Flashlights for self defense

FLASHLIGHTS FOR SELF DEFENSE

As strange as it sounds, some flashlights are used for self defense quite often in daily life.
Sometimes by professionals Police Officers in a way to avoid using deadly force in confrontations with suspects, and other times by civilians that are not permitted to carry lethal weapons.

In the US we have it quite good in that we are allowed to carry short knives and some others implements but in the majority of Europe such activities are illegal or highly frowned upon by the authorities.

If you defend yourself with a baseball bat even in your own home in certain countries you have to give reason for why you have such an implement with you.

One of my flashlights that I promote in the States as the Search and Rescue 852 lumens to use in emergency vehicles such as ambulances, fire trucks, helicopters etc. because is too heavy and too long to be easily portable (it is based on the Maglite 4 D). I have found appreciative customers in the European market to be used as self defense tool by civilians that go out for a stroll or to walk the dog situations.

Other lights use others means of incorporating defense mechanisms in their construction. I am thinking now about the ARES Defense Companion, a Maglite with 3 cells that incorporates a shotgun of 410 gauge (only one picture is circulating in the Internet and I think is not in production) or the Tiger Light that incorporates a pepper spray canister, or the several models of Surefire that come with crenellated bezels (one example is the popular E2D executive Defender).

Surefire was the first (to my knowledge) at popularizing the crenellated bezel and the SureFire Institute offers a class in basic defensive tactics called “The power of Light” which is open to all qualified civilians as well as law enforcement professionals .
The course is taught by certified instructor Steve Tarani (shown below delivering a carotid strike).

SteveTarani.jpg

My own MAG 951 II or the EXP 852 can be had with the optional heavy stainless steel crenellated bezel that I offer in a limited production run.
Such bezels add 3 ounces to the weight of the head and the bezel even that is not actually sharp will be a good imitation of the broken beer bottle.
I don’t think that an aggressor, if he is in his right mind, will confront such a weapon that first will blind him with 951 lumens and then is ready to rearrange his facial features.

cbezel.jpg

Some handy accessories have been produced to increase the defensive use of the Maglite. I am thinking of a quality item made with great care and good materials called the Piggy Back; it will keep a container of Pepper spray quite handy by screwing the accessory to the end of the MAG tail-cap.

pgbk_4.jpg

Or from the same company the accessory tail-cap with carbide insert capable of breaking automotive glass.

pgbk_1.jpg

My own Quick Detach Swivel, when used only with the nub for the lanyard, can be very hard on skulls and noses.

swivelmag.jpg

This MAG 951 sports the heavy 3 inch head (the head is now out of production), more resembling a medieval mace. This is also a fantastic throw monster reaching over several hundred yards.

bigandflash.jpg

I have in my long association with the flashlight Industry seen a few models which spray OC from the front of the lens, flashlight that also incorporate a screaming siren, flashlights that incorporate a stun gun and others weird contraptions all of them gone from the market now.

What seems to prevail is just a good weight reliable flashlight that can be used as a baton or with the new crenellated bezels and the introduction of really powerful MEGA lights capable of blinding an assailant.

Best regards,
Black bear

"and other times by civilians that are not permitted to carry lethal weapons."

anything,including nothing(bare hands) are/is a lethal weapon..this kind of statement perpetuates the myth that guns are lethal by nature..

believe me,im far more deadly with a bic pen at 3 feet than a flashlight or a pistol..

Last edited:
SnakeEye said:
"and other times by civilians that are not permitted to carry lethal weapons."

anything,including nothing(bare hands) are/is a lethal weapon..this kind of statement perpetuates the myth that guns are lethal by nature..

believe me,im far more deadly with a bic pen at 3 feet than a flashlight or a pistol..
Would that be a Bic "Click" or the Bic "Banana"?

those are pretty cool. But it's not long now till they're either outlawed or you have to take a 14 hour course in the proper use of a flashlight and then be registered right next to sexual offenders if you want to own one.

SiameseRat said:
those are pretty cool. But it's not long now till they're either outlawed or you have to take a 14 hour course in the proper use of a flashlight and then be registered right next to sexual offenders if you want to own one.

icon_2up%20(6).gif
Mass :p
i cant wait to sign up for my Ball Point Pen Concealed Carry Course :)

black bear 84 said:
My own MAG 951 II or the EXP 852 can be had with the optional heavy stainless steel crenellated bezel that I offer in a limited production run.
Such bezels add 3 ounces to the weight of the head and the bezel even that is not actually sharp will be a good imitation of the broken beer bottle.
I don’t think that an aggressor, if he is in his right mind, will confront such a weapon that first will blind him with 951 lumens and then is ready to rearrange his facial features.

Do you offer anything like that for the Mini Maglite?

I like that 3" flashlight head. Anything like that still available?

What's a decent D cell flashlight without dropping a fortune? This would be for camping/boating/backyard type general usage.

Thanks.

Coyote33 said:
I like that 3" flashlight head. Anything like that still available?

What's a decent D cell flashlight without dropping a fortune? This would be for camping/boating/backyard type general usage.

Thanks.

No, I am sorry the BIG heads are out of print, the best I can do is show you another picture.

2headsfront.jpg

Hmm, you asked the wrong guy, I modify any 3 D that I come across!!
But the best over the counter is the Magcharger (from Maglite) it will ouput close to 200 lumens, it will have great throw and good side spill and will be free to run (as is rechargeable)
It compares with a regular Maglite 3 D that have only 39 lumens when the batteries are fresh and for the first hour before it drop to 20 lumens.

I have two of the Magchargers from before I started to modify the 3D into a 951 lumens rechargeable flashlight, and I like them very much.
However, I can modify a little Maglite 2 C to output 181 lumens and use rechargeable batteries, the little ligh (The Bear Cub) weights 13 oz. and is 9 inches long while the Magcharger is 12 1/2 inches long and one pound 13 oz.
I found the little guy more convinient to carry around and they also fit my glove compartment, while the Magcharger have to sleep in the floor of the car under the seat.

Here is a picture of the Magcharger next to the Bear Cub.

bearcubnmagcharger.jpg

Of the police rechargeable flashlights that hover around 200 to 250 lumens (Stingers, Tiger Lights) my opinion is that the Magcharger is the best.

black bear

In the meanwhile Surefire is selling the L-6 Porcupine like hot cakes and for $600.00 a pop.

It have a gorgeous body that is a poem of high class machinery.

SurefireL6P.jpg

L6Porcupinesmall.jpg

Back
Top Bottom