Fishing/backpacking

193rdsoldier

NES Member
Me and a couple buddies are heading out on a little 4 day trip the first week of June. I'm looking for a place in Vermont or NH where we can fish some streams, rivers, and ponds over the course of a 3 night 4 day trip we will be hiking. Can you guys help me out with some locations?

I'm not looking for secret squirrel hideouts. Just general areas that fellow NES'rs have had experiences, good or bad.

For NH, I'd suggest stopping by one of the regional HQs of the Fish and Game Department.

Bring an "Atlas and Gazetteer" with you and sit down with one of the officers or biologists.

Let them know what you want to do have have them point out areas on the Gazetteer.

From there get yourself a topo map and plan the trip.

For NH, I'd suggest stopping by one of the regional HQs of the Fish and Game Department.

Bring an "Atlas and Gazetteer" with you and sit down with one of the officers or biologists.

Let them know what you want to do have have them point out areas on the Gazetteer.

From there get yourself a topo map and plan the trip.

Thanks Andy, I didn't think about talking with an officer or biologist. Good idea. I actually started going over topo maps yesterday. Found a few spots with good trails in the Pemigewasset wilderness. Now I'm trying to convince one of my buddies to head that way. He seems pretty stuck on staying on the Appalachian trail. Gotta start finding where the AT crosses some good fishing.

IMG_1374.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1377.jpgIMG_1379.jpg

Thought I would show the end result. We ended up going to the green mountains on the west side of Stratton mountain. Spent 4 days checking out the area and fishing. Well, actually 4 days of casting lures and not catching anything. At all. Not happy bout that, but had a good trip. Brought a friend on his first backpacking trip. We got soaked in a complete downpour about 45 min's out from the AT Stratton pond shelter. It was a good experience for him. He also found out a 45 degree bag and a little 1 man tent will not keep him warm when it's 38 degrees and windy Lol. We covered a lot of ground and had a good time.

I've fished some wilderness areas and think the diversity of lures you can use fly fishing is the way to go. It takes a little more finesse, but once u figure out some basic casting skills, u have unlimited flies to choose from: streamers, dry floating flies, and sub-surface beads and nymphs etc. If the local fish are used to feeding on flies, bugs, or immature / hatching bugs - depending on when you go - you'll be hard pressed to tempt them using spinning lures.

Fishing in new areas is always tough. I always try to visit the local fly shop before hitting the water. The general etiquette at fly shops is that you gotta buy a few things, like flies and leaders, while asking about advice on where to go and what flies he's got that are successful. You never want to go in asking for advice and leave empty handed. What fish are biting changes every couple weeks, so its always good to get up to date advice from the shop. Whatever fly the shop-owner says is working, buy a bunch. Plus, the shop owner can give you leads on ponds or streams that aren't getting a lot of pressure, or might be a good secluded spot to camp etc.

Here's a few pics from last summer's trip to northern Maine, wayyyy up in northern Maine.... IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0201.jpgIMG_0202.jpgIMG_0203.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0223.jpgIMG_0224.jpgIMG_0226.jpgIMG_0191.jpg

I've fished some wilderness areas and think the diversity of lures you can use fly fishing is the way to go. It takes a little more finesse, but once u figure out some basic casting skills, u have unlimited flies to choose from: streamers, dry floating flies, and sub-surface beads and nymphs etc. If the local fish are used to feeding on flies, bugs, or immature / hatching bugs - depending on when you go - you'll be hard pressed to tempt them using spinning lures.

Fishing in new areas is always tough. I always try to visit the local fly shop before hitting the water. The general etiquette at fly shops is that you gotta buy a few things, like flies and leaders, while asking about advice on where to go and what flies he's got that are successful. You never want to go in asking for advice and leave empty handed. What fish are biting changes every couple weeks, so its always good to get up to date advice from the shop. Whatever fly the shop-owner says is working, buy a bunch. Plus, the shop owner can give you leads on ponds or streams that aren't getting a lot of pressure, or might be a good secluded spot to camp etc.

Here's a few pics from last summer's trip to northern Maine, wayyyy up in northern Maine.... View attachment 69132

View attachment 69123View attachment 69124View attachment 69125View attachment 69126View attachment 69127View attachment 69128View attachment 69129View attachment 69130View attachment 69131

Good Info! Access is another important component, but it looks like you have that covered. Good looking fish.

Here's a quick example of info from shops up in Maine, near Moosehead lake and Rangeley lake for comparison, you could Google the same info for fishing in northern Vermont, NH, or where ever. As for access, just ask the shop owner what you are interested in doing (camping, hiking, hiring a guide etc) and I am sure they will point you in the right direction. It's all they do, so they know all the good fishing around their shop.

Maine Guide Fly Shop, Moosehead Lake Maine

Fishing Report ? June 4 2013

Sorry, I just read this late. I use this weird lure by South Bend called a Super Duper - small size silver w/ red head - fished slowly this was killer on mt trout in NH. VT rivers I always used Mepps Spinners Aglia size 0 or size 1 max. Roostertails in rainbow or brown trout patterns have also been very good to me in NH, VT & ME. I use 4 lb mono, UL spin rods. Other times I use an 4 wt fly rod and small streamers or dry flies - wooley buggers catch everything. You can always use a small clear bobber to fish flies w/ UL spin outfit, too.

Sorry, I just read this late. I use this weird lure by South Bend called a Super Duper - small size silver w/ red head - fished slowly this was killer on mt trout in NH. VT rivers I always used Mepps Spinners Aglia size 0 or size 1 max. Roostertails in rainbow or brown trout patterns have also been very good to me in NH, VT & ME. I use 4 lb mono, UL spin rods. Other times I use an 4 wt fly rod and small streamers or dry flies - wooley buggers catch everything. You can always use a small clear bobber to fish flies w/ UL spin outfit, too.

Thanks MD2020. Every little bit helps when learning a new area. I just picked up a canoe last night, so that should help with access points.

I do this a few times per year. What type of fish are you looking for? Its important. I like to backpack along freestone streams that hold native brookies. But, they're small fish and you might not like that.

I do this a few times per year. What type of fish are you looking for? Its important. I like to backpack along freestone streams that hold native brookies. But, they're small fish and you might not like that.

For the ponds, we were looking for anything that would bite. Panfish, smallmouth/largemouth, pickerel. Trout would have been nice as well. I'm not much of a pond fisherman though. IMG_0009.JPGIMG_0012.JPG

Fishing the small rivers and streams is more what I'm used to. In the small, high elevation streams west of Denver, I would catch small brookies with a small fly.

Anyone know of a place to spend a night (maybe 2) In a tent, light hiking, ponds available to fish that's closest to worcester county? I'd like to get out for a night or two, break in my new setup and spend some time outside, but I've got a pregnant girl at home and not want to stray that far from Leominster (no VT, ME, some NH) Anyone have any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom