FL Woman Charged for Shooting Gator in Her HOME!

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
We think only MA is dumb about self-defense. Read this one and realize that there are morons enforcing laws everywhere!

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/05/17/393757.html (text below in case it isn't accessible after a few days)

Woman Shoots Gator That Attacks Her Dog
By The Associated Press

BRADENTON, Fla. - A woman has shot an alligator that came into her home and attacked her dog.

The alligator was only 3 feet long, but Candy Frey wasn't taking any chances. When the reptile came into the lanai of her home east of Bradenton Saturday and attacked her golden retriever, Frey went and got her gun.

After Frey and her daughter managed to push the gator out of the lanai through the dog door, she blasted away at it four times.

"I was running on so much adrenaline," the 48-year-old former U.S. Marine aviation technician told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. "I just freaked out and shot him _ boom, boom, boom, boom."

A neighbor called deputies and the state sent a wildlife officer to investigate.

The alligator barely bled from gunshots to the neck and shoulder, Frey said, and wildlife officer put it back in the lake.

The deputy gave Frey a warning citation for hunting without a license.

Alligators have been blamed for three fatal attacks in the span of a week in other parts of Florida.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

That's just silly. There was another incident in the same area where a guy shot one with a compound bow. He was charged as well.

I guess you're just supposed to let them eat you like the other three people who were killed last week. Probably postumously charged them with illegal feeding of an alligator...

She was NOT charged; only issued a "WARNING CITATION" per the story cited.

As the 'gator was:

1. A mere 3" long; and

2. ALREADY removed from the house,

it hardly posed much of a threat.

Scrivener said:
She was NOT charged; only issued a "WARNING CITATION" per the story cited.

As the 'gator was:

1. A mere 3" long; and

2. ALREADY removed from the house,

it hardly posed much of a threat.

Wow! How'd she even see it well enough to shoot at it if it was that small? [rofl]

I'm sure a 3 footer still has quite a bit of snap in its bite.... but I agree...it was out of the house at that point. Oh well...

Jay G said:
Wow! How'd she even see it well enough to shoot at it if it was that small? [rofl]

Special Ops optics - she is, after all, a former Marine. I could explain the technical applications, but then I'd have to kill you........... [wink]

You know after seeing "Full Metal Jacket" where R Lee goes on to essentially
brag about the shooting prowess of Lee Harvey Oswald and the fact that he
was a Marine, I think the Marines should be embarassed about her inability to
dispatch a three foot alligator at point blank range. [rolleyes] [slap]

I have to admit, as a CIVILIAN I'd be embarrassed to admit that anything I shot multiple times at point blank range "barely bled"!!!

We're not even going to discuss how a Marine did that, right Derek, Tony, Ken? [smile]

So, Mr. BP, how would you suggest she should have dispatched this crazed yard of gator? Should she have wrestled it to a standstill? Applied a full nelson and then cut loose with her gat? Exactly where is Center of Gator, anyway? [wink]

Cross-X said:
So, Mr. BP, how would you suggest she should have dispatched this crazed yard of gator? Should she have wrestled it to a standstill? Applied a full nelson and then cut loose with her gat? Exactly where is Center of Gator, anyway? [wink]

Sounds like my kinda woman in that case!

Cross-X said:

Actually, being she is a former Marine, there are any number of options other
than trying to hit center mass with a deadly weapon.

1. Frighten it to death by shouting loudly "Hooaaaa" or something to that effect.
2. Display her USMC Semper Fi Tattoo (wherever that is)
3. Play "Halls of Montezuma" loudly on her Victrola
4. Apply superior force (oops, tried that, it didn''t work)
5. Let the alligator bite her (it would probably damage his teeth, she would be unhurt, and the gator would whimper away)
6. Bite the alligator (the poor thing would probably die of tetnus on the spot)
7. Everybody knows Marines kill with bare hands - she should have tried that.
8. A three foot gator a match for a Marine? Come on! You're kidding?
9. Run it over with her Humvee.
10. etc, etc, etc.

[rofl][rofl]

That used to be my home town. She was not charged and the warning was stupid. Even though it was out of the house, it had already demonstrated the lack of fear and attacked the dog - it needed to go.

I don't know how many of you have ever hunted gators but they can be very difficult to kill. Very small brain and you've got to hit it. Otherwise, they will go back in the water, go to the bottom and eventually die.

1. Frighten it to death by shouting loudly "Hooaaaa" or something to that effect.

It's Hooah, and it's an Army thing. Used to be a Ranger thing.

OohRah is the Marine version.

hooah (hoo ah) adj., adv., n., v., conj., interj., excla. [Orig. unknown] Slang.

1. Referring to or meaning anything and everything except "no".

2. What to say when at a loss for words.

3.a. Good copy. b. Roger. c. Solid copy. d. Good. e. Great. f. Message received. g. Understood. h. Acknowledged.

4.a. Glad to meet you. b. Welcome.

5. "All right!"

6.a. I don't know the answer, but I'll check on it. b. I haven't the foggiest idea.

7. I am not listening.

8. "That is enough of your drivel; sit down!"

9. Yes.

10. "You've got to be kidding me!"

11. Thank you.

12. Go to the next slide.

13. You've taken the correct action.

14. I don't know what that means, but I'm too embarassed to ask for clarification.

15. Squared away (He's pretty hooah.)

16. Amen!

Nickle said:
3 foot gator? Yeah, I know a couple of ladies that could wrestle that one. Gotta be easier than wrestling cows.

Ross, think Heather could do it?
I think she'd shoot it or hit it with a frying pan (if she couldn't reach a gun) first; she's a pretty smart lady! (and lest you folks think I'm dissing her with the frying pan comment, see the pix from last September's Ripton shoot first... I'm not sure the gator'd survive a frying pan at close quarters!)

But yeah, if she had to wrestle it... she's not a small girl; it'd cry "Uncle"!

Marlyn would use the Frying Pan. She's thrown a 10" cast iron skillet at a wall, and put at least a 4" crack in it. She's ex-Army. If I get her shooting a 1911A1 again, that's what she would use. I pity the Gator. Heather only owns 1 gun herself. 20 Guage Ruger Red label. Gator, what Gator?

Nickle said:
Gator, what Gator?
I'm told it tastes like chicken... [smile] [smile]

But you couldn't prove it by me; only time I ever had it it was so heavily spiced that all I could taste was fire on my tongue!

Gator is very good!...Had it in Florida.

I'm curious about the dog...they say it attacked the dog?...Still alive? Missing a leg? How badly was this dog attacked?

KIDGLOCK said:
use Enough Gunits That Simple, Then Some Hot Mustard , A Bbq And A Few Cold Ones .............
Hey, KG... would you mind not playing games with your capitalization and the fonts? It makes your posts really illegible.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom