• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Five Rules To Help You Win A Gunfight

safetyfirst2125

NES Member
Five Rules To Help You Win A Gunfight

"Rule 1 – Don’t Go to A Gunfight – Gunfights are chaotic and even if you are highly trained there is no guarantee that you will survive.

Rule 2 – If you find yourself in a gunfight, it is best to have a gun ON YOU – In the last Tom Givens’ class I attended, he highlighted 10 of his former student’s gun fights. All 10 happened AWAY from the home.

Rule 3 – If you have a gun on you, you should probably know how to get it into the fight QUICKLY – Gunfights, especially in civilian arenas, don’t typically last long.

Rule 4 – Get moving to create distance or find cover – Once you have made the decision it is time to fight, then you should also start moving.

Rule 5 – Quick decisive action is paramount – When the balloon goes up, there will not be time to decide how to respond"

Last edited:
• 40% of violent criminals have formal firearms training
• 80% are training or practicing every other week
• 40% have been in at least 1 gun fight
• 25% have been in 5 or more gun fights.

I don't believe these stats.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Find this one hard to believe. I doubt the guy knocking over 7-11's is using that money for range time and CCW training. What I might believe is that a repeat offender gets live action reps.

Big. If true.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Find this one hard to believe. I doubt the guy knocking over 7-11's is using that money for range time and CCW training. What I might believe is that a repeat offender gets live action reps.

not a bad idea to just believe they're true though. Underestimating your opponent is dangerous. Overestimating them is probably a good thing.

not a bad idea to just believe they're true though. Underestimating your opponent is dangerous. Overestimating them is probably a good thing.

True. And I don't underestimate. Anyone with a gun can kill anyone else with a gun, regardless of training level. That's part of his rule #1, which I also subscribe to in trying to avoid a gun fight in the first place. Ready if it happens, but also ready to avoid as a first measure.

This is laughable. Just look at the licenced rates. Heck, in MA, it's like 99% don't have an LTC. In Chicago, it's 99.9% don't have permit. In NYCx 99%. Cali was at like 4 nines don't have permit.

Training? Can't get legal training in any of those states without the permit.

I was at the club and struck up a conversation with a Boston cop. He was shooting and he was good. I mentioned that and he said that unfortunately the bad guys practice too.

Welll... if drive bys are formal training....
Drive by every other week? Sure.
40% of residents of the south side of Chicago...
25% of Baltimore residents over 14 have been in 5 or more gunfights.... in middle school.

Source for these stats is supposedly an FBI study (lol) in 2006:

"The FBI put out a publication several years ago titled "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers." In it, the researchers identified 40 cases of serious attacks on police officers and then interviewed both the officers and the attackers involved in each case. They talked to both about the training they received, weapons usage, practice habits, and attitudes towards violence. The results were remarkable.

The first thing that the researchers learned is that our assumptions about criminals not training are wrong. Nearly 40% of the criminal attackers in this study had received FORMAL firearms training (mostly in the military). More than 80% of the criminal attackers regularly practiced with their firearms, with an average number of 23 practice sessions per year! They conducted these practice sessions in trash dumps, wooded areas, back yards and "street corners in known drug trafficking areas." What that means is that the practice sessions were taking place in realistic environments, under conditions similar to those the attackers were likely to face in combat."

Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers | Office of Justice Programs (ojp.gov)

Source for these stats is supposedly an FBI study (lol) in 2006:

"The FBI put out a publication several years ago titled "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers." In it, the researchers identified 40 cases of serious attacks on police officers and then interviewed both the officers and the attackers involved in each case. They talked to both about the training they received, weapons usage, practice habits, and attitudes towards violence. The results were remarkable.

The first thing that the researchers learned is that our assumptions about criminals not training are wrong. Nearly 40% of the criminal attackers in this study had received FORMAL firearms training (mostly in the military). More than 80% of the criminal attackers regularly practiced with their firearms, with an average number of 23 practice sessions per year! They conducted these practice sessions in trash dumps, wooded areas, back yards and "street corners in known drug trafficking areas." What that means is that the practice sessions were taking place in realistic environments, under conditions similar to those the attackers were likely to face in combat."

Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers | Office of Justice Programs (ojp.gov)
Copy of the study found online here:

Violent encounters: a study of felonious assaults on our nation's law ... - Anthony J. Pinizzotto - Google Books

Training or practicing every other week....come on man !!!!

Back
Top Bottom