• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fixed!

RugerSlinger

NES Member
I was trying to remove my float tube and instead of it coming off it took the barrel nut with it too. I am unsure of the make of it, but it is just a plain aluminum tube. I tried heating it to loosen the lock-tite or what ever may be holding it on but it is so tight I can only get it to turn about a half turn then it locks up. I tried turning it back and forth a few times to try to loosen it more but it isn't getting any loosed. The upper isn't that old, maybe a year or two so i cant imagine that it is frozen in there. Anyone have any ideas?
I am letting it soak in penetrating oil overnight to see if it helps at all and ill try again tomorrow.

BTW I do have the correct wrench for the nut so that isn't the problem, I don't know how much I should heat it as it is aluminum.

Last edited:
I don't know, I bought the upper with it on it. It is rifle length if that helps but other than that I have no idea. There is nothing on it to tell me wither. I will take pics tomorrow if I still cant get it off

no set screws ? aluminum and steel love to stick to gether.....Why are you removing it.

I believe Remsport built the upper, I am trying to get some stuff cerakoted. Is there any harm in just leaving the barrel nut on the tube and just somehow retorque the the whole tube with the nut? I just dont feel like spending any more money right now

that'd be a good way to bust your tube.

Take pictures and post them up. That might give people an idea of what you're dealing with.

Why not just cerakote the whole assembled rifle?

that'd be a good way to bust your tube.

Take pictures and post them up. That might give people an idea of what you're dealing with.

Why not just cerakote the whole assembled rifle?

If the barrel nut came off with the tube how am I going to damage it puting it back on? I feel like I am going to ruin the tube by trying to remove the float tube.

if you'd take a picture of the tube....one of us might know how to remove it from the barrel nut.

the only float tube i've EVER seen that was permanently welded to the barrel nut was Frank White's service rifle float tube ( CompassLake.com )

...but then again, you'd KNOW if you had one of those.

On second thought I looked at johns pics of his rifles and I don't see a jam but so it must be loctite a little heat and I would reinstall the barrel nut and stick a drill bit they the barrel nut into the upper receiver to give you some counter force! Good luck

I won't put a drill bit in the upper receiver, its not made to take that kind of force. Get a barrel nut wrench from the back and a strap wrench

I got it guys, thanks. It was just full of Red locktite. It took me a half hour to spin it off. Cleaned it all up and it is all good now.

Back
Top Bottom