FL - Easter Shooting Determined To Be 'Self-Defense'

An Easter Sunday shooting incident was determined to be an act of self defense, police said Monday.

The victim, John Smith, 43, will face charges involving kidnapping, burglary and battery. He is in stable condition at a local hospital. Once Smith is medically cleared he will be arrested for the criminal charges following a domestic related confrontation that led to the shooting.

>snip<

The woman told detectives Smith had held her against her will for much of the day. The female's mother and her fiancé, identified as David Martin, 38, intervened and took the woman to Martin's home on Fleming Avenue. Smith later showed up at the Fleming Avenue address, but Martin refused to let him inside.

According to the witnesses at the home, Smith forced his way in and an altercation occurred.....

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...425014/Shooting-Palm-Bay-deemed-self-defense-

I had to reread it a couple of times, because at first it looked to me that the girl had a fiancee, and it was her boyfriend who was the attacker after she broke up with him! After further study, though, I realized that the other guy was her mother's fiancee - not hers.[laugh]

Annoyed that they called the only guy in the mess that will have charges brought against him the "victim". He was the "Intruder" and the "assailant" but not a victim.

This points out the delicacy required in laws such as those NH is considering WRT to "self defense" being predicated on your not having "provoked" the altercation.

Some "provocations" in the immediate sense are reasonable responses to prior/ongoing bad actions of the actual criminal.

Back
Top Bottom