• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fixed blade knives

Anyone carry one?

I have a few nice folders, but they don't feel good in my hands. Being the son of a Marine, I was always sold on the virtues of a KA-BAR, but am a realist and know thats probably not the knife to carry.

So does anyone carru a fixed blade? How do you wear it? How do you keep it from being seen and what is really legal? Growing up, it was always 'never larger than your palm' which has to be an urban legend.

I carry a frost mora bushcraft .... not stainless so I put a patina on it. For the money you can't beat it IMHO . Super sharp (Scandinavian grind) and very durable, I paid 12$ for it a ways back, now they are around 20-40$ depending. I carry it in a sheath I had from a crap Kmart Gerber on my belt. Buy one you wont regret it.

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

Last edited:
I sometimes carry a fixed blade. I carry it inside the waistband and use the clip to fix it to my belt. There are no state laws about blade length, but many towns have ordinances against anything over 3 1/2 inches for example. Boston, Salem and I think Leominster have ordinances off the top of my head.

As long as its not double edged, you should be good to go.

I'm a benchmade guy

IMG_0060.jpg

Ill carry a Strider SLCC tethered to my belt and tucked in behind the buckle sometimes.

Alternatively, I also have a cold steel spike and a CRKT Hissatsu that I carry, usually tucked into my waistband in some way.

For around the yard/woods, I also have a cold steel trailmaster, but I never carry that "around".

Here is the Clinch Pick (and Nok hard contact trainer) that Boghog1 mentioned:

Clinchpickwithhardtrainer.jpg

I really like the way this knife carries and the accessibility it allows for either hand. An un-tucked shirt conceals it very well. Where I live there are essentially no restrictions on what type of blade you can carry.

P3132668.jpg

I like the Shivworks blade Andy carries but it doesn't seem to be available

Paul Moore makes a knife (and trainer) very similar to the Clinch Pick.

Bob%20and%20trainer.jpg

I carry an Izula II reasonably often. My knife isn't really carried for self-defense purposes, so the utility of hard steel, short blade, standard drop-point and nonthreatening appearance are all positives.

The Izula II is the only non-purpose-built knife I've owned that I can use to safely open an oyster, for example. Even high-end folders bend precariously when that much torque is applied. You'd never be able to abuse a Clinch Pick for that, which is a situation I encounter far more often than potential knife-fights.

How about something like this? It's wicked sharp, made in the USA, and sold at WalMart for like $20.
It is reasonably thick and can have paracord wrap done on the handle.
Buck 143 wrap.jpg
There is a guy on Ebay that is now making quaklity kydex sheaths for them at only $20.
So there for $40 you've got a fixed blade.

smitty

At any given time, I have several on me; I like RATs, and I love Bark River knives. I bought all my brothers Bark River Bravo Neckers for Christmas this year; I had some happy bros.

The best sheaths I've ever seen are made by bladerigs.com. They can clip anywhere, conceal easily as they ride high on the hip, and have great draw and retention. As with firearm holsters, just buy the right thing the first time, and you'll never look back.

This is a bladerigs sheath he made for my RAT Izula:

IzulaKydexBladerigscopy.jpg

And here is a sheath I made for my RAT3:

DSC_0069-1.jpg

You can see they both ride at about the same height.

I am glad to see people carrying the Izula's, I just got in on the RAT group buy for one, and this will be my first fixed blade EDC.

Sent from my phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom