FL permit time!

Since Im going to down Florida, Ive been trying to set up an appointment to do the FLW concealed weapons permit in person at one of the Agriculture offices.

Ive been calling nonstop for 4 days, and I can't even get any of the 3 offices I will be near during my trip to get back to me. Ugh, frustrating.

I did mine by mail and the turn around was about one month. I considered waiting until my trip but I read that not every Sheriff's office was equipped to process the fingerprints and the application. Are you sure you can get this done in person at the Agriculture Division? Maybe things have changed but that was not an option when I applied in 2008.
Best regards.

When you got your LTC, did you do the MA approved course, or a NRA Basic Pistol equivalent? If the later, you don't need to step foot in the Agriculture offices. The entire process can be done by mail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you got your LTC, did you do the MA approved course, or a NRA Basic Pistol equivalent? If the later, you don't need to step foot in the Agriculture offices. The entire process can be done by mail.

I live in Rhode Island and I took the I took the MA Basic Firearms Safety class at AFS in North Attleborro.

In the Florida CCW application packet it stated.

"The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible.*The certificate/document must include your name, your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearms Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license /certification number.

I went online download the packet, they sent me the fingerprint cards. You have to use their cards. I went and got fingerprinted at the Rhode Island State Police. I mailed the application out. They said it should take about 90 days. I called them after about 8 weeks and told them I was going on a trip. They told me to call back in a week it was at my door before I called back. It was pretty painless. $107 for 8 years. Much better than my mass non resident 100 a year and a trip to Chelsea.

I live in Rhode Island and I took the I took the MA Basic Firearms Safety class at AFS in North Attleborro.

"The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible.*The certificate/document must include your name, your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearms Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license /certification number.

I went online download the packet, they sent me the fingerprint cards. You have to use their cards. I went and got fingerprinted at the Rhode Island State Police. I mailed the application out. They said it should take about 90 days. I called them after about 8 weeks and told them I was going on a trip. They told me to call back in a week it was at my door before I called back. It was pretty painless. $107 for 8 years. Much better than my mass non resident 100 a year and a trip to Chelsea.

Good to know. My FL CWP is from when I was a FL resident, so for me it was a simple call to tell them my address had changed. I was under the impression when I asked on behalf of a friend that MA BFP was not acceptable for FL. Yahtzee.

Can you clarify? There are a slew of classes approved for the MA LTC. Florida stipulates what meets the training requirement for them. If anyone is interested, when I called the main agriculture phone number to inquire, I spoke with someone in licensing, and they told me that my NRA Basic Pistol instructor certification qualified for the FLW CWP.

Can you clarify? There are a slew of classes approved for the MA LTC. Florida stipulates what meets the training requirement for them. If anyone is interested, when I called the main agriculture phone number to inquire, I spoke with someone in licensing, and they told me that my NRA Basic Pistol instructor certification qualified for the FLW CWP.

Sorry, my reference to "Ma approved course" was toward the MA Basic Firearms Safety course.

I did mine by mail and the turn around was about one month. I considered waiting until my trip but I read that not every Sheriff's office was equipped to process the fingerprints and the application. Are you sure you can get this done in person at the Agriculture Division? Maybe things have changed but that was not an option when I applied in 2008.
Best regards.

Yes, its the Department of Agriculture and consumer services. In fact, on their website, they tell you the fastest turnaround comes from in person applications.

Sorry, my reference to "Ma approved course" was toward the MA Basic Firearms Safety course.

What class number is it on this list?
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/archived-stories/2012/approved-basic-firearms-safety-course-list-updated.html

- - - Updated - - -

My town PD won't do the fingerprints. Sucks. I may try to talk to them again, but if I am going to be in FL, why go through that hassle when I get it done in one shot?

The MA course I referred to, LTC-001. The NRA Basic Pistol I also referred to LTC-002. Also, having the NRA Basic Pistol comes in handy with getting Non-Res permits for other states that haven't achieved such greatness as the Gunshine state has.

ahhh, ok. I have completed LTC-002 (and am also an instructor for it).

Here is what FL dictates as the requirements for training: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Acceptable-Training-Documentation

What class number is it on this list?
My town PD won't do the fingerprints. Sucks. I may try to talk to them again, but if I am going to be in FL, why go through that hassle when I get it done in one shot?

Also, you don't need to have your town do it, the sheriff's departments provide this service as well, and if you have no luck with that, hit up Joe at JMInstruction.com. He runs a bunch of courses and I'd be willing to bet he'd do a quick print for a small nominal fee for his time.

I recall needing FL specific print cards.

I think you also need an ORI(?) number which the cops or whoever takes your prints must provide.

It's like a certification of the print taker.

I took a FL and UT class and the instructor ruined my prints.

I had them redone at my local pd for $5 - AFTER they were rejected by FL and FL sent more print cards.

Since Im going to down Florida, Ive been trying to set up an appointment to do the FLW concealed weapons permit in person at one of the Agriculture offices. Ive been calling nonstop for 4 days, and I can't even get any of the 3 offices I will be near during my trip to get back to me. Ugh, frustrating.

As it so happens I have an upcoming appointment at the Indian River County Tax Collectors office. When I called they answered the phone on the second ring, were super friendly, and even offered me an appointment for the next day. Picking a time that coincided with my travel schedule was no problem.

Is a county tax collectors office an option for you?

They have computer application terminals and electronic fingerprint scanners linked to the Department of Agriculture's licensing bureau. There is however an additional $22 convenience fee when using this option.

Yes, its the Department of Agriculture and consumer services. In fact, on their website, they tell you the fastest turnaround comes from in person applications.

When I got mine a few years ago, I did the paperwork, etc at their West Palm Beach office. I had setup an appointment for right after I arrived on my flight. It is a short cab ride from the airport.
I think it was a thursday morning. On Saturday my girlfriend who was a FL resident at the time, went to a gun show and took their course. We mailed her paperwork early the next week. She got her license a week before me.

The training class at the gun shows is a bit of a joke. The live fire consists of firing one round. However, may be worth your while if you cannot get into the Agriculture office. They are not too expensive, maybe $50 or $60, only last a few hours, and when you leave you have a completed and nortarized application, print card, and passport photo. All you have to do is write a check and mail it in.

Back
Top Bottom