Florida Girl Travels to Yellowstone National Park, Gets Launched by a Bison

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Only in Flo....wait, it happens to Floridians out of there too?

https://wtfflorida.com/news/madness/florida-girl-travels-to-yellowstone-national-park-gets-launched-by-a-bison/

Wyoming (WTFF) – A 9-year-old Florida girl was injured after a bison launched her into the air on Monday.

The unidentified girl was at the Old Faithful Geyser area of the park, standing less than 10 feet away from the bull bison before the animal charged, the National Park Service said in a press release Tuesday. (NBC)

Hailey Dayton filmed the incident, and told NBC News on Wednesday, “My brother and I were looking at the hot springs, and we saw a bunch of people running down the path to the bridge. We saw through the trees some people petting the bison, super close.”

The group of 50 or 60 people gathered near the bison before “causing the bison to charge,” the park service stated. Guests are told to always stay at least 25 yards from bison, elk, deer and moose.

“Because it was agitated by all the people and noise, it just kind of attacked,” Dayton said. “After that, everyone was screaming. There were a bunch of kids crying.”

Two people in the video, presumably the girl’s parents, can be seen running away as the bison charges.

Screenshot of the video
The park service said in a statement that the girl was “assessed and treated by park emergency medical providers, and later taken to and released from the Old Faithful Clinic.” The extent of her injuries are unknown at this point.

The incident’s under investigation and no citations were issued.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sounds like the little girl is OK. The video gets cut off so I wonder what happened after she got thrown in the air. Maybe bystanders or parents ran back to distract the Bison. Breaks my heart to see kids put in tough spots by adults. I hope I never do this to my kid.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago, we were coming through Crawford Notch when we saw a bunch of cars pulled off the side of the road. We stopped to see what it was, and it was a moose: a big ol' cow. Thing is, a lot of the sightseers - including a large group of Asian tourists - were out of their cars, and getting mighty close to her. "This won't end well" - got back in the car and took off.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A few years ago, we were coming through Crawford Notch when we saw a bunch of cars pulled off the side of the road. We stopped to see what it was, and it was a moose: a big ol' cow. Thing is, a lot of the sightseers - including a large group of Asian tourists - were out of their cars, and getting mighty close to her. "This won't end well" - got back in the car and took off.
I always think the same thing when i see a bear up in the Bartlett area and people trying to get close for pictures.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always think the same thing when i see a bear up in the Bartlett area and people trying to get close for pictures.
I'm actually more afraid of moose than bears. Moose are big and very skittish.

I've had three bear encounters on the bike in the woods: two at Kingdom Trails and one at Great Glen. Only one of the three was concerning, and that one involved mama and two cubs.

scatter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Quite stupid. But not as stupid as the people that regularly kill themselves in Yellowstone by taking a dip in the 200 degree acidic hot springs. Stupid should hurt, but it probably shouldn't hurt THAT bad.

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Too many people too close to the animal. Should have charged the guy with the camera who was well within the animals personal space. I would argue that the guy with the camera is probably what triggered the animal. Play stupid games....

scatter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

I've had three bear encounters on the bike in the woods: two at Kingdom Trails and one at Great Glen. Only one of the three was concerning, and that one involved mama and two cubs.
We probably see a black bear around our house 2 or 3 times a week in the summer. They usually have no desire to be close to a human. But a couple of times we have wandered out onto the deck when mama was down below with a cub. You do not want mama bear to see you when she's with her cubs. Not even if you're on a deck 10 feet above her. She charged and started climbing the deck posts (we didn't install any stairs on the deck because bears). We made a rapid retreat into the house. I was going to try a tactical roll through the door, but my wife was in the way and I wasn't wearing my battle belt at the time, so it wouldn't have had the effect I was looking for.

Last edited:

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I grew up in the suburbs, with woods all around me. Spent my childhood roaming the woods, camping out with my friends, sometimes alone. Never with adult supervision. We knew not to approach animals, it wasn't something we had to be told. It fell into the same category as building fires in fire rings, not in open fields with the wind blowing, and not crossing fast flowing streams if you can't see the bottom. You know - just common sense...

It seems as though there's a large number of people who have never seen animals other than in a zoo, on TV or on a computer screen - and don't realize that non-domesticated animals are wild. They can be dangerous when you get into their space.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We probably see a black bear around our house 2 or 3 times a week in the summer. They usually have no desire to be close to a human. But a couple of times we have wandered out onto the deck when mama was down below with a cub. You do not want mama bear to see you when she's with her cubs. Not even if you're on a deck 10 feet above her. She charged and started climbing the deck posts (we didn't install any stairs on the deck because bears). We made a rapid retreat into the house. I was going to try a tactical roll through the door, but my wife was in the way and I wasn't wearing my battle belt at the time, so it wouldn't have had the effect I was looking for.
In my case, I was coming around a corner on East Branch. I saw them and stopped, and did the "Hey Bear!" noisemaking thing. The two cubs scampered off. Mama just stood there. I made more noise. Mama continued to stand there. She didn't charge, or even move closer to me. I started backing away slowly, with one hand on the safety clip on the bear spray. When I was back around the corner, hightailed it back up to VAST and out (and shower and breakfast).

My Pre-NEMBAfest Thursday Sunrise Ride Bear Encounters (the other one was likewise the Thursday morning before the festival) became lore among festival staff, to the point I'm now asked if I went out to see my bear yet.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

My only issue is my dawg likes to roam around the blackberry patches. I now keep him leashed up there if the berries or apples are ripe. My sister has a place off of river rd in Bartlett and there is an old orchard that the bears love.

bdb

NES Member
Rating - 97.2%
69   2   0
My one trip through Yellowstone was great, amazing place. It was unbelievable how stupid people are and how beaten down the rangers are from constantly telling them don't approach the animals. We pulled up on a pile of cars on the side of the road and as we are driving by I see this little hill with 2 huge bull elk on it. One bedded one standing. People are crowded 360 degrees around them snapping photo's all at less than 20 yards. I was hoping those bulls had enough and charged out but we drove off and didn't see the ending. I can always hope though.

Radtekk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
I grew up in the suburbs, with woods all around me. Spent my childhood roaming the woods, camping out with my friends, sometimes alone. Never with adult supervision. We knew not to approach animals, it wasn't something we had to be told. It fell into the same category as building fires in fire rings, not in open fields with the wind blowing, and not crossing fast flowing streams if you can't see the bottom. You know - just common sense...

It seems as though there's a large number of people who have never seen animals other than in a zoo, on TV or on a computer screen - and don't realize that non-domesticated animals are wild. They can be dangerous when you get into their space.
In my BEST Beavis and Butthead voice.... "Heh heh, heh, common sense, he said common sense, heh heh, heh..."

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I cannot imagine running off, leaving my child to be mauled or whatever by a wild animal.

Chances are I'd be thrown too, but at the very least that bison would have been very confused by the tiny (compared to itself), two legged creature running up to it and kicking and punching it.

(chances are we wouldn't have been dumb enough to get that CLOSE to the damned beastie)

Top Bottom