• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fishing Pontoon Boat

wjsmall97

NES Member
Hi,
Does anyone here ever use one? I am looking for a boat, about 18', for fishing. My wife wants a pontoon boat but I want
a fishing boat, then I saw a fishing pontoon boat. It sounds like the best of both worlds, but I know nothing about these boats.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bill

At our cabin in MN we had a large pontoon. It was great for taking the family fishing, tubing, relaxing, etc. I love fishing on a pontoon, one that has a good front deck. Easier to net fish when you can walk to the edge of the deck.

Me with my boys.
cody1stbass.jpg
meandcooper.jpg

Family cabin in MN, note fishing boat sitting at the dock. [grin]
cabin.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Admin, thats one nice looking boat. What is the size on that, and motor size. Also what make, if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks Bill
ps, nice looking cabin also

I have a 17' v hull fishing boat that I used every weekend. Then about 8 years ago I bought a pontoon boat. The v hull hasn't been used since the day I got the pontoon. I like the pontoon way more 99 percent of the time. More room for casting, gear, coolers and people. I now live on a small lake that only allows electric motors. So I have been looking for a smaller pontoon with an electric motor. I like the bass buggy from tracker, There are a lot of nice options for 18 -20 footers. I will be watching this thread to see what others think.

24', 60hp Merc, I think it was a TMC. We had one of the fishing models with the large front deck that had two chair ports. I dont have any pics of the front deck but it was about this large. Which made it easy to net large walleye.

c925ca70253a60af90357e4d66145de3.jpg

24', 60hp Merc, I think it was a TMC. We had one of the fishing models with the large front deck that had two chair ports. I dont have any pics of the front deck but it was about this large. Which made it easy to net large walleye.

Does it come with all the features in that picture? If so, I might have to sell my car and make a purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Here is stock photo of the mine. I went from a Bass Tracker 18 ft, to a fishing/ski boat to this. Bought new in 2008. Dealer was great as part of purchasing it they threw in my selection of a trolling motor, 80 lb thrust 24 V Minn Kota with autopilot. After they installed it they saw the deck wouldn't last with the pull of the electric motor, so they had a piece of Diamond plate cut to fit the curve of the bow. 115 four stroke Yamaha on the stern. Its like fishing from your living room. I can get to any back swamps on the lake I'm on (Draft is less than a foot) as well as maneuvering around the rocks reefs in the wind. Breaking for lunch I can grill up some burgers and sit on the couch at the table.

img_X4QLwQkuAiykbDC.jpg

how's a pontoon fishing boat in rougher waters? The bigger lakes can get a heavy chop going if the wind's right, enough to drive a standard hulled craft off the water.

I've had some times up at Moosehead where it's gotten sorta dicey, beautiful day otherwise, just too damn rough.

how's a pontoon fishing boat in rougher waters? The bigger lakes can get a heavy chop going if the wind's right, enough to drive a standard hulled craft off the water.

I've had some times up at Moosehead where it's gotten sorta dicey, beautiful day otherwise, just too damn rough.

The lake our pontoon is on is roughly 1300 acres so it isn't a huge lake, but it never gets bad chop. So I can't really say from my experience.

Um.....those are not walleye~[banana]

I have been in really rough water with the pontoon boat and it handled it well. I know a couple people that have taken their pontoon out to the ocean from the Merrimack river. Mine has a small motor, 35hp. I wouldn't try without at least 100hp or more.

We have a 14' pontoon boat with an old 28hp 2stroke. It's not fancy, but it works, and it's great for fishing, cruising, and drinking/swimming off of out on the middle of the lake. Pontoons have to be the most versatile watercrafts out there. They do have fancy ones of all shapes and sizes too, but small and KISS works too.

Back
Top Bottom