• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FLAKES?

Ok, here's the deal. I am reloading .45 acp and here is the recipe I am using from a lyman book. 200 grain LSWC, unique 5.0 grains, 1.235" OAL, .451" for the lead. I am firing out of a Sig P220. They work fine but man is there a lot of flakes on the bench after I am done. Also very smoky. Any input guys? Thanks.

.451 seems a tad small for most .45's ive shot...could explain the flakes (probably small amounts of lead getting stripped off...but then again, even with a properly sized bullet, you will see some lead shaving if you look for it).

as for being smokey, well, unique is about the dirtiest powder ive ever used. the recipe is 100+ years old.

Are these the Hornady cast bullets with the silver-gray, mica-textured lube..or similarly coated bullets (sometimes Magtech or Remington cast bullets)? They tend to leave a flakey residue while handling them.
Ditto the previous post regarding Unique.

The standard diameter for lead .45 ACP bullets is .452; .451 is the recommended diameter for jacketed bullets.

Here's the test again for crimp:

Stand about 8 feet away from a blank piece of heavy target paper (turn the target around, so you see the non-printed side). Fire a shot (at the paper)..

If you only see a hole, crimp is good.

If you see a hole, with a neat smoky gray spiral shape around the hole, the crimp is too loose. The spiral is unburned powder that followed the bullet down the bore, hence the spiraling.

Make sure you bell mouth the case enough before inserting the lead bullet. Here's that test: Push the bullet LIGHTLY into the belled mouth of the case. Invert it upside down, and shake. The bullet should stay in place if properly bell mouthed. Don't over bell though (trumpet shape)... Too much belling will over stretch the brass, and lead to premature splitting of the brass....

Are these pre-lubed bullets? Some color grease lube in the groove(s)??? If so, some smoke is expected.

If they are not pre-lubed, then you need to lube them. How is a function of which type of grease grooves you have.

The "flakes" you have on the bench... what are those made of? Are they powder? Lead?

I agree, .451 is small for a lead bullet unless the bore is tighter than normal. Unique is pretty dirty. I used it for many years but switched to Titegroup for most handgun reloads. Most of the smoke is probably the lube. Have you tried poly coated or plated bullets? There should be less smoke since they're not lubed.

Unique is pretty dirty. I used it for many years but switched to Titegroup for most handgun reloads. Most of the smoke is probably the lube. Have you tried poly coated or plated bullets? There should be less smoke since they're not lubed.

Another NON-Unique user. If I want a smoke screen, I'll shoot GOEX.

Also, a second recommendation for poly-coated bullets. I've been using them for years and am quite happy with them.

However, do NOT use TiteGroup with them. The maker of the ones I use expressly warns against using TG with its products; it burns too hot. I use it for jacketed bullets; WST for my poly .40 and .45 bullets.

Unique has always been smoky and dirty.
I use W231, Red Dot or Clays for my .45ACP lead reloads.
I also use a Taper Crimp Die in the last station on my Dillon 550.

Back
Top Bottom