FLIR ThermoSight Pro PTS233 19mm under $2,000

MGnoob

NES Life Member
NES Member
Thermal optic for under $2,000!
What i like about it is not to bulky.

There is a thread with videos on Ar15.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/4...ro-PTS233-19mm--New-Video-8-8-17-.html&page=1

I was going to order from this vender seems to be a great guy, should have taken my money on the spot. i ordered from optics planet for like $1930 shipped

Ill let you know what i think of the unit when it shows up.

Pretty good price point for what you're getting. They have a 640 version coming out later too. Please post some video once you've had a chance to try it.

I wanted to wait for the 640 but itll cost more than 50% more than the unit available now.
Where ill be using it itll be so thick its not like i need crazy range.

I have to get a pellet gun, ive got a couple things around the house i want to "dissapear"
This would probably make an excellent spotting scope for paintball/airsoft....almost like cheating.

Ill give an honest review and if i dont like it ill return it and buy a better one.....for the price i need to see the unit for myself

Pixels, microns, and frame rate all contribute to usability -- this FLIR is pretty good on all factors.

Youtuber claims this is all factory default settings, in Texas heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to down optics planet they just price matched a OTAL-A. I didnt want to spend anywhere near msrp on it because for alittle more i could get an ir laser and illuminator but none of which will help me with my new thermal and its just alot of bulk i dont want on my hunting rifle/mp5.

I just kinda wanted a co aligned visible/ir laser for pointing targets to people with NV, but its not worth worring about

Last edited:
Heres another one with slightly better specs, less features, sligtly more bulky for
$1,662.32
from optics planet

The Pulsar Core 384 RXQ30V 1.6-6.4X

Its nice to see these entry lvl models available

How much better is 50Hz versus 30Hz?

Heres another one with slightly better specs, less features, sligtly more bulky for $1,662.32 from optics planet
The Pulsar Core 384 RXQ30V 1.6-6.4X Its nice to see these entry lvl models available
Pulsar has a range of models at 384x288/17μm/50Hz with fixed optical zoom, the entry-level limits you to fixed focus, no video recording features, and the only display mode is green-on-black. Not bad at that price point.

I wonder how much of an advantage 50Hz is over the more common 30Hz thermal scopes?

At this point with no experience, i dont find the 50 hz important.
For a few hundred more the feature that matter to me are Bluetooth, the ability to have 3 different zero presets for use on different weapons, a focus adjustment...i guess the internal video is nice but not a real requirement for me. There are also alot more thermal modes on the flir and only 3 on the pulsar.

I dont regret my choice, just showing another great entry lvl pricepoint. Im not saying 1600 is pocket money.but there is a reason ive never owned my own NV/thermal until now.

The flir website says it had bluetooth, but there is a debate if it really does and what its capibilies might be.

I also hate the green on black display of the pulsar so much i almost wouldn't even consider it

Edit
The flir does have Bluetooth, itll be shipping in about 2 weeks

Last edited:
So there is some delay in the roll out of the thermal, aparently i fell for another pre order nightmare.

Anyway....
I ordered a steiner dbal-a3, and dbal-d2, and a gen3 PVS-7 night vision.

I still have a steiner otal-a on backorder and the pts233 thermal optic on pre order.

So thats how ill setup the two rifles.
Thermal and dbal-a3 on one.
Head mounted pvs-7, eotech exps3, dbal-d2 on the other.
If I'm by myself ill use the thermal rifle and the NV headset while i look for a pvs-14 to use as a dedicated weapons sight.

"Looking for"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PVS-14-Gen3...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

Edit
I ended up going with a new pvs-14... the used market on pvs14s in a pricerange that makes sense seem to be below my standards of whats acceptable.
Guess what? 2 month lead time on white phosphor. Should be worth the wait.

cache_320_320_0_100_80_16777215_MDH-4351.jpg

Last edited:
I received more mail today...its still a work in process. I sent back the D2, for a second A3.
20171010_180706.jpg
The top one is just waiting for the correct pressure switch, and a wilcox eotech magnifier flip to side mount. I decided i didnt want the larue twist mount
The bottem one is waiting for its flashlight, correct pressure switch and the PTS233 thermal.

I used to almost make fun of people with this much crap on their guns, but for night time it seems to serve a purpose

Last edited:
Just to end this thread i cancled my order for the pts233..the next day some supposedly shipped.
I ended up with a gen3 pvs7, and two film less white phosphor pv3 14s.... fo aiming i have 2 dbal-a3s and a nv compatible eotech......surefire scout flashlights on both.

Im going to wait 6 to 18 months and buy a thermal monocular...my main concern with the expensive thermals was poor waterproof rating and glitchyy software.

Other than a 1 time eotech purchase and airsoft quaIity sites this is my real first optics purchase..

You all welcome to try the stuff at the NH shoots.

In a few months ill post some video....

Interesting, hopefully you can get some vids up here as I'm curious how you ended up with what you did.

Just to throw it out there, the pts223s are out and are "ok" for the money..look like crap but are useful extremely close....where as gen 3 plus can see alot father but still hard to detect... its all covered on ar15.com.

I ended up with a used IR patrol m300w... its not everything i had hoped but saved me from spending many times more.the stuff that will be coming out will be amazing, but pricing on the latest and greatest may make settling for what i got far more practical.. and by settling i mean 640 core.

I'll be in the equipment thread after the holidays. Fedex home delivery really sucks lately.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom