a psyops (mind f***) game with them.

Leave 3-4 green chemlights outside leading to the front door and a red one at the door. He’s telling them ‘there’s a device here’, maybe in an effort to keep them from breaching the door and buying himself more time. Smart actually if he had no explosives but wanted to make them at least think twice about it.

Last edited:
I guess. But I’d use my IR glow sticks. That way I can see them but nobody else……I mean those little ones that you use as a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back at night. They’re like the size of the ones you stuff in those glow-in-the-dark golf balls…We use them for night fishing as well

I guess it’s just a thin line between playing mind games and being high on meth. I wouldn’t know about the latter
A lot of people. If you’re trained for it. I didn’t bother reading the story, it always ends badly anyway. But sounds like he was playing a psyops (mind f***) game with them.

Leave 3-4 green chemlights outside leading to the front door a red one at the door. He’s telling them ‘there’s a device here’, maybe in an effort to keep them from breaching the door and buying himself more time. Smart actually if he had no explosives but wanted to make them at least twice about it.

These things I couldn’t member what they’re called

Attachments

• 9DF2C1A5-8B44-488A-8F1E-4445C1BE3E76.jpeg
    9DF2C1A5-8B44-488A-8F1E-4445C1BE3E76.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 13
  • FD501B08-B5E6-4E64-9149-D7CB602599F9.jpeg
    FD501B08-B5E6-4E64-9149-D7CB602599F9.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 13
I guess. But I’d use my IR glow sticks. That way I can see them but nobody else……I mean those little ones that you use as a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back at night. They’re like the size of the ones you stuff in those glow-in-the-dark golf balls…We use them for night fishing as well

I guess it’s just a thin line between playing mind games and being high on meth. I wouldn’t know about the latter
I think you’re missing the point. He wanted them to see them. He’s been trained in the multiple uses and color coded symbols of chemlights. It appears to be a stalling tactic because he knew the people coming after him would also recognize the warning signs and call for a tactical pause to assess.

As a stalling tactic I guess it’s smart. I like how He’s supposedly a self-described survivalist. He must be doing something right because he still alive in a cell right now.

I consider myself a “comfortist” Meaning I’m not doing shit until the AC goes out

I like how He’s supposedly a self-described survivalist. He must be doing something right because he still alive in a cell right now.
Maybe. The guy got hit once, non life-threatening, and apparently said "F*k it, I'm giving up." It's times like these you wish he could "escape" from custody, never to be seen or heard from again. There have been some bad crimes, but this guy needs some work done with tourniquets and a deli slicer before having his name changed from Bryan to Bob.

Our penalties are not harsh enough. Places like San Francisco, as long as you steal less than $950 worth of merch, the policies say cops can't touch you. This guy took out four innocent lives. Death penalty is too quick and easy and not enough of a punishment. A life sentence at a Soviet style hard labor camp would be more beneficial to society. Or once the meth's gone, part out his build and save at least four lives by harvesting this guy's organs like the Chinese do with their prisoners.

Im also of the opinion that he should be put down. With that said, the retoric from the police chief and the media bashing isnt needed. This also sounds like a failure of friends and family to either help this vet with his ptsd or make a phone call. Yes, the individual also bears responsibility but we see the path he chose. Everbody wants to forgive, forget and rehabilitate everything else but as soon as a vet goes off the rails it's phucking lynching time. And i am tired of it.

Im also of the opinion that he should be put down. With that said, the retoric from the police chief and the media bashing isnt needed. This also sounds like a failure of friends and family to either help this vet with his ptsd or make a phone call. Yes, the individual also bears responsibility but we see the path he chose. Everbody wants to forgive, forget and rehabilitate everything else but as soon as a vet goes off the rails it's phucking lynching time. And i am tired of it.
Not everybody. And I don't care if you are a Vet or not. Do the crime; do the time (hopefully long and painful, if we're not allowed to shorten it).

All this talk of Glow Sticks, Halloween is just six weeks away. Time for the Jack Chop, the Glow Stick is free.

View: https://youtu.be/1L3dYN4b9pI

Everbody wants to forgive, forget and rehabilitate everything else but as soon as a vet goes off the rails it's phucking lynching time.

I think you're suffering from confirmation bias, there. Not a lot of love in Boston for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. They're not marching in the streets for Nikolas Cruz.

It’s like when the police referred to people as civilians…You’re a civilian police force buddy you’re no better than me.

It’s like when the police referred to people as civilians…You’re a civilian police force buddy you’re no better than me.
Not sure why people get so worked up about this. It’s not a slight on anybody. It’s not saying that you’re worthless or useless or that LE is better than. It’s just an easy way for both sides of the game (cops and robbers so to speak) to understand the separation of people who are neither LE or criminals.

Like, you’re just trying to go about your day back and forth to work or the mall or the bar or whatever it is.

You don’t officially work for either side; uniform or criminal. You’re not LE, not a CI or a paid snitch, not a player or running with any gangs/affiliations/crim orgs, both sides simply ID you as not being a threat. I’d take it as a compliment and be happy they saw me that way.

Not sure why people get so worked up about this. It’s not a slight on anybody. It’s not saying that you’re worthless or useless or that LE is better than. It’s just an easy way for both sides of the game (cops and robbers so to speak) to understand the separation of people who are neither LE or criminals.

Like, you’re just trying to go about your day back and forth to work or the mall or the bar or whatever it is.

You don’t officially work for either side; uniform or criminal. You’re not LE, not a CI or a paid snitch, not a player or running with any gangs/affiliations/crim orgs, both sides simply ID you as not being a threat. I’d take it as a compliment and be happy they saw me that way.
I think it is because that is a military term for non-military. Its a small one but still another weight on the "militarized police" side of the scale.

Back
Top Bottom