• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FL - Wife At Gunpoint, Husband Fires At Intruders Posing As Police

Ronald Bracey awoke to his wife's screams Tuesday morning.

The 69-year-old jumped out of bed, grabbed his handgun, and stepped out of his Golden Gate Estates bedroom to find two men holding guns to his wife’s head.

Bracey opened fire, shooting one of the intruders — who was wearing a hat that read “police” — in the shoulder. The would-be-robbers then fled from the home.

>snip<

The attempted robbery began just after 7 a.m., when Jackie Bracey let their two dogs out the front door of their home, according to an arrest report. The dogs had been barking since around 3 a.m.

However, once outside, Jackie Bracey said she was confronted by four men wearing black clothing and black baseball hats, some of which bore the word “police.”.....

http://www.marconews.com/news/2011/jul/26/one-man-shot-3-arrested-golden-gate-estates-home-i/

Ronald Bracey managed to smile Wednesday even though deputies patrolled around his home. Plastic wrap covered a bullet hole in his front window. His wife’s frightened face reminded the 69-year-old of the terror that took place at his home on Tuesday morning.

“My wife’s feeling half as good as yesterday, which isn’t much,” said the Denver, Colo. transplant as he carried in the groceries in the same way he has for the two years he’s lived there.

Buddy, the dog, took off during a violent home invasion.

Four men are accused of holding Jackie Bracey at gunpoint. But Ronald Bracey didn’t hesitate to protect his wife.....

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/jul/27/protecting-his-home-intruders-estates-man-hero-or/

Again... and AGAIN... if police weren't invading our homes and kicking down our doors, shooting our dogs, etc. You could safely assume anyone inside your house was fair game.

Sadly, with the POLICE acting like CRIMINALS you can never be sure who is who.

Had this been the actual police responding to a wrong address or a BS search warrant maybe, this gentlemen would now be dead, and the cops that shot him hailed a hero for 'making it back alive.'

Also.. had he believed they were the police, he and his wife would most likely now be dead also... it's a TOTAL BS decision to have to make. "To serve and protect" [rolleyes]

---
Their dog that ran off when the gun fire started (smart dog, must read NES), returned a day later and the 911 call was released;

http://www.marconews.com/news/2011/jul/28/dog-buddy-missing-after-home-invasion-returns-sher/

“They jumped out of the bushes next to my house, and they all had ... handguns and one had a big rifle,” Jackie Bracey said. “He told me ‘Policia.’ I’m like ‘No, you’re not policia.’”

Last edited:
Yea, it wasn't really the gun to the wifes head that tipped him off that they were fakes, it was the fact that his dogs were still alive that made him think, "something aint right"...

They interviewed one of Bracey's neighbors, who had this to say:
“Myself, if someone was holding a gun to my wife’s head, I’d try to talk to them,” 68-year-old Holcomb said. “Nothing is worth someone’s life, just give them everything you’ve got.”
Got to wonder how his WIFE feels about that little gem.

I have to admit, I find this a more realistic scenario than the inevitable Hollyweird BS - bad guy holds gun to head and everyone within 100 yards disarms themselves.

Kudos to Mr Bracey.

They interviewed one of Bracey's neighbors, who had this to say:

“Myself, if someone was holding a gun to my wife’s head, I’d try to talk to them,” 68-year-old Holcomb said. “Nothing is worth someone’s life, just give them everything you’ve got.”

There's no fool like an old fool. How is it this guy lived to be 68 and remain so fkn stupid all those years?!

Very typical BG's are for the most part cowards, They will only take on those they see as weak.

This is exactly why gun control is bad, and legal access to guns is good. When bad guys don't know who the weak ones are, they tend not to pick on anyone.

Actually, he got it backwards. Some lives are worth nothing.

Think about it, if you knew nobody in a town had a gun, whats the worst they could do if you broke in their house? Yell at you?? Call the police? Grab a gun and it's like x-mas shopping.

