• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fish pics

Now, this is a trout!

Enormous Trout

what a pig! I've got several decent brownie stories, but this is my favorite, and personal best:

I was wading a fairly well known section of the Blackstone River in RI. It had rained for several days prior, and the water was high. So high, that it made what I would call...less than safe. I waded out into the usual area I start at and began blind casting with my 3wt fly rod...the fish are generally on the smaller size as they are stocked. I had no luck for the first half hour, when I saw across the river, set back under some over hanging brush, a trout sipping flies off the top. I tied on my go to fly for this river, an elk hair caddis tied in all black, with a copper rib. Now, it was time to wade into position...and this was a problem. The optimum casting position to swing the fly under the brush put me into a fairly swift rapid...oh well, no one ever got a good story out of playing it safe. I waded out waist deep as far as I could. I laced a perfect cast of about 60 feet just upstream, the drift was so perfect I can still picture it...and then I saw the fish come up and take the fly. On a 3wt fly rod, any fish feels like a monster. This fish, coupled with the current took me for a ride. 50yds down stream it took me into a slower run where I was able to land it. 22", aproximately 3lbs. Not the biggest fish ever caught, but an absolute monster for the blackstone, as anyone who has fished it will tell you. Unfortunately, I had no camera, so I admired it for a moment and released it to get caught again.

what a pig! I've got several decent brownie stories, but this is my favorite, and personal best:

I was wading a fairly well known section of the Blackstone River in RI. It had rained for several days prior, and the water was high. So high, that it made what I would call...less than safe. I waded out into the usual area I start at and began blind casting with my 3wt fly rod...the fish are generally on the smaller size as they are stocked. I had no luck for the first half hour, when I saw across the river, set back under some over hanging brush, a trout sipping flies off the top. I tied on my go to fly for this river, an elk hair caddis tied in all black, with a copper rib. Now, it was time to wade into position...and this was a problem. The optimum casting position to swing the fly under the brush put me into a fairly swift rapid...oh well, no one ever got a good story out of playing it safe. I waded out waist deep as far as I could. I laced a perfect cast of about 60 feet just upstream, the drift was so perfect I can still picture it...and then I saw the fish come up and take the fly. On a 3wt fly rod, any fish feels like a monster. This fish, coupled with the current took me for a ride. 50yds down stream it took me into a slower run where I was able to land it. 22", aproximately 3lbs. Not the biggest fish ever caught, but an absolute monster for the blackstone, as anyone who has fished it will tell you. Unfortunately, I had no camera, so I admired it for a moment and released it to get caught again.

Nice story. I have fished the black stone, and that is a huge fish for that river. There is nothing like catching a big fish on a 3wt. I have been catching salmon on a 3 wt in NH.

I was out enjoying the weather in Charlestown near the Naval Yards and saw a dude fishing so I asked him what he's catching. He showed me a 27" striper. So I walk away and he yells over to me "dude help me I got a big one!"

I've never done salt water fishing nor do I know jack about it. So he finally gets a hold on it and hands me the rod. Holy shit do they thrash.

Here's the pic

abage7e7.jpg

shot a 25lb bass in the race today after work. not a bad fish considering the visibility and overall lack of fish. this was the only fish i got today, my friend got a 15lber. like i said there is not much going on out there yet, give it a week or two and we'll start seeing the bigger fish out in the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
shot a 25lb bass in the race today after work. not a bad fish considering the visibility and overall lack of fish. this was the only fish i got today, my friend got a 15lber. like i said there is not much going on out there yet, give it a week or two and we'll start seeing the bigger fish out in the sound.

W-T-F!

That is awesome!

me2.jpg
Last year, first keeper from shore, roughly 20lbs...Way up the taunton river, in May.

photo(4).jpg
Last night, drifting eels in plymouth bay. Only boat out there. Fish on the left 28lbs measured, caught on a fluke rod with 15lb test.

Nice fish! I cooked a few filets last night for some guests. Real simple recipe: One filet dowsed in yellow mustard and zesty Italian dressing, wrapped in foil and on the charcoal grille for 15 mins. Comes out awesome.

Think about this: Two big keepers' worth of filets would be what, $100 worth of fish when they can sell it at the grocery store/ fish market?

From last Tuesday Jun 25th - Northern Pike 30" and 7.8 pounds, my largest one yet.
20130625_184236.jpg

This is the reaction of someone with bare feet when the same pike with large teeth and a razor sharp hook still in it's mouth falls into the boat and starts to thrash around.
20130625_184134.jpg

Edit: Actually I thought the hook was still in its mouth, the reason it fell into the boat was because the hook broke.

Last edited:
This was fishing with the gf on last Wed. I didn't catch any new personal records that day (just a 17" largemouth and 27" northern) but for some unexplained reason it was a very memorable day fishing.
IMAG0595.jpg
IMAG0604.jpg

If any of you notice the fish she is holding it was a 13" largemouth

Last edited:
Ive caught 95% of all the bass and pike with a plastic worm. I use a #3 or 4 gamakatsu offset shank worm ewg hook with a weedless texas rig, no sinker.

This was fishing with the gf on last Wed. I didn't catch any new personal records that day (just a 17" largemouth and 27" northern) but for some unexplained reason it was a very memorable day fishing.
View attachment 71689
View attachment 71688

If any of you notice the fish she is holding it was a 13" largemouth

Nice.......................fish

On a worm? How did you rig it?

See what u did there............

- - - Updated - - -

From last Tuesday Jun 25th - Northern Pike 30" and 7.8 pounds, my largest one yet.
View attachment 71686

This is the reaction of someone with bare feet when the same pike with large teeth and a razor sharp hook still in it's mouth falls into the boat and starts to thrash around.
View attachment 71687

Edit: Actually I thought the hook was still in its mouth, the reason it fell into the boat was because the hook broke.

You keep or release it?

I always release, except just this week i had a 17" largemouth swallow the hook and bleed out so i had my first taste of bass yesterday. Pretty good, tastes like blue gill or tilapia. Was great with a dash of old bay on it and broiled.

Back
Top Bottom