FL CWP looking for ammo in CT

I am going to CT in Sept, bringing my hand gun with me, but no ammo as its easier to fly that way. Will I be able to buy ammo in CT with my FL Drivers License and CWP?? Any info would be appreciative....

I am going to CT in Sept, bringing my hand gun with me, but no ammo as its easier to fly that way. Will I be able to buy ammo in CT with my FL Drivers License and CWP?? Any info would be appreciative....

I don't understand the bolded part of your post, especially if you're just talking about your carry ammo, but I believe a permit is now required to buy ammo in CT. Hopefully, someone who lives there will chime in and help you out.

Airlines vary, but I believe most allow 11 lbs. of ammo in a checked bag. You'll need to check a bag anyway for your firearm, right?

I don't think I'd want to count on finding the carry ammo I wanted at a store in CT. I'd rather bring some with me that had been fully tested in my carry gun already (not all hollow points are created equal, nor do all brands feed well in all handguns).

Enjoy your trip!

You will need a CT ammunition permit or a CT non-resident pistol permit to buy ammo in CT. I believe they issue the ammo permit while you wait, but you would have to go to DPS headquarters in Middletown to get it before attempting to buy ammo.

If you are traveling close to RI, you can buy ammo there without any special permission slips.

I am going to CT in Sept, bringing my hand gun with me

You are going to be arrested at the airport as soon as you grab your luggage. CT does not honor any other state's pistol permit.

You will also need a non-resident CT pistol permit, ammunition permit, or a long-gun permit to by ammo in CT.

DO NOT come to CT with your handgun in your luggage.

You need a permit to do ANYTHING with a handgun here anymore, period. As mentioned by the other posters, CT has zero reciprocity with any other states. And, because of the recent changes in the law, you also can't buy ammo as also mentioned. It's for the children, don't you know. You need a permit for that or at least your local pistol permit. Here in CT "concealed carry" is not even mentioned in the regs or laws. Open carry is NOT prohibited but you MUST have a permit, period.

If you come here with a pistol but without a permit, you'll be breaking CT law. Going home you'll have to declare it at the airport, of course, and while they have not been asking to see permits, it's just a matter of time before that does happen. You don't want to be first. That's also assuming you're flying into Hartford. A lot of people fly to Boston and that, too, is a horrible place to travel with firearms.

Regarding flying with guns and ammo in general, I've done it a lot of times (all legal, too) and it's not an issue. You can carry 11 pounds (as mentioned above) as long as it's boxed securely and the pistol is locked and unloaded in your checked luggage. They won't raise an eyebrow. But, as soon as you collect your luggage you will be breaking CT's laws and it's a felony which will cause you a lot of headaches.

Just 'saying.

Rome Oh! Welcome to Konnecticut.

So there is some bad info in this thread, let me help you out.

1) it is not easier to fly with no ammo. Your entire premise is incorrect. Put your handgun in a locking case, unloaded, and put the ammo in that case in its original box. The handgun can be in the same container as the ammo. So how is that harder than flying without ammo? One caveat, check your airlines website to confirm. Print out that page when you check your gun. Just in case the counter help is misinformed. I traveled from CT to North Dakota hunting last year. In ONE SINGLE case I had 2 shotguns, 1 handgun, 10 rounds of handgun ammo, 11 lbs (whatever the max is, I can't exactly remember now) of 12 ga and 20 ga shotgun ammo. ALL IN ONE CASE. (Yes it was heavy)

1.5) The pistol does not have to be locked. (Throw away your trigger locks, its for the children) It has to be in a locked case.

2) as others have said, a FL permit will not help you in any way in CT. CT doesn't recognize any other state's carry permit.

3) In CT a CT Pistol Permit is required to carry or transport outside of your residence or place of business. There are very few exceptions. Some include interstate travel through the state, trips to organized shooting events, trips for formal instruction.

4) The way around all of this is to have a friend who has a CT pistol permit pick you up at the airport and take possession of your luggage.

5) You will NOT get arrested when you either pick up the gun or drop it off, regardless of whether you choose to do it legally with a CT Pistol Permit holder. I've literally flown through bradley DOZENS of times with guns and have never ONCE been asked to present a pistol permit.

Don

I got the info I needed. Thank you everyone who replied!! I have decided not to bring it along.....seems less of a headache that way!!

dcmdon has the same information that have. Let me emphasize something in his response. Make sure the ammo is in the box it was sold in or if you reload make sure it is a valid retail box. I had my ammunition examined and when they opened the box and looked at the ammo I was feeling a little aggravated and asked what they were looking for. The officer told me that they would confiscate 'loose' ammunition. When I asked what constituted loose he actually said "not in a plastic tray".

Who knows what they are going to look for. But to be fair... I've followed the rules and have had no problems in Logan or Sky Harbor (Phoenix).

You are going to be arrested at the airport as soon as you grab your luggage. CT does not honor any other state's pistol permit.
I don't believe there is a mechanism to track the guns in luggage; report it to law enforcement; and then arrange to have police waiting when you claim the luggage. The risk is there, but I don't think that is the mechanism by which you risk getting caught.

Mail order a CT CWP and carry on a future trip - too late for this one.

The officer told me that they would confiscate 'loose' ammunition. When I asked what constituted loose he actually said "not in a p
BTDT. A loose round was found in my checked range bag flying out of TF Green in RI. It took two TSA agents; a TSA supervisor; an airline rep; and an airport cop to conclude the appropriate course of action was to confiscate the errant round. They did offer to fill out an extra form so they could store the round and return it when I came back from my trip.

The airport cop was playing the attitude game trying to provoke me into acting stupidly. When he told me he was running my name to see if I had a record, I handed him my RI carry license and told him "You won't find anything except maybe this". He switched to nice mode.

Last edited:
dcmdon has the same information that have. Let me emphasize something in his response. Make sure the ammo is in the box it was sold in or if you reload make sure it is a valid retail box. I had my ammunition examined and when they opened the box and looked at the ammo I was feeling a little aggravated and asked what they were looking for. The officer told me that they would confiscate 'loose' ammunition. When I asked what constituted loose he actually said "not in a plastic tray".

Who knows what they are going to look for. But to be fair... I've followed the rules and have had no problems in Logan or Sky Harbor (Phoenix).

I've traveled with reloads in a hard plastic box that people typically put reloads into.

When I flew to ND hunting this past fall, like I said, I had a hair under 11 lbs of shot shells, 2 shotguns and 1 J frame revolver in one case along with 10 rounds of .357 magnum. Those .357 rounds were double bagged in a heavy duty ziploc bag. (They originally held Dawson Precision 1911 mags. Nice and thick) They were not in a box or tray. I had no problems.

Don

p.s. the delta website says that if the box isn't original, it should provide separation for the rounds. So I guess i got lucky on the revolver ammo.

Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom