• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fixing a MA M&P 45

Why don;t you read through this first then decide if you still want it. Although after it's 3rd trip back to S&W I think its finally right...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-and-my-disappointment-another-update-post-75

I looked at that thread and read a few posts but not all of them.

A couple of weeks ago when I was RO'g at BR&P a member came up to me with a major problem. 1911 with live round in chamber, out of battery and slide locked up tight as can be. I finally succeeded in breaking it free and nothing looked out of sorts. Best guess from our CRO/FFL is a slightly out-of-round cartridge, not enough to eye-ball but enough to jam things up. MagTech ammo. Member later came by to update me and thank me again . . . he said that he had trouble with another 4 or 5 rds from that box. He then shot a "branded" ammo and had Zero failures of any kind.

So, I wonder if some of your problems might not be ammo related (again I didn't read it all to see if it was repeatable with different ammo).

Here's one, then (complaint that is). I bought an M&P that was posited to have a Lou trigger job from BEC. It broke after a few hundred rounds down the pipe and I ended up replacing it with an Apex kit. Easy peasy. It has made me leery about taking any gun to him in the future, but I haven't heard many negative things said about his work on the forum, so maybe I just got a bad one.

Like you I bought a used M&P Shield with a BEC trigger job. I wasn't thrilled with it (~6.5# and not a smooth trigger pull) and had Greg Derr re-do it for me. Lou apparently does not round the firing pin blocking pin and it appears that this part contributes a lot to smoothness of pull (or lack thereof).

Dave Santurri did the trigger job on one M&P that I bought used and Greg Derr did a trigger job on the other 2 M&Ps that I bought new. These three all are a heck of a lot better than the M&P Shield trigger job from Lou. At least that is my opinion based on the work of 3 gunsmiths on 4 guns. YMMV

In my opinion, if it was me. I would look for the cheapest price online for a Apex kit and call around and see how much gunsmiths charge. Cant be that much to install the kit. I'm not confident enough to do any trigger work on my guns. If you are by all means do it yourself. Best of luck

In my opinion, if it was me. I would look for the cheapest price online for a Apex kit and call around and see how much gunsmiths charge. Cant be that much to install the kit. I'm not confident enough to do any trigger work on my guns. If you are by all means do it yourself. Best of luck

At $85 that Greg Derr charges for a trigger job, I doubt you can buy the Apex kit and have anyone install it for less money!

I have two M&P 45's a compacts and full size, I installed the DCAEK in both, however I used the 10lb red mass trigger return spring. Both guns triggers gauge at 5,5 lbs and its a night and day improvement over the stock shitty Ma triggers. Both my 45's have been rock solid. I shot 250 rounds of mixed 45 ammo last week in my full size with zero issues to date the guns got well over a 1000 rounds with no issues.

I put an apex kit in my friend's M&P 45, and I like it better than the free state trigger our department guns came with.

I put an apex kit in my friend's M&P 45, and I like it better than the free state trigger our department guns came with.

You need to run mucho rounds thru the department guns to get a maybe decent trigger by wearing down the rough spots. My free state M&P 45 was 11# OOB and after 500 rds it was down to 8# with nothing else done to it. Expensive way to do a "trigger job" but won't violate department policy of getting a gunsmith to do the work.

Shit - I'll consider selling you my M&P .45 with the apex already installed. I am thoroughly not impressed by this pistol.

I've hated every M&P I've ever fired. And that's with APEX and whatever other company that un****s the trigger. It's mushy and terrible IMHO. Sorry I hate to be so negative but it's so strange to me why someone will buy a handgun that will need $125++++ installed just to make it better.

GunGrey I can smell your reply. Glock sucks too I know. But FN doesn't nor does my FA XDs.

You need to run mucho rounds thru the department guns to get a maybe decent trigger by wearing down the rough spots. My free state M&P 45 was 11# OOB and after 500 rds it was down to 8# with nothing else done to it. Expensive way to do a "trigger job" but won't violate department policy of getting a gunsmith to do the work.

