• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fishing off of Pt. judith

Went through there yesterday going from Narragansett Bay west to CT. There were a lot of small boats out fishing near the R4 bell south of the Harbor of Refuge.

I’m not a fisherman but I’d look for the boats and group in with them.

West of Point Judith south of Charlestown breachway there were a lot of boats along with a big charter boat. We call it a “head boat.” CB is about 9nm west of Point Judith.

16 miles west is Watch Hill Passage. That was by far the busiest place. For some reason most of the boats were set up about 3 miles east of the passage in about 65 feet of water with a flood current carrying them west.

Also, I sailed a 19’ boat to BI so I wouldn’t rule out a trip over.

The forecast is for winds tomorrow out of the SSW 5 to 7 knots in the morning then up to 12 kts. in the early afternoon gusting to 15. You know your boat better than I do as far as going over to BI.

No suggestions, but good luck. Used to have a 21' Grady, great boat. Been quite a few years, I sure do miss having boats.

Went through there yesterday going from Narragansett Bay west to CT. There were a lot of small boats out fishing near the R4 bell south of the Harbor of Refuge.

I’m not a fisherman but I’d look for the boats and group in with them.

West of Point Judith south of Charlestown breachway there were a lot of boats along with a big charter boat. We call it a “head boat.” CB is about 9nm west of Point Judith.

16 miles west is Watch Hill Passage. That was by far the busiest place. For some reason most of the boats were set up about 3 miles east of the passage in about 65 feet of water with a flood current carrying them west.

Also, I sailed a 19’ boat to BI so I wouldn’t rule out a trip over.

The forecast is for winds tomorrow out of the SSW 5 to 7 knots in the morning then up to 12 kts. in the early afternoon gusting to 15. You know your boat better than I do as far as going over to BI.
Thank you for the info. The Grady is a great boat but 15 knots is usually white cap territory. boat would be safe but not comfortable. I think I will head to R4. I believe that is the Nebraska Shoals area. We are going mid day so we can duck back into the harbor of refuge and fish for flounder on the tide if it gets to bumpy. Did the trip to BI on a 26; Regal no problem. Sailboat can be smoother in alot of ways.

Nebraska Shoal is marked with the NS 2 buoy about 2 1/2 miles west of the west entrance to Harbor of Refuge.

I’ll bet that’s a good spot.

A fisherman friend told me to look for “structure” to find fish. “Structure” is rocks and shoals and wrecks. I told him as a sailor with a 6’4” draft we spend all day staying away from structure.

Good luck and have fun. I’m not on the water today but wish I was.

Back
Top Bottom