Gun control = FAIL

[rofl] talk to them? Dumb ass. In a perfect scenario, they'd each get spoken to right in the head by a nice .45, all at once.

Nobody noticed that they said they were "Policia"? As in Mexico... They didn't even know enough f*@$&ing english to be able to say POLICE?

“They jumped out of the bushes next to my house, and they all had ... handguns and one had a big rifle,” Jackie Bracey said. “He told me ‘Policia.’ I’m like ‘No, you’re not policia.’”

I wonder what the solution is. Maybe there has to be a door breaching dress code for real cops: THey have to be wearing their normal daytime uniforms. A full uniform, either standard police or swatt team, is a little hard for a bad guy to buy, and even harder for him to walk around in. If the local pd did not allow real police officer to wear street clothes during home entries....it would be a step in the direction of protecting them.

Really limiting the number of no-knock warrants issued would be a very good idea too!

And, of course, not entering private houses would solve the problem all together. But then you might have al queda bomb makers next door setting up shop!

One could argue that the "war on drugs" is a pretty stupid waste of time, and a very intrusive assault on legal citizens rights. Maybe judges should stop issueing no-knock warrants for drug busts! Maybe a perp flushes some drugs, but for sure no innocent people (or dogs) would get shot by mistake. I would take that trade off to protect our rights!

Last edited:

If it was me I wouldn't be able to wait for the day he was held at gunpoint. I'd walk up and say "talk nice to them. Goodbye." and walk away.

I wonder what the solution is. Maybe there has to be a door breaching dress code for real cops: THey have to be wearing their normal daytime uniforms. A full uniform, either standard police or swatt team, is a little hard for a bad guy to buy, and even harder for him to walk around in. If the local pd did not allow real police officer to wear street clothes during home entries....it would be a step in the direction of protecting them.

Really limiting the number of no-knock warrants issued would be a very good idea too!

And, of course, not entering private houses would solve the problem all together. But then you might have al queda bomb makers next door setting up shop!

One could argue that the "war on drugs" is a pretty stupid waste of time, and a very intrusive assault on legal citizens rights. Maybe judges should stop issueing no-knock warrants for drug busts! Maybe a perp flushes some drugs, but for sure no innocent people (or dogs) would get shot by mistake. I would take that trade off to protect our rights!

1) Cops should be in full normal street uniform at all times. This black out BS with ski masks and covering up all badge #s/names, etc. is total criminal crap.
2) No NO-KNOCK warrants
3) End the war on drugs
4) Search warrants should be knock, announce, and wait, in full uniform with marked patrol cars out front w/lights on.

I bet the death rate for people, cops, and pets would fall pretty close to ZERO very quickly.

From one of the articles:

But Victor Holcomb, another neighbor who lives further south of Bracey on Everglades Boulevard, said a gun should only be used as a last resort.

Sheep.

Including your wife? [frown]

f5b473f5.jpg

1) Cops should be in full normal street uniform at all times. This black out BS with ski masks and covering up all badge #s/names, etc. is total criminal crap.
2) No NO-KNOCK warrants
3) End the war on drugs
4) Search warrants should be knock, announce, and wait, in full uniform with marked patrol cars out front w/lights on.

I bet the death rate for people, cops, and pets would fall pretty close to ZERO very quickly.

Yep, something like that. I am not sure that about issuing absolutely no NO-KNOCK warrants, but they should be curtailed to almost none. There should be guidlines, and the judge and police chief has to be sure they are followed. Not sure what the guidlines would be, but some information from "vinnie the snitich" would not be sufficient. There would have to be stuff accompanying, like phone book records to verify address, web search info to back it up, etc. Not 99.999% sure...then the police have to announce and wait to be allowed to enter.

Also, there has to be a darned good reason. LIke suspects fleeing from armed robbery, or they are known terrorists with bomb making supplies inside. 2 grams of crack is NOT sufficient....since addresses next to crack houses are not likely to be easily verified and therefore are subject to errors on the police's side. Also, some random ahole droping a dime on "someone with an "arsenal" who was acting odd" would never qualify!

