Florida backyard gun ranges - no backstop needed

Under Florida Statute 790, gun control is solely under state, not local, jurisdiction. The only state restriction on recreational shooting on private residential property is that the bullets cannot fly over a paved public road or an occupied dwelling, and that shots cannot be "reckless or negligent."

Although nothing in the state law specifically required him to try to block errant bullets, Varrieur mounted his target on a 7 X 7-foot backstop which he installed against a 12-foot-tall shed. When he fires his weapon, Varrieur is shooting in the direction of a canal used by boaters to reach open water.

Varrieur said he stations his wife and father on the edge of the canal to warn him if a boat is coming. And he said he informs the sheriff's department of when he will be shooting.

Wow I hope he is a good shot! [mg]

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/06/us-usa-florida-gunranges-idUSBREA251JV20140306

Under Florida Statute 790, gun control is solely under state, not local, jurisdiction. The only state restriction on recreational shooting on private residential property is that the bullets cannot fly over a paved public road or an occupied dwelling, and that shots cannot be "reckless or negligent."

Although nothing in the state law specifically required him to try to block errant bullets, Varrieur mounted his target on a 7 X 7-foot backstop which he installed against a 12-foot-tall shed. When he fires his weapon, Varrieur is shooting in the direction of a canal used by boaters to reach open water.

Varrieur said he stations his wife and father on the edge of the canal to warn him if a boat is coming. And he said he informs the sheriff's department of when he will be shooting.

Wow I hope he is a good shot! [mg]

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/06/us-usa-florida-gunranges-idUSBREA251JV20140306

His is wife and father also stand behind the target with a butterfly net to catch any errant shots.

he has a 7x7' backstop with a 12' shed around it. if he's putting holes in his shed, i think he'll notice. and more importantly i think he'll want to control his shots so he doesn't put holes in his shed.

no holes in shed + backstop = no problem.

If the backstop is proper for the caliber what is the issue?
A 10 yard shooting distance would be safe on a 7' backstop with up to 5 degrees of pointing error (2.6' radius) from the center of the backstop.

If a neighbor complains, investigate and determine if there is anything reckless or negligent then do something

Maybe if they made it so we could purchase suppressors without a excessive wait time and exorbitant tax for a piece of pipe the neighbors wouldn't complain

Back
Top Bottom