• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

flash hider ques?

Is a muzzle brake the same thing as a flash hider? A rifle I plan to buy has one on it, will I have to take it off to bring it into MA I already have to pin the folding stock and remove the bayo lug.

Sounds like an AK type rifle. I don't think AKs ever had flash hiders even though some places advertise them as having one, its usually a muzzle brake.
As far as I know... pin the stock, lightly dremel the bayonet lug, and put a drop of solder where the brake attaches to make it a permanent set up and you should be good to go.

Yes, your correct it is a ak style rifle. I guess now I just have to find someone to do the work I cant get the rifle from the dealer until all the work is done.

No, they're two entirely different muzzle devices that perform different functions.There might be some muzzle brakes that reduce muzzle flash to some small degree, but even if the flash reduction is minuscule, it would still be considered a flash suppressor.

Usually (again, there might be exceptions), a flash suppressor will have a large diameter opening and/or have lengthwise slots cut into it. A muzzle brake will have an opening the same diameter as the caliber of the rifle and a series of holes drilled lengthwise into it...

Flash suppressor...

fs.jpg

Muzzle brake...

mb.jpg

As Supermoto mentioned, you could have a muzzle cap permanently attached instead. What you cannot have is any exposed threads.

Sounds like an AK type rifle. I don't think AKs ever had flash hiders even though some places advertise them as having one, its usually a muzzle brake.
As far as I know... pin the stock, lightly dremel the bayonet lug, and put a drop of solder where the brake attaches to make it a permanent set up and you should be good to go.

A drop of solder isn't enough. It has to be silver soldered at least 1/2 the circumference of the barrel and have a melt point of 1,100 degrees or greater, or be tack welded at 4 equidistant spots.

Another alternative is the blind pin and solder/weld method.

For the bayonet lug, at a minimum the 'ears'/'tabs' need to be ground off so that a bayonet cannot be affixed and locked in place. The reverse can be done by welding in/filling the groove in the lug then file it smooth.

Is a muzzle brake the same thing as a flash hider? A rifle I plan to buy has one on it, will I have to take it off to bring it into MA I already have to pin the folding stock and remove the bayo lug.

Is this a pre-ban rifle? If so, you don't have to do any neutering.

Flash Suppressor

What a F%^&ing joke. What the hell makes a flash suppressor so dangerous? I love when pols make laws on subjects they know nothing about.
IDIOTS!

Thanks for the info guys. I called Mike LaRocca already he does not want to do the job he feels that the rifle cant be shipped into MA so he rather pass on it.

Can an FFL get in trouble for having an AW if its not sold to the public as such?

What rifle is this exactly, the only AK with a FS I know of is on a Krink.

Can an FFL get in trouble for having an AW if its not sold to the public as such?

What rifle is this exactly, the only AK with a FS I know of is on a Krink.

IANAL but as far I know from what I have read they cannot get in trouble. They can stock them for LEO only sales to Police departments and the like or for internet sales on Gun Broker etc. Most either don't know the law that governs their livelihood or they just don't want to be bothered. Same goes for stocking non-compliant pistols.

What a F%^&ing joke. What the hell makes a flash suppressor so dangerous? I love when pols make laws on subjects they know nothing about.

It doesn't matter. All it does is allows the antis to define a type of gun and get it banned. It is a first step in their plan to ban them all. I this step, they found 'features' like "Grenade Launchers", "Bayonets", and "Flash Hiders" which they then imply as to being something that no honest person could ever want and lean on the emotional reaction to drive their ban.

Few people know that the "Grenade Launcher", and "Bayonet" are nothing more than tiny tabs of metal that allow those items to be attached and that few people ever do. An actual Grenade Launcher is classified as a Destructive Device and requires a federal tax stamp (and background check) to own. Most bayonets on modern rifles are pretty pathetic when compared to those of some early 20th century rifles. But remember, the goal isn't anything to do with safety, it is to create an emotional response to ban guns.

As for the "Flash Hider", it was argued that only criminals want this in the same way that only criminals would ever want a sound suppressor. Since the average person has no idea what the device actually does (A flash hider only reduces the muzzle flash like a sound suppressor only reduces the report) few question the arguments.

A person who supports the "Assault Weapon Ban" is either ignorant on the facts involved, or a person who has an agenda. Once the facts are known, nobody can tell the difference between a defined "Assault Weapon" and a "Hunting Rifle" of the same caliber by looking at the target.

IDIOTS!

Well, if they had to limit themselves to legislating about subjects with which they were actually conversant, 90% of our laws would never have been passed. [rolleyes]

Ken

Thanks for the info guys. I called Mike LaRocca already he does not want to do the job he feels that the rifle cant be shipped into MA so he rather pass on it.

If you keep running into this problem, you could just have it shipped to an NH/VT/ME gunsmith and have them do the mods, drive up to get it, and then when you come into MA with it (after doing the transfer) just file an FA-10. The whole thing might be easier that way.

-Mike

IANAL but as far I know from what I have read they cannot get in trouble. They can stock them for LEO only sales to Police departments and the like or for internet sales on Gun Broker etc. Most either don't know the law that governs their livelihood or they just don't want to be bothered. Same goes for stocking non-compliant pistols.

The law is pretty grey WRT FFL's having AW's, but I've heard from more than one person that if the intent is LE sales, it's fine.

The handgun compliance thing is a different ballgame- merely possessing a non compliant pistol, whether it's in the FFL's inventory or in the hands of joe gun owner, is not, in and of itself, a violation of law/regulation. (provided the proper licenses) This differs from the AW ban where "mere possession" of a post 94 AW/magazine is a felony.

-Mike

I have a well known AK47 gunsmith in Ft Myers FL do all my work. I ship him all the non compliant parts, he installs them and makes them MA compliant all along making fun of me for living here.......

Back
Top Bottom