Getting such guidlines passed are going to need a miracle, like the supreme court rulling these are unconstitutional without extraordinary means, and laying down iron clad guidlines that MUST be followed.

And ending the "war on drugs" would certainly be a good first step.

Very typical BG's are for the most part cowards, They will only take on those they see as weak. You give them any real fight and they screw. To The weak kneed, limp dick moron neighbor, Talk to them BULLSHIT, Cap the Son of a Bitch.

One must plan that if you surrender to someone holding any kind of weapon on another then most likely all are going to die. I drew my opinion years ago after reading the investigation that was done on The Onion Field Incident, in Ca. That is the "mind set" I have lived by and will continue to live by.

This is very true.

I remember reading something - might have been in relation to that Onion Field Incident or maybe the one where the Christian kids were taken out the football field and forced into sex and then killed - but it was from behavioral psychologist that said when you give in to these types of people it sets something off in them. Basically it boils down to: once they know you will give in, they decide to do all sorts of bad $hit to you - and if you start resisting after that, then they get REALLY pissed.

You've got to have the presence of mind to just shoot them in the head right then and there and avoid even the potential that they can get the upper hand.

It takes some serious balls to shoot a guy that is holding your wife at gun point. I am assuming that they are both moving slightly (they are definitely NOT stationary). If he was holding her with a gun to her head, it is my assumption he was behind her to the side?

Without knowing the details, I'm very impressed. I dont think I would have had the balls to take a shot if he was behind my wife. I can only imagine the chaos of that situation. The chances of punching your wife's ticket are extremely high.

Now, if he was standing to her side pointing the gun, then that is another story...

In Miami the police hats probably do say Policia! ****

Think about it, if you knew nobody in a town had a gun, whats the worst they could do if you broke in their house? Yell at you?? Call the police? Grab a gun and it's like x-mas shopping.

Gun control = FAIL

[rofl] talk to them? Dumb ass. In a perfect scenario, they'd each get spoken to right in the head by a nice .45, all at once.

Nobody noticed that they said they were "Policia"? As in Mexico... They didn't even know enough f*@$&ing english to be able to say POLICE?

O

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It takes some serious balls to shoot a guy that is holding your wife at gun point. I am assuming that they are both moving slightly (they are definitely NOT stationary). If he was holding her with a gun to her head, it is my assumption he was behind her to the side?

Without knowing the details, I'm very impressed. I dont think I would have had the balls to take a shot if he was behind my wife. I can only imagine the chaos of that situation. The chances of punching your wife's ticket are extremely high.

Now, if he was standing to her side pointing the gun, then that is another story...

This is something I train myself and my students on. It's not something that would necessarily occur to you as a needed training exercise for civilians. -It didn't to me until I ran into it at another training facility. But in fact, this type of situation is less uncommon than you might think.

These are some useful targets for practice:

target_sil_hostage.jpg sfauc-lp.jpg

Do like the Russians do, Shoot THROUGH the hostage. What's a shoulder wound or two, as long as the perp is dead. Screw it, if someone is in your house who doesn't belong or isn't under an invite, they are dead and I will not let them leave the house, they will die in my house so there is no question of where they were.

Finally some common sense! [wink]

Do like the Russians do, Shoot THROUGH the hostage. What's a shoulder wound or two, as long as the perp is dead. Screw it, if someone is in your house who doesn't belong or isn't under an invite, they are dead and I will not let them leave the house, they will die in my house so there is no question of where they were.

i dont know about you, but how many people keep FMJ loadings in their HD gun? I keep JHP, that usually will stop at the first person it enters, so my wife if you hit the brachial artery just below the shoulder, and she bleeds out in 5 min, and he shoots you and your dead??? that doesn't make too much sense, and thank god im not your wife.

i wonder if the husband was coming out of an area they didnt see, and was able to take the time to really aim his first shot?

I'm guessing he missed his primary target...

Back
Top Bottom