• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fishing newbie

Do you guys literally use a tape measure to see if it's a legal length fish? Any other times when you have to release it instead of consuming it?

Do you guys literally use a tape measure to see if it's a legal length fish? Any other times when you have to release it instead of consuming it?
Some hard tackle boxes have measures built into the lids. I fish from a kayak frequently, so I took a plastic sewing measuring tape and laminated it to my 'Yaks console.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes you need to measure them if they have a length limit. Check the abstract

The MA Department of Fish & Wildlife is sponsoring a couple "Adult Learn to Fish" events in June, and there are a number of places offering their own "come try it out" events. It looks like there are two weekends where maybe fishing licenses aren't required too, this site talks about June 3 & 4, and somewhere in there I saw another reference to no-license-required-on-Fathers-Day. Scroll down to the June dates on the page below.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/calendar-of-events.html

Know the water you are fishing in. CTs DEEP site usually has a list of waters were fish should not be eaten or eaten only in certain quantities, etc. I would assume MA has the same thing.

I am pretty much a catch and release guy but I'm not a huge fan of fish/seafood so I just don't bother very often. Supposedly recently stocked fish are not that good to eat anyway, at least that's what I was always told (tasted funny from being fed fish food rather than eating other fish, bugs, etc, meat on the mushy side).

Only if I need to, otherwise I got a good 6" ruler I usually always have in my pocket.... The $1 bill (or any other cash currency). They are all 6" long and you can use it as a good measurement for 6", 3", 1.5" and .75"

If fishing from shore stick to a rod 6 ft or under. I buy rods at 7 ft for my freshwater fishing from boats, it helps cast longer. Buy a two piece rod not a telescoping. The Ugly sticks are tough but lack sensitivity to detect subtle bites. The reel its important to get anti reverse, meaning when you are reeling and stop the handle does not spin back at all. This assists in setting the hook. Worms work best for bait. Spend the extra on lures at Wally world. By that I mean buy the rooster tails not the cheap knockoff. The cheap ones do not spin reliably.

Above all else have fun

[h=2]$4.99 nearby·In stock[/h]DICK'S Sporting Goods
367 Russell Street, Hampshire Mall, Hadley
Open today: 9:00 AM - 9:30 PM
See other locations

[h=2]Available online[/h]dickssportinggoods.com
Shop Online

Propel

Measure your next big catch with the Propel Fish Measuring Tape. Perfect for sticking to your boat, kayak or paddle, this stick-on tape is easy to use and boasts a water resistant design. Once your intended surface is clean, simply apply the tape at the desired location and ... more »

Browse Tape Measures »

shopping

shopping

Maybe it's better in MA but in most fairly populated areas in CT it seems like trout fishing consists of everyone and their brother standing along stream and river banks cleaning out the fish the state just stocked within 2-3 weeks.

Very little if any native trout left and what they call native now is just a handful of leftover stocked trout that managed to not get caught last year. Maybe that doesn't matter but for some reason it takes something away for me.

I will go trout fishing once in a blue moon, I just prefer bass fishing. I prefer sitting in my canoe on a pond or lake with my buddy or my daughter where I can paddle to my own spot away from others, crack open a beer and relax in peace. If the bugs come I may light up a cigar. I don't smoke at all but I'll puff on a cigar to keep bugs away.

For Bass I'm a big fan of rubber worms Texas rigged (weedless) or the occasional floating lure like a Rapalla minnow or perch or even a large spoon (Mepps or Daredevil type). Been doing well with Berkley Power Bait rubber worms lately, curly tail motor oil color.

When I do hit a stream I just stick with small spoons like Phoebe or Colorado or maybe mealie worms on a short lead from a small bobber that I let drift in the current.

You don't need to spend a fortune whichever fish you decide to go for. A $30-$40 combo rod/reel is fine with a small tackle box and a few things like have been mentioned.

Some bass me and my daughter caught in ponds/lakes in our town last year.

View attachment 199218

View attachment 199222

View attachment 199219
Very nice!

the EPO will likely have one..

Now, I've only run into EPOs while ice fishing, never out in the woods by some stream, but, you never know.

New to this thread, and haven't read any of the replies. Read the original post, so take what I'll say for whatever it's worth.

I love fly fishing for trout, but if I wasn't fly fishing, I'd almost never go after them. Trout aren't great fighters for their weight, their strikes aren't generally that impressive, and fishing for stocked trout in a lake is my least favorite kind of fishing. I just don't see the appeal--unless you're fly fishing, which I enjoy. But honestly, if there was consistent fly fishing for smallmouth within a two hour drive of Boston, I'd be there more often than I would for trout.

Largemouth bass fishing can be done fairly well from shore in lots of places and will yield bigger fish and more impressive strikes. If you're some kind of weirdo, carp fishing will get you a far better fight and much larger fish than either trout or bass. Carp are fun, and probably the biggest freshwater fish you can catch in MA.

New to this thread, and haven't read any of the replies. Read the original post, so take what I'll say for whatever it's worth.

I love fly fishing for trout, but if I wasn't fly fishing, I'd almost never go after them. Trout aren't great fighters for their weight, their strikes aren't generally that impressive, and fishing for stocked trout in a lake is my least favorite kind of fishing. I just don't see the appeal--unless you're fly fishing, which I enjoy. But honestly, if there was consistent fly fishing for smallmouth within a two hour drive of Boston, I'd be there more often than I would for trout.

Largemouth bass fishing can be done fairly well from shore in lots of places and will yield bigger fish and more impressive strikes. If you're some kind of weirdo, carp fishing will get you a far better fight and much larger fish than either trout or bass. Carp are fun, and probably the biggest freshwater fish you can catch in MA.

It may be out of your range, but the Deerfield River along rte 2 has lots of smallies.

Walden Pond and the Wachusett Reservoir have smallies as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom