• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Florida non-resident CCW

Has anyone applied for a Florida non-res permit lately? I want to known how long it took. Also do you have to use their fingerprint card? I have an extra card from a background check in RI. I ordered their cards online but it said that it could take up to 10 business days. If anyone has an extra Florida card that they can part with please PM me. Thanks.

I did one around the end of Sept. 2014 and had it back before the end of Oct. I recall using their card, the clerk who did my prints said they always use their cards too. I doubt you'll wait 10 days for the packet. Good luck

Has anyone applied for a Florida non-res permit lately? I want to known how long it took. Also do you have to use their fingerprint card? I have an extra card from a background check in RI. I ordered their cards online but it said that it could take up to 10 business days. If anyone has an extra Florida card that they can part with please PM me. Thanks.

I got mine about 8 months ago, it took about 12 weeks to receive the LTC from FL. once I sent in my application.
It was pretty straight forward no issues, I did use their card. The packet came from them pretty quickly in the mail.

Has anyone just applied "in person" while there? I'm going to be in FL soon and thought about just applying there if it wasn't too big of a deal. Also can you do it at any local PD?

FL insists that you use their print cards only. They won't accept the standard FBI 10-print cards.

They will also take electronic print cards. I don't know where to get that done around here, but my plan is to go to the Tampa office for electronic prints, photo, and application review next week. One stop shopping so to speak. Web site says lead time is about 90 days if you go to a regional center.

Is this a newer policy? I went to Boston Police, paid $5.00 and got "officially stamped" set of fingerprints to send to Florida. That was in 2008.

I recall reading where some folks got their print cards bounced back because they weren't on the official FL cards. I don't recall what year this happened. I don't see any reason why the standard FBI 10-print card wouldn't be acceptable and perhaps they have changed policy once they went to the electronic prints.

Florida said the received my application on 1/28 (about a week after I sent it). I received confirmation that the license was issued on 3/16. It was definitely worth it, I can carry in many states now. I'm off to Florida soon. [smile]

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/7444/118465/ReciprocityList.pdf

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Capture%202_1.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone just applied "in person" while there? I'm going to be in FL soon and thought about just applying there if it wasn't too big of a deal. Also can you do it at any local PD?

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my print card, going to local PD for prints, then sending it to FLA. Got property in Royal Palm I visit every 8 weeks or so. Recommend to anyone going to the West Palm area check out Shoot Straight. Its really a friendly clean place with its own range.

If you intend on carrying in Florida, pay close attention to the Florida laws that you certified having become familiar with. Among other things, Florida is harsh about open carrying or inadvertantly display.

Went down to the Brooksville/ Spring Hill area on vacation to see relatives. Planned on using my NH resident license while I was there; unfortunately, we were running late leaving, and I didn't want to miss the flight, so I ended up leaving it at home. Went to the Hernando Co. courthouse with the required documents (NRA training certificate, that I got in MA). Reading the requirements, it seemed like the certificate was missing one piece of info, so I included my DD-214 (only National Guard, with no active time, so not eligible for Vet preference processing). I needed a ride (didn't rent a car) from a relative, so I didn't book an appointment in advance. I called on a Monday, and was told that they don't do same day appointments, but I could try as a walk-in. Made an appointment for Tuesday (just in case) and then went there to try as a walk-in (on Monday). I was second in line. 5 minute wait, 5-10 minutes to fill out the application on the computer and submit it. A couple of minutes to wait for a photo (taken there) and fingerprints. Maybe 30 minutes tops. Paid them (had cash, but used a C/C and got a receipt). $119 (and 2.5%). (County tax collectors can charge a fee). 2 weeks later (14 days) it was in our mailbox back home. Don't know how I got lucky with it being so fast, but as compared to others above I'm guessing it's because everything was submitted "electronically". Just my .02 (Originally posted on this site on May 16th, 2018)

When I got mine a year or so ago I used their card AND one from my local PD. I remember something about where the name of the agency is supposed to be printed being important. My theory was that I'd send both, just in case "theirs" was smudged for some reason. Almost like "processing" meant "it's in the envelope waiting for the mailman".

If you're able, you can go to "Identgo" and have them submitted electronically, but I'm not sure if they're certified in MA yet, they weren't when I did mine. And now with the social distancing crap...

Anyway, as I recall, mine took somewhere around 6 weeks or so. No apparent activity on their website until it said "processing" or something similar, and then I had it almost instantly.

And as others have said, read their laws!

If you intend on carrying in Florida, pay close attention to the Florida laws that you certified having become familiar with. Among other things, Florida is harsh about open carrying or inadvertantly display.
So act like you’re home in ma$$hole

Back
Top Bottom