I do the work on our department guns, so they've all had the 25c trigger job... that's about it. Mine has 4-5k rounds through it now, but I just don't like the mushy trigger in general. I do think Apex is a decent improvement on it, and would like to try shooting one with RAM.

I bought the 45c that had the worst MA trigger I ever felt. It was so bad I actually called S&W customer service and yelled at the guy for the crap they sell to MA customers knowing full well that we have to fix the trigger.
Decided against the apex kit even though I've heard good thing about them and instead I had Mike LaRocca do the trigger. The trigger now breaks like glass.....one of the best of all my handguns.

Last edited:
I've hated every M&P I've ever fired. And that's with APEX and whatever other company that un****s the trigger. It's mushy and terrible IMHO. Sorry I hate to be so negative but it's so strange to me why someone will buy a handgun that will need $125++++ installed just to make it better.

GunGrey I can smell your reply. Glock sucks too I know. But FN doesn't nor does my FA XDs.

hahaha nice

my M&P is great i dont know why so much hate. atleast it comes with real non plastic sights. I dont know why someone would buy a gun and drop around 100$ to 125$ or more for sights which should have came standard.

Like you I bought a used M&P Shield with a BEC trigger job. I wasn't thrilled with it (~6.5# and not a smooth trigger pull) and had Greg Derr re-do it for me. Lou apparently does not round the firing pin blocking pin and it appears that this part contributes a lot to smoothness of pull (or lack thereof).

Dave Santurri did the trigger job on one M&P that I bought used and Greg Derr did a trigger job on the other 2 M&Ps that I bought new. These three all are a heck of a lot better than the M&P Shield trigger job from Lou. At least that is my opinion based on the work of 3 gunsmiths on 4 guns. YMMV

It's possible it wasn't radius. Some of the early ones were just lighten up and done at a discounted rate for customers who just wanted a manageable trigger without paying a lot of money for it . All fps are radius and polished on M&Ps and Shields. The Shield triggers are slightly different from a FS M&P. IMHO you can't judge a Shield to a M&P

Here's one, then (complaint that is). I bought an M&P that was posited to have a Lou trigger job from BEC. It broke after a few hundred rounds down the pipe and I ended up replacing it with an Apex kit. Easy peasy. It has made me leery about taking any gun to him in the future, but I haven't heard many negative things said about his work on the forum, so maybe I just got a bad one.

First I have heard of any of this .

Last edited:
I highly recommend Greg Derr for this. He did a great job on my M&P 45, brought it down to 5#.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Apex trigger, having tried someone's M&P with it. When I had the work done to my M&Ps, there was no such thing as an Apex kit, but I'll say that the Apex is good but a professional gunsmithing job is superb!

Dropped off my Shield at Greg's yesterday, he did a great job on my full size M&P 9

Just a thought ....
Anybody think of contacting Business End Customs and talking to them about a problem with a USED gun they purchased ??

Just a Thought ! Something I would have done before bad mouthing them on a Forum !

Join DateOct 2009LocationMiddlesex CountyPosts160Feedback Score4 (100%)

[h=2]
icon1.png
[/h]
Go nuts with the dryfire. I put hundreds of presses on mine with no issues. Plus if you break something, it'll give you an excuse to drop-in one of those wonderful Apex trigger kits.

I also ran plenty of +P ammo through mine. You might want to get a heavier recoil spring if you plan to shoot more +P and standard pressure, but you won't harm the gun.

Happy shooting!​

Machete, It seems you like to test the limits!

I take all my work to Lou and would be leery about anyone else doing it. Lou will not let anyone else touch a gun for quality control. If something doesn't feel quite right, he figures out what adjustments need to be made (would really apply to second/third owner guns). Certainly 1911 work is more finicky. If you have a problem or are not happy with his answers, take it back to him or ask him to clarify. I ask some of the dumbest questions and he always finds a way to explain it. He tries to please everyone to a fault, and would be very willing to make someone unhappy with his work happy again. I would just call him directly. 95% of problems arise from communication issues (Are none of you married!!?) Posting negative assumptions here just breeds misinformation.

