• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fish pics

View attachment 105516

Brookies-my favorite fish to catch and eat.

I dont know much(or anything haha) about brook trout but I assume there is not a size limit to keepers?
It depends where you fish. There are some waters with special regulations such as only one fish over 16" or a 2 fish limit. The states I trout fish in (MA VT NH RI) generally don't have size limits for trout, although the daily bag varies from 5 to 12 per day. In most of the places I catch brookies,(small brooks, bogs and beaver ponds) a 10" fish is a nice one.

How do you cook them? Taste?
I roll them in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry them in butter. They taste delicious. Other fresh water fish that I really enjoy are smelts (jigged up through the ice), yellow perch, landlocked salmon and, when I can catch them, walleyes. But the brookies are my favorite and when I fish for them I'm looking to catch enough for a feed.

Went out this past Saturday and landed maybe 20 fish. Kept a few rainbows for the freezer.

8a3aqure.jpg

e3a7y6y7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any body fishing the on the cape for stripers? Heading to the canal for the weekend today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Any body fishing the on the cape for stripers? Heading to the canal for the weekend today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The canal has sucked, absolutely terrible the fish haven't shown there yet and the tides are "wrong" this weekend. The weekend will be full of people. Your better off on south cape ,find a rocky area and be patient...4 hours into the climbing tide my first 30# of the year last night. First of many I hope.
P6060813.jpg

It depends where you fish. There are some waters with special regulations such as only one fish over 16" or a 2 fish limit. The states I trout fish in (MA VT NH RI) generally don't have size limits for trout, although the daily bag varies from 5 to 12 per day. In most of the places I catch brookies,(small brooks, bogs and beaver ponds) a 10" fish is a nice one.

I roll them in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry them in butter. They taste delicious. Other fresh water fish that I really enjoy are smelts (jigged up through the ice), yellow perch, landlocked salmon and, when I can catch them, walleyes. But the brookies are my favorite and when I fish for them I'm looking to catch enough for a feed.

Frying them is probably the most delicious way...

I take mine and stuff them with a sprig of rosemary and lemon, olive oil up the outside, salt, pepper, and onto the grill.

Some of those on that stick are really small.

I am certainly no fisherman, but went out for striper this weekend with a coworker. My first 'big' fish!
nypu8evu.jpg

Frying them is probably the most delicious way...

I take mine and stuff them with a sprig of rosemary and lemon, olive oil up the outside, salt, pepper, and onto the grill.

Some of those on that stick are really small.

I like my brook trout fried. Most all of the natives that I catch are small, they come from small habitats. It's hard for a fish to get big when it lives in a small spring fed brook or bog. I do fish places where I catch larger brookies (say 12-14") but again, most of them are 6-8". The largest native brook trout that I've personally caught is 17" and I caught it in Massachusetts, believe it or not. I've fished many places where you would be hard pressed to catch a brookie over 9", but you could fill a pail with little ones (5-6"). Sometimes the small ones are kept because of hook injuries which are fatal, but that's OK, they still taste delicious.

Now if we're talking about stocked trout, then 12-15" fish are more the norm as far as size goes.

Last edited:
I've caught one little-ass schoolie off Sandy Neck (yeah I don't mind sharing that spot because its rare to see someone pull a keeper off the beach there.) My usual favorites on the north side have been unproductive for me. This time last year I was pulling them in like a bluefish blitz. A buddy who fished RI told me they seemed to be about 3 weeks late this year in the Spring breakout. I'm trying again this weekend rain or shine.

The canal still sucks..don't waste your time. Plus the "breaking tides" this weekend brought up a contingent of jamokes from New Jersey..all these guys came up here to fish and will be let down. Perfect..stay home next time. The ironic part is the fish are in their back yard right now.

No kidding, been reading on other forums about all these guys from NY, NJ coming to the cape to fish this weekend... Idiots will have better luck at home then drive all the way up here. Plus there is nothing good from NY or NJ.

I know a few guys down in Jersey, I told them to tell their friends not to come up. They thought I was lying trying to keep them away...they are now all complaining they came up and got skunked last night/this morning. Yesterday after a 5 hour skunking myself we were loading up to head out, met a couple young guys from NY who drove out got there a midnight,fished all night/morning and were amazed they got skunked. I showed them a few pics from one of my friends who went to Montauk the night before and was catching decent fish...they were not quite happy , but I enjoyed the hell out of laughing at them.

- - - Updated - - -

I've caught one little-ass schoolie off Sandy Neck (yeah I don't mind sharing that spot because its rare to see someone pull a keeper off the beach there.)
I've told you plenty of times..get used to no sleep and come out with me.

On the small brookies, That I like to call breakfast brookies. I cook a couple slices of bacon in the pan, then I toss in the fish in the pan when done, I toss in the eggs. Doesn't get any better than that.

This is the truth. Sitting on the porch at camp with that breakfast and a cup of good coffee is pure bliss.

Got some fly fishing in this past weekend up in northern Maine. Beautiful country up there....

e7u2e7yg.jpg

u7eryquj.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

My uncle had a fishing/hunting camp in northwestern ME. Actually it was a former commercial fishing camp that he and 5 of his friends bought. It was located on a small, fly fishing only pond (which shall remain un-named, sorry, I'm pretty sure my cousins, his kids, still own it) that contained 6 cabins, the only ones on the pond and they each owned one. The layout was such that they were spread out, and not to close together. I'm guessing about 6 acres.

The pond was filled with native rainbows. They built a smoke house in the middle of the compound that worked beautifully. Let me tell you, the best breakfast I've ever had was rainbow trout, cold smoked overnight, with eggs over-easy, toast, and home made homefries! [smile]

30# bass yesterday

10317587_10203081803458644_8966445671337830141_o.j  pg

with video, i just uploaded it so its only 360p, should be 1080p hd soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom