• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

flashlights, Maglight and MiniMaglight upgrades

After reading about that Borealis flashlight, I was wondering whether there is something better than my Maglight 2D, 2C or 2AA or 2AAA or the $10 1Million Candlepower lights. Don't get me wrong, the Borealis and related lights look like a great deal for the money, but they are a lot of money.

So, I saw a Xenon bulb at Home Depot, and it seemed to brighten things up a bit. Now I see this TLE-5 Ministar and am wondering if doing something like this might make sense, or would it be better/easier/CHEAPER to just buy a new purpose-built LED flashlight. And if so, which? And, are LED lights (at least in the small ones) better? I get the gut feeling that the LED is OK for some things, but not long distance or huge amounts of light.

What do others out there think? I'm not going to go out and spend over $50 for a flashlight, so all the Surefire, Streamlight, and other high end flashlight people can save some typing. This is for backyard use, camping, boating, and car; not some imagined "tactical" use. Maybe some night hunting for coyote. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have had excellent results with the new 3AA Mag LED and 3D Mag LED about $20 and $33 respectively, batteries included. They are bright, solid, and well built.

I converted my minimag to LED not to long ago for about $10. You are right about losing distance but the LED is a little brighter at close range. The battery life has definitely improved also. For at home use I like it much better over the standard lamp. I plan on getting a kit for my 2D soon.

Every year right before Christmas Home Depot has a sale on 2,3,4,and 5 D Mag Lights. I've got 7 or 8 of them that I paid $10 for at that sale. For the money I think they are hard to beat. Wal-Mart has the little "Brinkmann" LED lights that are worth looking into.

Coyote, thanks for posting this. I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing one of these units. Looks pretty good from the manufacturer's propaganda.

Wal-Mart has the little "Brinkmann" LED lights that are worth looking into.
For $20, Walmart has Brinkmann "tactical" lights - uses a Xenon bulb and rivals the Surefire-type lights for brightness. I use it and my converted mini-Maglight for work. Wish the Brinkmann would fit in my Nite-Ize belt holder, though...

I just picked up one of the 2AA 3 watt LED Minimag flashlight.

HOLY MOLY, the difference from one of the 2AA minimaglite conversions is amazing.

I also picked up some LED light from Target, I don't remember the make, but it's silver and one of those lensed LEDs. It's more of a spot light than a washed light... And it works good for distance and brightness... I think that I paid like 7 bucks for it on sale one time.

I like the thought of changing my 2AA Mini-Mag lights to a brighter longer lasting light. The problem I have with the conversion is cost.

I use my 2AA Mini-Mags for hunting. So to change all three of the Mini-Mag lights that I carry over to the new brighter longer lasting light I’d have to order six of the conversion units. That would a bit to expensive for me.

But for around the back yard these conversions look pretty good.

Respectfully,

jkelly

HOLY MOLY, the difference from one of the 2AA minimaglite conversions is amazing.

Is this the difference from the stock to an LED? Or from one LED to a different one? What is the piece you are happy with, how much, and where did you get it? Thanks.

I also picked up some LED light from Target, I don't remember the make, but it's silver and one of those lensed LEDs. It's more of a spot light than a washed light... And it works good for distance and brightness... I think that I paid like 7 bucks for it on sale one time.

I saw one at an army/navy surplus store. Probably some cheap Chinese stuff, but it still may be a good deal...

You mean that the Mini Maglight that comes with the LEDs is brighter than the Nite-Ize conversion kit? Interesting... I may have to stop at Target. Got a $20 gift card I've been wanting to use on something.

Yea, that 3 watt LED already out of the box is REALLY bright. But I think that the conversion is only 1.5 watts, and that would explain why the other would be double the brightness...

I want to say that the one that I got at Target Coyote was called Rock River. It's a really good light.. And it will shine a perfect circle of light all the way across my basement.. Which is a good 30-40 feet. I've been able to spot my fence out the back window... I like it, it's a good light for the price. I think that it's about 19 bucks when it's not on sale.

After reading about that Borealis flashlight, I was wondering whether there is something better than my Maglight 2D, 2C or 2AA or 2AAA or the $10 1Million Candlepower lights. Don't get me wrong, the Borealis and related lights look like a great deal for the money, but they are a lot of money.

You get what you pay for- and good flashlights that withstand abuse
and are bright, are rarely "cheap".

I put some improved bulbs in my maglights, (I think mag even sells
them) but they don't hold a candle to my Surefire C2 Centurion, even
with the 60 lumen bulb installed. I can't complain about the
maglights, though, they work fine... I keep one big one at home and
a smaller 3 cell job in the car as a trouble light. It always works when
I ask it to.

-Mike

Stopped at Target and bought the new LED AA Maglight - WOW! What a difference between that and the Nite-Ize module in my old AA Maglight. Like two to one!

My only complaint is that it's about 3/4" taller and doesn't fit in my Nite-Ize leatherman/maglight holster. Gotta order a new one now. [frown]

OK, to clear this up, the AA Maglight LED light (upgrade or bought that way?) one is brighter than the other one?

How does it compare to the non-LED AA Maglight?

The Mini Maglight LED AA, purchased from MAG with a single LED, is 3/4" longer than a standard incandescent Krypton-bulb AA Maglight. It is about twice as bright as the Nite-Ize three-LED upgrade module (which fits in a standard AA Maglight. And there IS no comparison between the LED and non-LED - the LED just blows them all away. Even the Nite-Ize LED upgrade is brighter than the Krypton-bulb Maglight.

My biggest complaint is that it's extra length means it won't fit in all the flap-top holsters out there already that are designed for the non-LED Maglight AA. [angry]

Oh, yeah, and the Maglight LED's beam can be focused; the Nite-Ize's LED upgrade cannot.

Last edited:
Thank you. As far as brightness, is the range as good? I know it is only an AA, but sometimes a small one you can hold in your teeth and also use to find things when, for example, doing electrical work in an attic, comes in very handy. Same with working under a car at night.

I was spotlighting the trees around my house with it last night...

Put it this way. Although I only need about 4-5 feet range at work, and even though I have to use the holster that came with it and can't carry all the stuff the way I'm used to, I'm carrying the new Maglight LED AA instead of my conversion one.

MAG did an awesome job of engineering here.

If this isn't necessarily a "tactical" light, or something you're going to have in your pocket at all times, I'd stick to the million+ candlepower lights. They're cheap enough, and give off great light for the purposes of "backyard" and "camping" or coyote hunting!

Looks like a lot of you guys are using regular Mag lites or the AA Mags. There are so many newer, better lights out there. The drop in LED modules (not the NIte Ize) are great to keep the Mags up to date and still have something club-like. The Mag drop ins are pretty good. There are other, better ones but you pay $50 or more just for the module.

There just are not too many in-store lights that are that good nowadays. The technology has greatly surpassed what WalMart, Target, Home Depot and even guys like Dicks Sporting carries in stock.

For those that are truly interested take a look at candlepowerforums.com. Totally out of control for flashlight information.

I second the recommendation on the Brinkman Maxfire. I have a couple and they rival the Surefire G2. Take CR123 batteries though and some find that inconvenient (but best for light output) because you have to order them in bulk online for them to be economical. The Dorcy Super 1 Watt LED is also a nice light sold in stores (also CR123)

There is currently a wave of LEDs coming out of the far east that will output 5-6 times the light of any Mag with less battery consumption and in a pocketable size. You can get the same blinding light as the best Surefires in a 3" pocketable/keychain light.

Also, a great source for Surefire-like, decent quality lights is dealextreme.com. A ton of great lights can be had for under $30. They are overseas so the shipping takes a couple of weeks but they are reputable.

I am surprised there is not more talk of flashlights on this forum - I never CCW without a competent light as well.

-Derek

Well, as we're here talking about just backyard lights that are good for under 30 bucks... I'll check out dealextreme.com.

When camping and such, I don't want a 45 min runtime 120 lum light. I'm looking for a good light, that's pretty inexpensive that will run several or more hours on the batteries that are in there...

CCW requirements are different than general outdoor use.

And, it seems that the 15 dollar 2AA 3w LED maglite is a pretty good light for that. It's bright enough to light up a campsite. It's small and easy to hold. And, it will run longer than I would need it on a weekend camping trip on just those two AA batteries.

Actually, you don't have to order them... You can get the light upgrade at Walmart for about 5 bucks each.---C-pher

And, it seems that the 15 dollar 2AA 3w LED maglite is a pretty good light for that.---C-pher

So C-pher, am I correct in thinking that Wal-Mart has a 5 dollar upgrade for the 2AA Mini-Mag light that will change them to 3W LED type lights? If so I’m guessing there is only a single 3W LED in each upgrade package, am I correct?

Does this upgrade change the Mini-Mag light’s OAL?

This sounds like a nice $10 per light upgrade.

Thanks for your help!

Respectfully,

jkelly

The Mini Maglight LED AA, purchased from MAG with a single LED, is 3/4" longer than a standard incandescent Krypton-bulb AA Maglight. It is about twice as bright as the Nite-Ize three-LED upgrade module (which fits in a standard AA Maglight. And there IS no comparison between the LED and non-LED - the LED just blows them all away. Even the Nite-Ize LED upgrade is brighter than the Krypton-bulb Maglight.
Oh, yeah, and the Maglight LED's beam can be focused; the Nite-Ize's LED upgrade cannot.

So am I correct in thinking that Wal-Mart has a 5 dollar upgrade for the 2AA Mini-Mag light that will change them to 3W LED type lights? If so I’m guessing there is only a single 3W LED in each upgrade package, am I correct?
You are not. Re-read my post above.

Walmart has the Nite-Ize brand upgrade, and it has 3 LEDs in it. The Mag LED AA has a single LED and is about twice as bright as the Nite-Ize upgrade; I have both and have compared them side to side.

Does this upgrade change the Mini-Mag light’s OAL?
No. The Nite-Ize upgrade replaces the light and the reflector only. The case stays the same.

This sounds like a nice $10 per light upgrade.
It is, but the new Maglight LED AA is nicer.

...There just are not too many in-store lights that are that good nowadays. The technology has greatly surpassed what WalMart, Target, Home Depot and even guys like Dicks Sporting carries in stock.

Any flashlight, even a Maglight with slightly old batteries is better than the basic tin tube plastic head flashlight we had in the 70's or maybe even 80's. I think you should have said "The price has greatly surpassed what WalMart, Target, Home Depot and even guys like Dicks Sporting could ever possibly sell.

Well, as we're here talking about just backyard lights that are good for under 30 bucks... ... I'm looking for a good light, that's pretty inexpensive that will run several or more hours on the batteries that are in there...

Plus, when in the lakes region, mountains, or at the beach, not many places to plug in a charger, yet you can buy D cell batteries most anywhere.

I still have a flashlight next to the bed that takes one of those lantern batteries with the springs on top.

Back
Top Bottom