Just reading this thread, has forced me to go down in my safe, and check the 2 guns Lou [BEC] has worked on.My 9mm Shield has about 6500 rnds down the pipe my firing pin safety is radius and polished. I also own a 45 MP compact that has about 5000 rnds down the pipe the firing pin safety is also radius and polished.These guns both have excellent pulls,very happy with the service with Lou [BEC] .How can you say it was lous fault when the guns are used, Lou might not have done the work.'' ' I would have called Lou, before bad mouthing him on the forum. JUST SAYING!

[QUOTEGo nuts with the dryfire. I put hundreds of presses on mine with no issues. Plus if you break something, it'll give you an excuse to drop-in one of those wonderful Apex trigger kits.

I also ran plenty of +P ammo through mine. You might want to get a heavier recoil spring if you plan to shoot more +P and standard pressure, but you won't harm the gun.

Happy shooting!][/QUOTE]

it's amazing that when someone that posts something like this, then they have the balls to think they know what theyre talking about. You sir should sell all your guns and go think about yourself...the fact that you would recommend some one "go nuts with dryfire" is beyond retarded...everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it...i award you no points...and may god have mercy on your soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

that being said...i have over a dozen M&Ps with BEC trigger jobs, with TENS of thousands of ACTUAL rounds (not dry fire) through them, with ZERO issues. People ACROSS THE COUNTRY that have used my guns have actually sent their guns to Lou at BEC to get worked on because no matter what you think, no apex kit beats the work of a skilled gunsmith with thousands of hours working specifically on these pistols, one at a time

So, uh ... why is going nuts with the dry firing such a bad idea? I have found that it does actually help the parts wear in and smooth out the trigger.

Maybe I'm just retarded too.

I dry fire my guns almost once a day. Presspresspresspresspresspress

Operate harder sir

hahaha nice

my M&P is great i dont know why so much hate. atleast it comes with real non plastic sights. I dont know why someone would buy a gun and drop around 100$ to 125$ or more for sights which should have came standard.

Glock sights function perfectly well out of the box. Unlike m&p triggers. A set of steel meprolight nites cost 69 dollars and drift right in, in minutes.

Plus i can run 1000 rounds thru my glock and sell it for what i bought it for or more.

Im trying to sell a very lightly used m&p and cant even get a sniff even with taking a 150 dollar hit on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for advice on the best way to fix the MA trigger on an M&P 45. I do not want to send it out to a gunsmith.

Has anyone used this: https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid17.html ?

I'm curious if this is enough or will I need to change the trigger spring as well?
I am also not opposed to positing the internals "the 25 cent trigger job".

Thanks for the information!

Chris

Cheapest solution is to install a "Free State" trigger return spring, $2.75.

[QUOTEGo nuts with the dryfire. I put hundreds of presses on mine with no issues. Plus if you break something, it'll give you an excuse to drop-in one of those wonderful Apex trigger kits.

Happy shooting!]

it's amazing that when someone that posts something like this, then they have the balls to think they know what theyre talking about. You sir should sell all your guns and go think about yourself...the fact that you would recommend some one "go nuts with dryfire" is beyond retarded...everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it...i award you no points...and may god have mercy on your soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

that being said...i have over a dozen M&Ps with BEC trigger jobs, with TENS of thousands of ACTUAL rounds (not dry fire) through them, with ZERO issues. People ACROSS THE COUNTRY that have used my guns have actually sent their guns to Lou at BEC to get worked on because no matter what you think, no apex kit beats the work of a skilled gunsmith with thousands of hours working specifically on these pistols, one at a time[/QUOTE]

JFC...just looking for some info on M&P mods, and stumbled on this. If you don't see the value of getting reps in on dry fire, you sir are a retard. You sound like one of those dudes who paints their gun to look like they run it. I can't even put into words the stupidity of this post. Holy shit. Here is a dude who shoots minute of chalkboard at best. #canteven

Back
Top Bottom